Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th December 2021, 10:08   #1
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Default Current Drain in Perspective

With many posts on current drain and charging times etc. I thought it would be useful to put things into perspective. So here are some calculations for members' perusal and comment. I have done the calculations to show the energy held in the battery or consumed from the battery as this (or the equivalent charge) is the most useful measure.

Key points to note:

1. A 72Ah battery will probably have a residual capacity of around 50Ah after a few years of use, storing a maximum of 2200kJ.

2. Starting does not consume as much energy as many people believe - around 7.5kJ when used with glow plugs.

3. The main factor to consider with a car that stands unused is the quiescent current drain of the electronics. Even for the ideal scenario of a 25mA to 30mA drain, it would require the car to be driven for up to an hour to bring the battery up to full charge after one week of standing. This is because despite the rating of the alternator, a battery can only accept charge at a maximum rate of around 1/10 of its capacity.

4. A 4A maintenance charger will take about 1.5 hours to replenish one week's worth of energy usage with the car standing unused. A 0.8A maintenance charger will require a few hours.

All the calculations assume a nominal 12V battery voltage and the numbers have been rounded. There are a lot of variables involved but this should provide a useful ballpark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car energy usage.jpg (69.7 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by MSS; 12th December 2021 at 10:20.. Reason: Additions
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2021, 08:35   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

No comments, alternative views, additional information etc. from anyone?

Where is COLVERT. Surely there must be a spelling mistake in the post somewhere?
Old 13th December 2021, 10:13   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
No comments, alternative views, additional information etc. from anyone?

Where is COLVERT. Surely there must be a spelling mistake in the post somewhere?
There is.---Lol.

Fourth item down in your chart.

Mind you, I agree with the rest of your post except for one item.--My diesel starter motor takes 150 amps according to the tech spec.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2021, 11:21   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

A flat battery takes so long to charge by driving, via the alternator, because once a battery is on charge - its voltage rises rapidly to oppose the flow of current into it. The only way to speed up the flow of current, is to increase the voltage.

Checking the discharge rate when parked, is very easy on the 75 - there is a bus-bar link in the under bonnet fuse panel, which carries all of the loads except the stater motor. Mine CDTi draws 20mA when parked and locked.

My 75 CDTi is used very irregularly, most of it's time is spent in my garage, so looking after my batteries have always been an issue.

I originally would aim for putting the battery on a Smart charge, every week or two - that sort of worked, but relied upon me to remember to put it on charge and take it off regularly - and I hate having to remember to do things.

It is not good for a battery to be left to discharge, nor is it good to have a battery on a permanent maintenance charge.

A better scheme I devised, was to have a dumb charger, powered from a 24 hour plug in timer, set to power the dumb charger for 20 minutes per day.

I have since replaced the plug in timer with a Smart plug, controlled by Alexa, to come on for 20 minutes per day.

Another thing I have done, is to make it easier to connect the charger...

I originally tried fitting a lighter plug onto the charger and plugging that in the lighter socket. It sort of worked, but not very well - the resistance of the wiring loom between socket and battery, seriously limited the ability to charge, so I would end up lifting the bonnet and attaching directly across the battery to get an effective charge.

Instead, I added a second socket, hidden behind the glovebox lid and just to the right, connected to the heavy duty cable for the towing socket.

The charger is fixed to a beam in the garage, with a long lead and ciggy plug hanging down, ready to plug into the car, next to the drivers door.

As ciggy lighter sockets are not absolutely reliable to connect to, I added a telltail....

Just an LED powered via a flasher circuit, across the charging lead where it dangles from the ceiling. It gives a brief flash, every few seconds when it sees 12v power from the battery and only draws around 0.5mA.

The flashing LED enables me confirm my ciggy lighter plug has a good connection before I get out of the car and provides me with a means to check at a glance that I remember to plug it in, each time I pop in the garage.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 13th December 2021 at 11:27..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2021, 11:27   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
There is.---Lol.

Fourth item down in your chart.

Mind you, I agree with the rest of your post except for one item.--My diesel starter motor takes 150 amps according to the tech spec.

