Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 21st August 2020, 13:26   #351
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

More important than one's enemies are one's friends.

In 'our' case many have little or no confidence in our leaders in this existential battle.

Not merely for the attack by a foreign virus, but by the myriad of other more pathogenic ailments that are being side-lined. Although thousands may be closer to demise, they have to wait in desperate hope.

Currently significant by their collective absence, are the Leaders (or 'friends'?) on 'our' side just incompetent to even give the enemy pause for thought? Or could they be considered MIA? Single minded is one thing, 20-20 vision on a 360 deg. basis is required.
Old 21st August 2020, 16:08   #352
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
More important than one's enemies are one's friends.

In 'our' case many have little or no confidence in our leaders in this existential battle.

Not merely for the attack by a foreign virus, but by the myriad of other more pathogenic ailments that are being side-lined. Although thousands may be closer to demise, they have to wait in desperate hope.

Currently significant by their collective absence, are the Leaders (or 'friends'?) on 'our' side just incompetent to even give the enemy pause for thought? Or could they be considered MIA? Single minded is one thing, 20-20 vision on a 360 deg. basis is required.

We have a deeply disliked PM in charge of a deeply disliked government. No matter what he or the government does, the opposition and media will nothing to help the situation because he/they are disliked. They give a press briefing they are ridiculed. They don't and folks ask where are they? Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Those in opposition are just as guilty in all of this, instead of trying to make political gain out of this they could have set their differences to one side.

The media could also have been an awful lot more constructive, but then bad news sells.

Mistakes have been made but we, as a society, must shoulder some of the responsibility in all of this. Some could have helped, but they decided not to for their own nefarious purpose. They really couldn't give a damn about anyone or anything but themselves and that stands for both of the political divide.

Anyway that's as far as I go making a political comment.
Old 21st August 2020, 17:32   #353
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

If their has ever been a chance for the population of this planet to pull together this was it . An alien invasion by means of a virus .
but the best everyone can do is try and protect their own interests rather than pull together .
Old 21st August 2020, 17:36   #354
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
We have a deeply disliked PM in charge of a deeply disliked government. No matter what he or the government does, the opposition and media will nothing to help the situation because he/they are disliked. They give a press briefing they are ridiculed. They don't and folks ask where are they? Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Those in opposition are just as guilty in all of this, instead of trying to make political gain out of this they could have set their differences to one side.

The media could also have been an awful lot more constructive, but then bad news sells.

Mistakes have been made but we, as a society, must shoulder some of the responsibility in all of this. Some could have helped, but they decided not to for their own nefarious purpose. They really couldn't give a damn about anyone or anything but themselves and that stands for both of the political divide.

Anyway that's as far as I go making a political comment.
Yup, we are all entitled to an opinion.
Old 21st August 2020, 18:18   #355
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Think I'll do a Marinabrian at this point.

Stay safe folks.
Old 21st August 2020, 18:20   #356
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I agree with you Gary. However, it's not 'politics' to question and criticise the government when there are grounds to do so. Are national events of this stature off limits?

They are required to manage, and they spectacularly are not! It doesn't matter what the colour is - the opposition are no better so the criticisms are entirely valid and even-handed. There is no partisanship in demanding someone gets a grip - they have unlimited resources whoever they are but completely fail to inspire.

Pictures in the papers today of the PM on holiday as far away as he could get, on an island while still in UK. If he and they (all of them) don't think this is serious then it is a scandal that needs investigating.

Apart from the loss of businesses, and so many going under that won't survive, we are now in an appalling financial abyss that will take many years from which to recover, if ever.
Old 21st August 2020, 19:48   #357
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

I wonder if the figures support the theory the virus is decreasing in virulence, or whether the increased level of testing is merely pointing at more people who wouldn't have "normally" submitted themselves for testing pushing up the average of case numbers.

It must be viewed as a positive in anyone's eyes, that the worldwide cases requiring intensive care amount to 1% of the total caseload.

When you consider the predictions being made originally, it's certainly is far from as bleak as first thought.

We shouldn't become complacent, but we must not lose sight of the other more "mundane" aspects of life, sadly being elbowed out at the moment.
Old 21st August 2020, 20:06   #358
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Stop worrying about nowt nor summat, I'll leave this here for you to form your own conclusions https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ding31july2020
Old 21st August 2020, 20:15   #359
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Stop worrying about nowt nor summat, I'll leave this here for you to form your own conclusions https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ding31july2020

I take it from that, you don't feel covid19 to be a huge threat then???

Now that will put the cat among the pigeons !!!
Old 21st August 2020, 20:21   #360
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADO282 View Post
I take it from that, you don't feel covid19 to be a huge threat then???

Now that will put the cat among the pigeons !!!
Nope, never did. Conspiracy theorist here, don't believe a word of it
Closed Thread