Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th December 2021, 17:05   #11
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A friend of the wife has a Jaguar I pace, its actually her husbands but he found the range was so bad he started using her car as she only has a 100 round mile trip to work.

It makes you wonder if it would be a good idea to buy a few ICE powered vehicles while you still can and store them away.
I hope I already have! Just don't fancy going electric, and can't afford to!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 22:49   #12
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
I have one nagging thought at the back of my mind . . . . are the current generation of BEVs the equivalent of the Squariel or betamax video
The current models being fairly useless will probably end up just like the Dodo.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 03:42   #13
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
The current models being fairly useless will probably end up just like the Dodo.
Well my current 'useless' MG ZS EV has now done over 19000 miles flawlessly and hasn't left us stranded once. If fact I've only seen the low battery light on twice so far, both times at the end of long journeys when I knew I was pushing it.

EV's are great and the take up is staggering now. When we got ours a year and a half ago we very rarely saw another EV in Norfolk and on longer runs when we needed to use a public charger it was rare to see another car charging. That's changed dramatically and now the problem is finding a free charger.

That said for the sake of balance and from the perspective of someone who actually owns and drives one there are issues. Range is the biggy here. As an example our ZS should be able to do 160 miles according to MG however that's a lie. In the summer I've pushed it to 145 miles and despite it saying it had 10 miles left I was glad to get home. In the winter it's much worse, I wouldn't want to take it much over 100 miles when it's freezing.
The point here is that manufacturers need to be much clearer when selling EV's about what they can and can't do. For us 100 miles in winter is not a problem at all as the most we ever need the car to do is 60 miles and we have a home charger however if someone bought a ZS thinking it would do a 120 mile commute in the winter they would be in for a shock.

We do love the ZS, it's nice to drive, stupidly cheap to run and I love not having to go to petrol stations, it's so much more convenient just plugging in when I get home rather then having to make a detour to queue to get fuel.
We bought the car just for the daily commute with the intention being that the X5 would still be the main family car however very quickly that changed and I would guess that 90% of our motoring is now done in the EV.
Old 5th December 2021, 09:14   #14
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Our ' useless' ZSEV has been superb over the past year and has saved Mrs Simondi around £5.50 a day in her daily travel costs. Assuming she works 20 days a month that works out at a saving of £110 a month. Takeaway the additional cost on finance and she is £40 a month better off. No road tax and minimal service costs.

Seems like our useless ZSEV is doing a pretty good job
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 10:03   #15
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

For shorter regular journeys I think EVs are perfect especially if you drive through urban areas. My wife did look at this option when she replaced her car earlier in the year as a full charge would probably last her a week. The purchase cost put her off.

It's longer journeys that are the problem, if you have a range of 200 miles or a lot less as it appears and then have to spend an hour approximately so that you can travel the same distance again makes them a lot less convenient for longer journeys. If the charge times could be decreased to under 15 mins then they will become a truly viable option.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 10:11   #16
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:

LOL My "useless" ZS EV drives like a charm & fits my driving requirements perfectly, I haven't put petrol in a car since this time last year & I cant tell you how good that feels.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 10:31   #17
spongeh
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 180 Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
I have one nagging thought at the back of my mind . . . . are the current generation of BEVs the equivalent of the Squariel or betamax video
The current generation of BEV will most likely go the same way as the betamax video, but why should that put you off?

We had many years of good use out of our Betamax system until we finally replaced it with a VHS, but then that got replaced with a DVD system, which then got replaced by blueray and now we stream everything on Netflix.

Most people keep cars for 2 - 3 years, so does it really matter that your current one is a betamax, it still does everything you need it to do until a VHS system is available or should you miss out on the benefits of a BEV while you wait 30 years for Netflix to come along.
spongeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 10:56   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

This may just be a coincidence, but all the people I know who own an EV love it and say that the car perfectly matches their needs.

Some of the comments on the forum feel a bit like 'totally useless for us living on a lighthouse'. Yes there is a need to match vehicle type being purchased with requirements and personal circumstances. Surely this is nothing new?

The Betamax vs VHS situation was totally different. It was about industry standards for compatibility. The only compatibility issue that could arise with an EV would be with the charging plug if the current form was ever to change. This is hardly going to be a major problem.

In any case, it is still possible to use a Betamax system without any issues unless the user needs compatibility with widely available pre-recorded media.

Last edited by MSS; 5th December 2021 at 12:14.. Reason: Spelling correction
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 12:43   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

This thread has now become very interesting due to the posts containing facts and not just speculation like my posts

It's very good to debate and the end result is, more often than not, the actual truth.

COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 21:35   #20
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

I think the thing to remember is that not all cars suit all people or situations.
Our TF wouldn't really be suitable for taking the family out.
The ZSEV isn't really suitable for a long distance drive.
My 190 isnt really suitable for short trips around town ( but is perfect for just about everything else )

Sadly my company car is suitable for all of the above BUT unlike the TF, EV or ZT gives zero pleasure to drive
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote