Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th January 2016, 20:44   #1
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

Default Remap

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a remap on my cdti. I was looking at getting the 160 map off philt4, but I've heard of the custom remaps that are about.
Not having had the chance to try a remapped car, can anyone explain the benefits and negatives if there are any, of both types, and also when compared to a standard car.
The car is auto if that makes a difference.
Thanks
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 20:50   #2
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

I'd think about a 190 brake upgrade if you're remapping a diesel to around 350nm torque.
Standard 284mm probably aren't sufficient to brake hard from mid boost

Chaz Lee gets some good rep but depends what you want from the map.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 21:06   #3
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Dansrockin,

Phil done my remap on Friday and it really is worth it. My car is a R75 tourer auto originally 116 powered so this is a very useful increase.

The car pulls much smoother now, and when one wants to, she really shifts . I have already seen an improvement in my MPG and, once my MAF sensor is replaced, I expect to see another increase. I'm only talking about 4-5 MPG improvement, but added up over a year its worthwhile.

Not to mention the driving pleasure!

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 21:07   #4
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

In a car with a manual gearbox, you can expect to see an improvement in economy (provided you drive gently) as the extra power allows you to hold higher gears for longer. This advantage is largely lost on the auto where it changes at preset revs/throttle positions, however it won't hurt the economy.

Of course, the engine is also more powerful which is useful if you tow, and can make the car feel nicer to drive because it's more responsive. Two caveats though: 1) if your car is suffering because of a fault (either known about or otherwise), then that needs addressing first as the remap could potentially make things worse. 2) your insurance company will definitely want to know about this modification and are likely to increase your premium. Unlike a tuning box, it's not easy to tell if the engine has been remapped, but nor is it impossible and the insurers will very likely investigate further if you're involved in a crash where it may have been a contributing factor.
Sector-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 21:33   #5
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Hi Dan, do a little digging/homework, and be sure whatever re-map you decide on isn't going to ruin your car. Get assurances that you can have the map reversed if not satisfied. Just be careful, there's a lot of mappers out there just out to make a fast buck.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 00:04   #6
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

04 MG ZT+ 190 XPG & 99 (T) Dealer Launch 75 V6 Connie Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Hi Dan, do a little digging/homework, and be sure whatever re-map you decide on isn't going to ruin your car. Get assurances that you can have the map reversed if not satisfied. Just be careful, there's a lot of mappers out there just out to make a fast buck.
Take note of the above advice!

That said, as long as the PCV, EGR, Inlet manifold, boost hose, MAF, intercooler & associated O rings are all clean/good. You will see a great improvement in power and response.
Phil is a great guy, who offers a great service for the money. He will inspect your car for faults with his T4 before applying the 160 map anyhow, plus also enable/disable options at the same time. For me both the map and overall service are worth every penny.

Enjoy the drive home!

Just realised my subs have run out! Come on payday!

Upgrades/Mods so far:
Custom Angel Eye DRL's, MG7 Rear lights, Custom Door Cards, MGR Plates, Red Alcantara Seats, Black Oak Dash, Powerflex bushes, Plenum Spy Mod, Rear Light Seals, 5000K HID Kit, Navall 3 DD, Blue LED Conversion, Custom badges, Union badges, Flip key. Working on more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
daznkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 00:35   #7
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Hi Dan. want a test drive in a re-mapped diesel done by Phil T-4, drop me a line and arrange a drive in Roger.
Cheers JohnH.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 02:17   #8
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Get the 160 remap done by one of our accredited installers, I.E. Marinabrian, BigRuss, or PhilT4 who is your nearest 160 remapper innit.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 04:45   #9
eumjmorris
Loves to post

R75 now just two diesel tourers

get the remap, from Phil T4 as your nearest, and you wont regret it, it does transform the car, without spoiling economy in my experience, but giving the power you need, when you need it....
eumjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 05:12   #10
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Get the 160 remap done by one of our accredited installers, I.E. Marinabrian, BigRuss, or PhilT4 who is your nearest 160 remapper innit.
I would agree with this, and my next comment is not to discredit anyone so please do not start a thread war

Recently had issues in the Area of Sheffield and Barnsley where an uncredited person has "re-mapped" ECU's and basically only copied a 'stolen' file off another members ECU well just to say that it wasn't actually a re-map and did nothing for the performance of the car

So I too strongly recommend you only consider letting one of our T4 guys anywhere near your ECU or indeed plug any type of diagnostic hardware into your vehicle.

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote