Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th February 2017, 14:49   #1
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

Default What's it worth/what to do?

Hi all, just after a bit of advice.
I've got a 51 plate, trophy yellow zt v6 160, number 5 out of 65 made in the colour.
I absolutely love the car, the way it looks, drives and sounds is amazing! It's had a custom remap in the past, confirmed by Phil Davies, and it drives very very well! It actually will out accelerate a 190, from standstill and at higher speeds!
However, it's got 130k on it now, and as it's my only car, I'm putting more and more mileage on it daily. I know these cars are good for much higher, but my worry is that with it being such a rare colour, I'd rather see it put away and only used for shows or the odd trip out, than it being subjected to daily runs to work and supermarket carpark risks! Everyone I use it, I'm worried it's going to get another mark on the bodywork somewhere.
It's in pretty good condition at the min, it's got a few marks here and there, but does come up well after a good polish and wax.
Mechanically it's very good, I bought the car off a well respected enthusiast, and he bought it off the original owner who had the car from new. It's got receipts for over £12k, has had clutch, belts, brake pipes, inlet manifold, and all the other usual v6 bits done in the last 2 years, plus since I've had it, it's had 190 brakes, mtec discs, drop links, exhaust, vis motors, and a few other bits and bobs.
The MOT is due in a few weeks, but I'm confident it will pass.
It's got standard cloth zt seats inside, bit of bolster dear, but in good condition really.
I'd love to be able to take it off the road, get it looking as good as possible, and then just use it for shows, meets, days out etc, but I can't afford to run two cars.
Something that keeps crossing my mind is to possibly move it on to someone that's got the time and money to restore the car to its best, and keep the milage low, in the hope that in a few years, being an early car in a rare colour, it will be worth something, while I get a nice but lower milage car that I'm not as worried about using as a daily driver.
Or, do I keep the car, keep using it daily, and put up with the milage going up, and wear and tear taking its toll on the car. I can do bits to the car as and when I've got the money, and just hope that nothing drastic ever happens to it, as there aren't many around to be able to get matching body panels from!
Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it makes sense to some of you!
So, any idea of what sort of value I could put on the car considering the rarer colour, and also what would you do if you were in my position?

Last edited by Dansrockin; 18th February 2017 at 15:03..
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 15:23   #2
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Difficult to answer this question. Cars are better off used regularly than parked up and run on the odd occasion IMO, but obviously this increases the risk of damage, and piles the miles on. Great to see showroom condition cars, but better to have well cared for motors being driven and enjoyed by the owner I think.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 15:25   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Lovely car, but I wouldn't buy it to keep it in a garage. If you're hell bent on selling, ask a stoopid price and knock £50 a week off it until it sells.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 15:43   #4
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

Thanks guys, that's normally my opinion too, I hate seeing cars bought and then not used. I know I'll end up using it and enjoying it, it's one of my favourite colours. But knowing how rare a colour it s, I know it'll be one of the ones that will be desirable in the future, and it's also at much higher risk of being written off by some idiot for a small bit of bodywork damage, just because I can't get replacement parts without getting paint work done. Any other colour and I could prob just find a donor car, but there's no chance with this!
I guess I'm just worrying about nothing, I'm just so obsessive about every little mark on the car! Everytime I go out in it I'm convinced there's another scratch or mark! 😁
I know if I got rid of it, I'd probably struggle to get another that I liked as much, that was in as good condition, and with the history that this has.
But part of me thinks if I had a car that I was less bothered about, I may actually enjoy it more, as I wouldn't be worrying about what might happen to it!
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 01:00   #5
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

The cars lovely. I'd be heart scared to sell it myself.

Nothing wrong with keeping it as a second luxury car. It's what I do with my 190.

Infact I'm glad I do. I havnt been able to afford an mot with being out of work. Had it been my. Daily I would have had to sell it.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote