Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th January 2009, 08:19   #1
mossey
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer cdt

Default handbrake question

Happy new year to everyone!

I just wondered if other rovers are the same? - when I put the handbrake on the car rolls a couple of inches before the handbrake locks into place, is this just my car or do they all do this?
mossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 08:22   #2
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

No, mine certainly doesn't; even when I had the old disks on the back, it held the car immediately I applied the handbrake.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 08:27   #3
mossey
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer cdt

I've done all the adjustments as in haynes so I think I will be ordering some new rear discs and see if that helps
Old 5th January 2009, 08:50   #4
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey View Post
I've done all the adjustments as in haynes so I think I will be ordering some new rear discs and see if that helps
This used to happen with my 525tds (same set-up) to the point of the handbrake not holding the car on steeper slopes and I replaced the whole lot - disc/drums, pads and shoes. It didn't fully cure the problem although it made it a hell of a lot better. IIRC I ended up with the slight roll-back you are experiencing. I think it may not have been adjusted 100% or stretched cables.

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 10:47   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
I just wondered if other rovers are the same? - when I put the handbrake on the car rolls a couple of inches before the handbrake locks into place, is this just my car or do they all do this?
Many members have reported this and I have found it on mine. In my opinion, this is a design feature rather than a wear issue. My own handbrake allows each rear wheel to turn about 2 degrees either way before it's stopped solid. It has done this since new (it's only got 21K on even now).
I believe this is due to motion/slop of the shoes on the pivot/adjuster fork. I believe the shoes are correctly locked in the drum, but the whole unit can turn slightly. No MOT issues and the handbrake is perfectly functional from a practical standpoint. It's just this slop I notice when servicing the brakes. Very unsatisfactory.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 10:56   #6
mossey
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer cdt

mine has the added problem of not holding on steep slopes and I wondered if this play had anything to do with it.
I'm sure it had been mentioned elsewhere that the discs corrode inside which I believe is my problem - a slight lift of the handbrake while driving to bed the shoes and re-adjust of the rear made it somewhat better but not enough.
I think the next step will be new discs.
Old 5th January 2009, 11:26   #7
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

Mine does it - and it passed the MOT last week

Paul
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 11:32   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
mine has the added problem of not holding on steep slopes and I wondered if this play had anything to do with it.
I'm sure it had been mentioned elsewhere that the discs corrode inside which I believe is my problem - a slight lift of the handbrake while driving to bed the shoes and re-adjust of the rear made it somewhat better but not enough.
I tend to agree with you, the internal corrosion can be quite excessive and have serious impact on handbrake efficiency. Almost certainly the slight play mentioned above is not a factor in poor performance. That's down to efficient surface contact of the shoes with the drum. The corrosion can compromise this to the point where the brakes don't work well enough. A good clean out and fettle, or new discs is the answer.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 11:33   #9
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
I'd suggest checking and replacing the hand brake shoes before going the whole hog changing discs. They do deteriorate over time even though they just hold the car still. Driving a short distance with the hand brake on will clear any debris from the drum but if the shoes / discs are bad then that will only be a temporary fix.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 11:45   #10
mossey
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer cdt

thanks for the advice, a set of shoes from ebay is £20 with postage which will be my first step, if the drum is beyond fettling then new mintex discs with pads are £51 inc post from ebay.
Whichever I need it has to be cheaper and easier than having to fix the rear of the car after it rolls down the hill at my girlfriends parents house, I have been having to park it sideways on to stop it rolling.