My CDT starter is also rated at 150A. But some 3.0L V6 diesel starters are rated at 250A so I used this figure. This gave the worst case scenario and still showed that starting a car does not consume much energy in relative terms.

On most of our cars I have a fused connector coming out around the grill area. These are either a CTEK Comfort Connectors or a 2-pin SAE connector. I just plug the maintenance chargers into these as necessary.

Last edited by MSS; 13th December 2021 at 11:36..
Old 13th December 2021, 22:07   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
My CDT starter is also rated at 150A. But some 3.0L V6 diesel starters are rated at 250A so I used this figure. This gave the worst case scenario and still showed that starting a car does not consume much energy in relative terms.

On most of our cars I have a fused connector coming out around the grill area. These are either a CTEK Comfort Connectors or a 2-pin SAE connector. I just plug the maintenance chargers into these as necessary.
That spelling mistake though------

Bit your bum a bit did it.--so you-------
Old 13th December 2021, 22:11   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
That spelling mistake though------

Bit your bum a bit did it.--so you-------

I'm surprised only one of the mistakes was found. Losing that special touch, perhaps we are?
Old 14th December 2021, 09:23   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
I'm surprised only one of the mistakes was found. Losing that special touch, perhaps we are?
Definitely not losing it.---Can't be as so many folk tell me I'm touched.
Old 16th December 2021, 20:29   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
OK---OK---A bit more info.---Lol.

Glow plugs.-The light goes out but the glow plug carries on working until the ECU tells it that the engine has no more need of it.--
Like the automatic enrichment of the fuel gets less as the engine warms up.

Last edited by COLVERT; 17th December 2021 at 11:57..
Old 16th December 2021, 20:46   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
1/--A flat battery takes so long to charge by driving, via the alternator, because once a battery is on charge - its voltage rises rapidly to oppose the flow of current into it. The only way to speed up the flow of current, is to increase the voltage.

2/--Checking the discharge rate when parked, is very easy on the 75 - there is a bus-bar link in the under bonnet fuse panel, which carries all of the loads except the starter motor. Mine CDTi draws 20mA when parked and locked.
y 75 CDTi is used very irregularly, most of it's time is spent in my garage, so looking after my batteries have always been an issue.

3/--I originally would aim for putting the battery on a Smart charge, every week or two - that sort of worked, but relied upon me to remember to put it on charge and take it off regularly - and I hate having to remember to do things.

4/--It is not good for a battery to be left to discharge, nor is it good to have a battery on a permanent maintenance charge.

5/--A better scheme I devised, was to have a dumb charger, powered from a 24 hour plug in timer, set to power the dumb charger for 20 minutes per day.

6/--I have since replaced the plug in timer with a Smart plug, controlled by Alexa, to come on for 20 minutes per day.

Another thing I have done, is to make it easier to connect the charger...

7/--I originally tried fitting a lighter plug onto the charger and plugging that in the lighter socket. It sort of worked, but not very well - the resistance of the wiring loom between socket and battery, seriously limited the ability to charge, so I would end up lifting the bonnet and attaching directly across the battery to get an effective charge.

8/--Instead, I added a second socket, hidden behind the glove box lid and just to the right, connected to the heavy duty cable for the towing socket.

The charger is fixed to a beam in the garage, with a long lead and ciggy plug hanging down, ready to plug into the car, next to the drivers door.

As ciggy lighter sockets are not absolutely reliable to connect to, I added a tell tail....

Just an LED powered via a flasher circuit, across the charging lead where it dangles from the ceiling. It gives a brief flash, every few seconds when it sees 12v power from the battery and only draws around 0.5mA.

The flashing LED enables me confirm my ciggy lighter plug has a good connection before I get out of the car and provides me with a means to check at a glance that I remember to plug it in, each time I pop in the garage.
Bon jour Harry.

Item 1.--The charging rate on the car and the rate at which a charger puts current into a battery is about the same.---By increasing the voltage you also generate heat which can. if in excess. boil the water out of the electrolite.-

Item 3-- I use a solar charger which puts in around 1.2 watts to compensate for the normal internal losses of a lead acid car battery.

Item 7--The lead to the cigar lighter is heavy duty and thus will have minimum voltage loss. It can carry enough current to make the lighter Glow.

---