Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th March 2019, 07:24   #1
LittleMan

75 Saloon

Default Mileage reading

Today I have observed something warring: is it possible for my new second hand acquired 75 to read lower mileage?
I'm based in NZ, and the dashboard is in km. The speed is about right, 90km/h being actually 86-87km/h on GPS, as any other car.
Car is facelift, 2005 made.
So, I leave from work and see that the trip computer shows only 25.4km.
Get home, and is 50.9km. That's 25.5km. But my commute is at least 28km (my other cars always recorded 28.3-28.4km on same road). I've checked again with google maps, and is indeed 28km.
What should I check? Or the transformation from miles to km does not work well?

Thank you!
LittleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 07:29   #2
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Check the tyre sizes on you new car. If the tyres are larger than recomended it would record a shorter distance than a smaller tyre. Less revolutions! Just an idea.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 08:40   #3
LittleMan

75 Saloon

Of course, checked those first: 215/55R16 everywhere (although all are different models...no comment).
But the idea is the GPS speed to speedo is fine. Why is the recorded mileage lower by ~10%?
If that's always been the case since new, I wonder if the car has actually at least another 10k km...
LittleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 13:39   #4
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMan View Post
Of course, checked those first: 215/55R16 everywhere (although all are different models...no comment).
But the idea is the GPS speed to speedo is fine. Why is the recorded mileage lower by ~10%?
If that's always been the case since new, I wonder if the car has actually at least another 10k km...
Some time ago there was talk of legal action against car manufacturers based on "optimistic" speedometers (5%-15%). It was thought that the cars were racking up mileage to the maximum listed in the warranty 5%-15% quicker than reality and saving manufacturers money by the warranties ending early. It turned out that while the speedometers had that buffer to prevent unintended speeding, the odometers were accurate. How? I don't know. Measured against GPS? I don't know. Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 14:46   #5
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
Some time ago there was talk of legal action against car manufacturers based on "optimistic" speedometers (5%-15%). It was thought that the cars were racking up mileage to the maximum listed in the warranty 5%-15% quicker than reality and saving manufacturers money by the warranties ending early. It turned out that while the speedometers had that buffer to prevent unintended speeding, the odometers were accurate. How? I don't know. Measured against GPS? I don't know. Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,
Glenn
I think that you are correct.
When I had by digital speedo enabled, I noticed quite a difference between this readout and the analogue speedo.

My over-read on the speedo is approaching 10%, but I do not get those kind of discrepancies when measuring distances, with the odometer.

On the IPK Diagnostics on my car, I can get two different speed readings under 7.3 and 7.4. The readout is in km/hr rather than mph.
From what I can make out, the odometer and digital speed reading is the same as 7.3 and the analogue speedo is from 7.4.

I used the excellent guide from T-Cut here

Maybe something has gone wrong with the data on the OP's car.
I notice that 21.0 does a software factory reset in the event of a configuration error.
It might be worth trying that.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 15:01   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMan View Post
- - - the trip computer shows only 25.4km.
!

It might be interesting to check if the Odometer indicates any difference from the Trip.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 14:57   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Speed displayed by default is faster than actually driven, as.mentioned above. Hence the phrase 'indicated speed' mentioned on police tv shows.

Mileage being displayed incorrectly is a separate issue and have no idea aside from what has been mentioned above regarding overall wheel circumference. In saying that, I would think 3 kms is quite difference over such a short distance. Although I wonder would the be a 10 per cent circumference difference between an 18 inch wheel tyre combo and a 16 inch?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 18:47   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I don't know what the regulations are in NZ, but my reading indicates that in Australia, Regulation ADR 18 says speedos cannot indicate less that the true speed, and over-indication accuracy is limited to a maximum 10 per cent plus 4km/h. This means that at a true speed of 100 kilometres per hour the speedo can’t be displaying 99 or under, but it could be displaying up to 114.
That sort of variance could probably explain the discrepency in travel distance as well.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2019, 07:57   #9
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Yes, but in LittleMan's case, he is getting an under read whilst measuring distance.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2019, 08:07   #10
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

ŲCould you be suffering from an intermittent loss of signal from the front right abs sensor,?

Not enough to cause Speedo needle flicker and abs warning, but enough to drop the distance pulses counted,??

Do you have any warning lights or Speedo needle jumping??

You say it's a new car... does the ABS light cycle when you first turn on or has some scumbag blanked the led off,??

Last edited by klarzy; 16th March 2019 at 08:10..
klarzy is offline   Reply With Quote