Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st December 2021, 18:12   #1
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Default fuel gauge fluctuating

my fuel gauge on my 02 tourer cdt fluctuates when i start the engine the gauge might go to 3/4 full if i stop for a while and start again it can go to 1/4 full if i stop again and restart it can go to 1/2 full sometimes it works fine can anyone shed some light please thank you
geo.k23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2021, 19:21   #2
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

I seem to recall from previous threads that this may be connected to a fault with a front wheel ABS sensor. Is the speedometer working properly?
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2021, 19:24   #3
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I seem to recall from previous threads that this may be connected to a fault with a front wheel ABS sensor. Is the speedometer working properly?
Yes the Speedo is working fine thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 20:38   #4
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Having had similar, my thoughts are the senders in the fuel tank. One is attached to the pump, one to the filter. There are threads on here about it. Also, you can use the diagnostics via the mileage trip button, to measure the o/p of each side to diagnose which is faulty.
Be warned, it is not a fun job, neither pump nor filter come out of the tank complete, you have to take them apart in situ (and risk dropping bits into the tank- guess how I know). On reassembly it is very easy to dislodge or trap pipes in the tank too.
Not a difficult job in theory, just awkward to do.

Last edited by StewartIngram; 21st December 2021 at 20:47..
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2021, 20:42   #5
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post
Having had similar, my thoughts are the senders in the fuel tank. One is attached to the pup, one to the filter. There are threads on here about it. Also, you can use the diagnostics via the mileage trip button, to measure the o/p of each side to diagnose which is faulty.
Be warned, it is not a fun job, neither pump nor filter come out of the tank complete, you have to take them apart in situ (and risk dropping bits into the tank- guess how I know). On reassembly it is very easy to dislodge or trap pipes in the tank too.
Not a difficult job in theory, just awkward to do.
Thanks for replying although it's what I was dreading to hear I will look more into it before I tackle it thanks again
Old 21st December 2021, 21:31   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo.k23 View Post
Thanks for replying although it's what I was dreading to hear I will look more into it before I tackle it thanks again

Dash diagnostics might provide some clues..

Their are two level sensors, the output of which can be accessed via the diagnostics. Might avoid you having to guess which of the two is at fault.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2021, 21:42   #7
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Dash diagnostics might provide some clues..

Their are two level sensors, the output of which can be accessed via the diagnostics. Might avoid you having to guess which of the two is at fault.
Could you please explain how to use this methode as I'm afraid I haven't a clue I appreciate very much your input but you would need to explain just what to do using the diagnostic and what I am looking for
Old 21st December 2021, 22:12   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo.k23 View Post
Could you please explain how to use this methode as I'm afraid I haven't a clue I appreciate very much your input but you would need to explain just what to do using the diagnostic and what I am looking for

You will need to search this forum for 'Dash Diagnostics', it was documented several years ago..

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote