Notices

Old 16th June 2009, 22:34   #1
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Default New Phone Line Tax To Pay For Faster Internet

New Phone Line Tax To Pay For Faster Internet

5 hours 8 mins ago
© Sky News 2009

A tax on telephone lines will help pay for ambitious plans to rewire Britain so that super-fast broadband is available to all, it has been revealed.

New Phone Line Tax To Pay For Faster Internet

The newly-released Digital Britain report proposes charging households with landlines an extra 50p a month to subsidise broadband provision in rural areas.
It aims to ensure every home in Britain has access to 2MB-per-second broadband by 2012 - a speed fast enough to use online shopping services and social networks.
Commenting on the levy, Sky's Ursual Errington said: "It is a form of tax and will have to go through legislative processes and a consultation period.
"This shows how seriously the Government is taking this idea of a broadband roll-out to as many people as possible."
Meanwhile, those who misuse broadband will be targeted by new measures outlined in the report.
They would give communications regulator Ofcom new powers to clamp down on people who persistently download music and films illegally.
Introducing the report, Culture Secretary Ben Bradshaw told MPs that the Government intended to upgrade all national radio stations from analogue to digital by 2015.
He also spoke about changes to the licence fee spending, which could see part of the cash ring-fenced to pay for public service programmes on non-BBC channels.
This could amount to £130m a year from 2013 for ITV local news, shows for children and other important but less profitable programming.
The cash will come from the pot that had been put aside to pay for the switchover to digital - which is expected to come in under budget.
In an article written for the Times newspaper before the Digital Britain report release, the Prime Minister said he he believed there was an urgent need to invest in internet and telecoms networks.
"Just as the bridges, roads and railways built in the 19th century were the foundations of an Industrial Revolution that helped Britain to become the workshop of the world, so investment now in the information and communications industries can underpin our emergence from recession," he wrote.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 23:38   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Yet more Tax!!!!! At this rate I'll have to get overdrawn to pay for all these stealth taxes....... Just to enjoy what I am getting now, sans tax!!!!

Where will it all end

Talk of VAT being increased to 18.5% at the end of the year (not back to 17.5% as originally promised!!)

Some Government!! More taxation without representation - time for a change....

Rant over.....for now.................

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 01:37   #3
GrahamP
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club Automatic

Also mean those that have only a telephone and no computer or internet will be subsidising those that do, just another tax ill thought out by the pocket lining crooks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GrahamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 07:39   #4
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Surely if people want these services they should pay for them not everyone else!
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 08:54   #5
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

It was my understanding that there would be a single capital investment in infrastructure.

In which case, how does that warrant a continuous, year on year tax?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 09:30   #6
kully
Loves to post

75 MkI 1.8T Saloon

I'm glad they had the gumption to do this, it's only 50p a month (~3-4 miles worth of petrol?) even if it won't improve my connection.

I'm sure in the past people were wondering why they were paying for sewage systems when they had a perfectly acceptable hole in the garden or transport infrastructure when the furthest they travelled was the next village for the summer fete on dobbin the donkey
kully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 09:34   #7
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

I'm wondering if they will find a way to tax me. I have no landline as such. I have cable.

As it's basically an IP phone they have no right to tax it in this way but I bet they will somehow.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 14:41   #8
comanche
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6

So the government will tax all those with a fixed line, and the money will disappear in to their piggy bank, by the time they work out which companies are going to benefit and by how much most of it will have been swallowed up on government red tape.
Just another tax to keep the government running.
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote