Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th December 2021, 11:23   #11
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithA View Post
I don't tend to do my own oil changes these days.... Can't be bothered with the fuss of getting rid of the oil. Instead I just get the garage to do it at mot time, then do the test of the service myself. So I haven't observed this on a 75.

However, might it be related to the large oil capacity of the m47r engine? The void in the oil filter will be a very small % of overall capacity so it gets up to pressure very quickly?

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk
I don't think the oil capacity is a factor. If the sump was twice the size the filter would take the same time to fill. It mainly depends on the condition of the oil pump and if it's a refill from dry or after a normal drain down.--------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2021, 11:39   #12
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I have never heard of anyone starting a dry engine to add oil, but it would be the only way I can think of for an oil light to remain on for longer than normal with our engines (or any with a remote filter) after an oil change.

Actually prefer oil to whiskey (spelled correctly - search for Black Bush - dare ya )
Worn oil Pump ???

You can tell by the spelling spirits are foreign to me.---I can vaguely remember maybe 60 years ago having a Bacardi and coke or Vodka and lime but that's it.

Nowadays it might be the odd small bottle of beer once or twice a week.

COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2021, 11:50   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Worn oil Pump ???

You can tell by the spelling spirits are foreign to me.---I can vaguely remember maybe 60 years ago having a Bacardi and coke or Vodka and lime but that's it.

Nowadays it might be the odd small bottle of beer once or twice a week.

the spelling depends on where the whiskey, or whisky is made

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2021, 12:16   #14
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I've never heard of anyone starting the engine after draining the oil and then trying to fill it with the engine running.--Blow back past the pistons would blow the oil straight back out of the filler cap. The oil light would never go out.---

However you. personally, would be very well oiled.---

Though I'm sure you would prefer whisky to oil.----
As anyone who started the engine after accidentally forgetting to put the oil cap back on can tell you
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 06:11   #15
buchanan
Buchanan

Rover 75 connoisseur se ctdi Auto

I would be more worried if the oil light did not go out quickly, going out quickly it shows your oil pump is doing its job.
buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 18:09   #16
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchanan View Post
I would be more worried if the oil light did not go out quickly, going out quickly it shows your oil pump is doing its job.
It's not going out quickly , it's going out instantly.

After asking the question ,it appears that no one has ever on any car , when going for the first start up after an oil and filter change, looked at the oil light and had to wait a couple of seconds for it to go out whilst it builds up the pressure !

My tourer behaves as any other car on first start after an oil change and then after goes out straight away on every other start up.

The connie and my mates mark 2 connie auto both go out in sync with the battery light which made me wonder if someone had been joining some wires behind the clocks to hide a fault.

There isn't a blockage in the engine as it would have seized, and there won't be pressure still in the engine before it's restarted so I'm not going to worry as we are both in the dog house after she failed her MOT .
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 18:39   #17
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post

After asking the question ,it appears that no one has ever on any car , when going for the first start up after an oil and filter change, looked at the oil light and had to wait a couple of seconds for it to go out whilst it builds up the pressure !
I have, but only noticed this on engines with the oil filter mounted directly to the block, and not a remote filter as on the M47 or the Passat B5.5 pd 130 engine I had before.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 18:59   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
After asking the question ,it appears that no one has ever on any car , when going for the first start up after an oil and filter change, looked at the oil light and had to wait a couple of seconds for it to go out whilst it builds up the pressure.
I don't know about a couple of seconds Pete, but I get a slight delay when starting the engine after an oil change before the oil light goes out.

Quote:
The connie and my mates mark 2 connie auto both go out in sync with the battery light which made me wonder if someone had been joining some wires behind the clocks to hide a fault.
If you are worried, pull the plug off the oil pressure switch and check to see if the oil light stays on after the engine has been started.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 19:07   #19
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

If you think the oil light might be telling lies, just unplug it at the pressure switch = if light remains on, you can be reasonably sure it's doing its job..

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 19th December 2021 at 06:34..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote