Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th January 2019, 16:24   #1
ShaunB
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Default Another tourer roof leak

I know this has been covered before but I've tried everything,I havea leak on my ZTT which is showing itself below the rear nearside side window if I point the hose pipe across the roof towards the rear corner it leaks a lot I have removed the roof trim and poured water into the channel and it does not leak I have sealed along the roof join and sealed the threads on the roofrail bolts when I spray water direct onto the window it does not leak also the holes where the plastic trim across the top of the door opening are sealed the side trim holes are taped over temporarily I really can't figure where it is getting in it's driving me mad, any ideas/advice would be appreciated.
ShaunB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 16:49   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
I know this has been covered before but I've tried everything,I havea leak on my ZTT which is showing itself below the rear nearside side window if I point the hose pipe across the roof towards the rear corner it leaks a lot I have removed the roof trim and poured water into the channel and it does not leak I have sealed along the roof join and sealed the threads on the roofrail bolts when I spray water direct onto the window it does not leak also the holes where the plastic trim across the top of the door opening are sealed the side trim holes are taped over temporarily I really can't figure where it is getting in it's driving me mad, any ideas/advice would be appreciated.
There is a really good “How To” on this l’m sure. I cured my issues by following it. The issue is water getting in behind the thin plastic trim near the top of the roof.

When you take it off the plastic fitting lugs break (it’s a really naff design) so I drilled the lugs out and refitted with wide headed trim screws.

When it’s off, seal all the metal joints - several metal sheets butt together along the exposed roofline of the Tourer under this flimsy plastic cover - seal with a liquid sealant so it runs into the fine gaps.

I used Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure. Worked a treat!!
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 17:33   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

is the water running down the outside to the window and leaking from the window? water could be getting behind the rubber at the top but leaking at the bottom.

The trim darcydog refers to was available from rimmers for about £15 I think a few weeks ago.

if you need a How To on how to remove the internal side trim let me know via pm

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 17:54   #4
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
is the water running down the outside to the window and leaking from the window? water could be getting behind the rubber at the top but leaking at the bottom.

The trim darcydog refers to was available from rimmers for about £15 I think a few weeks ago.

macafee2
Do you have a part number for this item?

Thanks
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 18:44   #5
ShaunB
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2
Ive tried spraying water directly all around the window rubber and nothing shows I have removed the boot interior panel a little water does come from the bottom of the glass but mostly from in between the two panels under the glass spotted by lying on my back and shining a torch up there
Old 28th January 2019, 18:46   #6
ShaunB
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
There is a really good “How To” on this l’m sure. I cured my issues by following it. The issue is water getting in behind the thin plastic trim near the top of the roof.

When you take it off the plastic fitting lugs break (it’s a really naff design) so I drilled the lugs out and refitted with wide headed trim screws.

When it’s off, seal all the metal joints - several metal sheets butt together along the exposed roofline of the Tourer under this flimsy plastic cover - seal with a liquid sealant so it runs into the fine gaps.

I used Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure. Worked a treat!!
Creeping crack cure looks good ,has lots of good reviews for solving water leaks
Old 28th January 2019, 18:58   #7
ShaunB
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantwich 75 View Post
Do you have a part number for this item?

Thanks
Just scoured Rimmers tourer parts its
Finisher assembly-rear header - centre - ERQ100650 - Genuine MG Rover
Out of stock
Old 28th January 2019, 20:25   #8
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Creeping crack cure looks good ,has lots of good reviews for solving water leaks
It certainly gets my recommendation - first used it on caravans after it was recommended by a Motorboat owning friend.

It uses capillary action to “creep” into gaps. You keep applying it until a bead of it sits proud of the gap/split.

As an interesting aside - I have a few patches where the lacquer is lifting off my lovely Trophy Blue paintwork.

I have done some with rattle can lacquer via a fine hair hobby paint brush - this too runs under the old lacquer edge and seals it - which is the method I have always done - but last summer I did a few with Captain Tolleys.

It was easier to use as it didn’t start to set like rattle can lacquer does as soon as you spray it into the cap to collect it as a liquid - and so far the results look good.

But I am waiting for some true winter weather to see how that affects it.

But so far it’s another potential promising use for this really excellent and inexpensive stuff.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 21:03   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
It certainly gets my recommendation - first used it on caravans after it was recommended by a Motorboat owning friend.

It uses capillary action to “creep” into gaps. You keep applying it until a bead of it sits proud of the gap/split.

As an interesting aside - I have a few patches where the lacquer is lifting off my lovely Trophy Blue paintwork.

I have done some with rattle can lacquer via a fine hair hobby paint brush - this too runs under the old lacquer edge and seals it - which is the method I have always done - but last summer I did a few with Captain Tolleys.

It was easier to use as it didn’t start to set like rattle can lacquer does as soon as you spray it into the cap to collect it as a liquid - and so far the results look good.

But I am waiting for some true winter weather to see how that affects it.

But so far it’s another potential promising use for this really excellent and inexpensive stuff.
not worked for me

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 21:04   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Just scoured Rimmers tourer parts its
Finisher assembly-rear header - centre - ERQ100650 - Genuine MG Rover