Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th November 2007, 12:04   #1
DJAndyB
Loves to post

1.8T ZT-T+ Commission Number 27101

Question Double Din project

Good afternoon,

I’m exploring getting a double din head unit similar to this.

I would opt for the ‘BMW’ double din bezel mentioned in the ‘tom tom duo’ thread.

As part of my research I would appreciate some comments/input on the following:

1.Is fitting a double din unit relatively straightforward or will I need to modify behind the centre console to hold the cage and give sufficient room for cabling?

2.I’ve seen reversing cameras fitted to saloons but has anybody fitted one to a tourer and if so where would be an appropriate discrete position to locate it?

Many thanks

Andy
DJAndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 12:39   #2
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Hi Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123AJB View Post
I would opt for the ‘BMW’ double din bezel mentioned in the ‘tom tom duo’ thread.
If you are interested in a bezel, can you put your name down in this thread? http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=11581. Its just to get an idea of how many are interested. The supplier may make a special MGR bezel - just need to confim this yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123AJB View Post
1.Is fitting a double din unit relatively straightforward or will I need to modify behind the centre console to hold the cage and give sufficient room for cabling?
The fitting is quite straight forward but the space is a bit tight - for my Eclipse anyway. You would want to check the size of the Sony first or it may be sticking out of the bezel by a few inches

It will probably be quite difficult to fit a cage as there is little to screw onto. I am fitting brackets to my Eclipse to hold it in place. I will be putting up more pics over the next few days to explain what I am doing.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 23:16   #3
DJAndyB
Loves to post

1.8T ZT-T+ Commission Number 27101

Thanks for that - more piccies would be interesting.

I've added my name to the 'Bimmer' list.

Best wishes

Andy
DJAndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 12:07   #4
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

Depending on the weight of the unit and strength of the facia, you may need some kind of mounting behind it. Otherwise the weight of the headunit is focused on the thin facia causing distortion.
I've not managed to find double din cages but have noticed most double din facia have an extented lip at the bottom to distributed the weight. The special import doesn't have this (it could be very tough plastic though).
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 16:59   #5
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

I am mounting my double din HU so that it is seperate from the fascia altogether. I think it would be nigh on impossible to mount the HU on the fascia and then fit the whole lot.

I will post pics tomorrow (hopefully ) but I will be mounting the HU first and then fitting the fascia.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote