Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th December 2021, 10:28   #11
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
And also do the cable box modification if it hasn't been done already, i.e. when you take the cover off, if you can see the cable barrels then remove them from the slider and turn the slider upside-down. Put the cover back on and cable-tie the whole assembly to the inner wing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
Managed to get one bonnet latch open so far, the other (drivers side) is proving more stubborn.

Have identified the original problem though, the line in from the cabin has come free of the splitter.

Tea break out of the rain, then I’ll go for round two.
Hi Tom.
When you have managed to pull on the second cable to release the bonnet as above turn over the black block so the nipples of the cable are under side of the block.

Personally i would not cable-tie the whole assembly to the inner wing, as if for any reason it happens again you will struggle to get the assembly from the inner wing through the procedure you have been given.

You can do another mod to aid getting at the cables, in which you use to long cable ties, one around the single cable, and one around the double cables as in the photo below.

Tuck these cable ties down the edge which will then rest in front of the opening in the wheel arch

Therefore in the future you would just need to remove the wheel arch liner flap and grab the cable ties and pull, thus bringing the cables to you through the flap gap.

This is the belt and braces approach.

Another tip is the half moons in the latch do not grease these as it will attract dirt, if you ever remove the slam panel remove the latches take them apart and clean inside then grease inside only so they move freely.

The latches can also be eased by undoing the two 8mm bolts either side very little at a time, so the moons freely move when the cable is pulled

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2021, 11:06   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Another tip is the half moons in the latch do not grease these as it will attract dirt ...
The reason that some people have trouble with the bonnet release system is that it hasn't been lubricated.
The white plastic tips of the strikers (which I think is what Steve is calling "half moons") are in mechanical contact with the receptacle by operating a spring loaded lever. They also need to slide along the length of the spigot against the spring tension. Such mechanical movement requires lubrication for efficiency and reliability. If these moving parts are left dry you risk the bonnet release system becoming harder to operate or failing to work at all.

The cable operated latch is situated directly behind the grille so is easily contaminated by dust and rain mixing with the lubricant and forming a thick, gritty paste as Steve mentions. That's why earlier I suggested removing it for cleaning and re-lubrication. I've had to do this only once in my 17 years of ownership.

The golden rule is that mechanical linkages need lubrication!

Simon
Old 14th December 2021, 11:16   #13
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

The half moons to which Steve refers are the semi circle latches on the slam panel, which move in and out when pulling the lever Simon 😎

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2021, 11:22   #14
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
The half moons to which Steve refers are the semi circle latches on the slam panel, which move in and out when pulling the lever Simon 😎
Ah thanks Ron, as indicated by the screwdriver tip in Steve's final photograph!

Anything which moves in and out when pulling the lever requires greasing in my view.

Simon
Old 14th December 2021, 15:15   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
Hi Ron.
Spot on i have just finished sorting out my spare latches and bonnet strikers.

Only grease to be found is inside the latch, as in the photos below.

Silicone spray only on the spigot and springs.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 14th December 2021, 16:48   #16
SD1too

Quote:
Silicone spray only on the spigot and springs.

I agree, silicone spray is excellent stuff, just so long as it's lubricated!

Simon
Old 15th December 2021, 11:05   #17
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

Little update.

I finally managed to get the second latch open, had to give up yesterday as I was needed elsewhere, and was on the verge of giving up this morning when finally that stubborn latch popped.

The relief when I heard the satisfying clunk was nothing short of heavenly.

Battery is now on charge, and my next job is to lubricate and clean as instructed above. The latches are very stiff, so I’m guessing this is what’s caused the cable to come loose at the splitter. I’ll also be switching the splitter around as detailed in the photos above too.

One final question of assistance re the bonnet release though. My aggressive pulling of the cables etc has unfortunately meant that the wire into the cabin has disappeared up into the bowels of the footwell, what’s the best way of removing the trim panel here to retrieve it?

Thanks for all your help so far guys, I’d have been completely lost otherwise.
Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2021, 09:44   #18
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
Little update.

I finally managed to get the second latch open, had to give up yesterday as I was needed elsewhere, and was on the verge of giving up this morning when finally that stubborn latch popped.

The relief when I heard the satisfying clunk was nothing short of heavenly.

Battery is now on charge, and my next job is to lubricate and clean as instructed above. The latches are very stiff, so I’m guessing this is what’s caused the cable to come loose at the splitter. I’ll also be switching the splitter around as detailed in the photos above too.

Quote:
One final question of assistance re the bonnet release though. My aggressive pulling of the cables etc has unfortunately meant that the wire into the cabin has disappeared up into the bowels of the footwell, what’s the best way of removing the trim panel here to retrieve it?

Thanks for all your help so far guys, I’d have been completely lost otherwise.
Hi Tom.
I am almost sure you just pop the panel off go carefully, now you have the bonnet open you should be able to reverse push the cable back into the footwell from the engine bay, then re-attach it to the lever.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 16th December 2021, 15:33   #19
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

Quote:
Hi Tom.
I am almost sure you just pop the panel off go carefully, now you have the bonnet open you should be able to reverse push the cable back into the footwell from the engine bay, then re-attach it to the lever.
Thanks, got it off and have found the cable nicely, just a matter of sticking everything back together now, I hope. But fading daylight has curtailed my work.

Managed to hook the battery back up and get the car started though. So turns out it was indeed just a low battery.
Old 17th December 2021, 16:22   #20
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

Well, I put everything back together this afternoon. It all works, but I’m not sure I entirely trust it not to go on the wonk again. Even after cleaning up the latches and lubricating them etc they are still quite stiff, so I think at some point I’m going to need to get the slam panel off and give them a good seeing to.

Car is needed over the busy Christmas period though, so it’ll have to do for now.

Thanks again to all who have posted with help and tips.