Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd January 2022, 07:55   #1
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Wink Sunroof drain leak?

Hi
I am not new to leaks on my Rover as I'm sure many LTH aren't. I have successfully cured boot leaks and passenger sunroof drain, but I now have the familiar steamed up front and rear windscreens and that musty smell again. I suspect it's either the drivers side sun roof drain or the front scuttle. The amount of water in the footwell points to the sunroof drain. Have we any links to the drivers sunroof drain before I embark on yet another fix?
2021 was a a good year for repairs with almost trouble free motoring. I'm hoping the exhaust and now this aren't bad omens for 2022!
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2022, 10:03   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
Hi
I am not new to leaks on my Rover as I'm sure many LTH aren't. I have successfully cured boot leaks and passenger sunroof drain, but I now have the familiar steamed up front and rear windscreens and that musty smell again. I suspect it's either the drivers side sun roof drain or the front scuttle.
Quote:
The amount of water in the footwell points to the sunroof drain. Have we any links to the drivers sunroof drain before I embark on yet another fix?
2021 was a a good year for repairs with almost trouble free motoring. I'm hoping the exhaust and now this aren't bad omens for 2022!
Hi Rob
Link below i will try and replace the photos once i find them.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=118622&page=3

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2022, 14:24   #3
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Question

Thank you Arctic.
Discovered that the passenger footwell is soaked too. It was around 8yr since I did my repair on this side, but the drivers side has never been done in 19 years I will get onto it and rod the drains while I'm at it. I'm hoping it's not anything else. All the classic signs point to the sunroof drains that have become blocked. I know my rear ones are OK, so would it be simpler to just to block up the front one's? Has anyone tried this?
Thanks very much
Old 2nd January 2022, 14:35   #4
petelondon

rover 75 tourer

I had blocked duckbills on the front drains and although the rears were clear water still came in so wouldn’t recommend.
petelondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2022, 16:07   #5
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Red face sunroof drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Rob
Link below i will try and replace the photos once i find them.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=118622&page=3

Hi Arctic
Spent a few hours on this . Today I actually found the pipe on the drivers side. The carpet in the footwell was lifted (not removed) and there must be a few gallon in the sponge foam. I poured a little water down the sunroof drain and it identified where the pipe was inside. I had dislodged the pipe by rodding from the sun roof end. Rodded the bulk head into the Wheel arch , so everything seems clear. However my pipe connectors are the wrong size (bought from Halfords). I will have to order some more. What size are your pipe connectors?
Old 4th January 2022, 21:40   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I use 12mm PU pipe siliconed into the existing sunroof tube, and ran out into the wheel arch, this does away with the connectors and reduces the risk of failure.
Old 9th January 2022, 16:19   #7
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I use 12mm PU pipe siliconed into the existing sunroof tube, and ran out into the wheel arch, this does away with the connectors and reduces the risk of failure.
Hello Andy. I've still not completed this job and have had problems getting to the sunroof drain drivers side. My son is a plumber and he has got me thinking about your solution using CT silicone sealant that he uses for shower trays. Can be used in the wet or dry. I was wondering about using a length of pipe, as you suggest. What is the exact dimensions of the pipe you chose. Internal and external diameters plus the length of the pipe used on each side. How did you get the old pipe out?