Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th March 2019, 14:56   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Upper arms how many manufacturers?

New rear upper arms for the suspension are now available and have been for some time.
There are a few retailers supplying them but how many manufacturers are there of these arms?

why do I ask, OEM £90 inc vat, genuine £119.99 inc vat.
Before anyone says cos genuine are more expensive I did raise a thread some weeks go about what is genuine.
My concern is that a well know distributor who distributed parts for Rover when Rover existed, is supplying parts to a retailer who is selling them as genuine because they come from the same distributor as before.

perhaps Traders have more of in idea on this.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 15:07   #2
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
New rear upper arms for the suspension are now available and have been for some time.
There are a few retailers supplying them but how many manufacturers are there of these arms?

why do I ask, OEM £90 inc vat, genuine £119.99 inc vat.
Before anyone says cos genuine are more expensive I did raise a thread some weeks go about what is genuine.
My concern is that a well know distributor who distributed parts for Rover when Rover existed, is supplying parts to a retailer who is selling them as genuine because they come from the same distributor as before.

perhaps Traders have more of in idea on this.

macafee2
From what I was told by rimmers "Genuine" parts are decided if they are "Genuine" by XPART. Did you see the posts about the rear bearings? Chinese bearings put into MG Rover boxes then sold as genuine (The label was changed slightly so instead of Made in France it said Made in CN). They were the aftermarket part but reboxed. When I queried it their response what that they came straight from XPART so they don't check what is in the box. So it seems is XPART can't get hold of the proper parts they just rebox the aftermarket ones and hope people don't notice.

There is a significant difference in quality between the genuine rear bearings and aftermarket. For £10 difference it's definitely worth fitting genuine (if you get a genuine one!). If the originals have lasted 15 years or so it's worth gambling that extra £10.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 15:24   #3
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Worth reading:-
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...pper+rear+arms
Old 13th March 2019, 21:42   #4
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
From what I was told by rimmers "Genuine" parts are decided if they are "Genuine" by XPART. Did you see the posts about the rear bearings? Chinese bearings put into MG Rover boxes then sold as genuine (The label was changed slightly so instead of Made in France it said Made in CN). They were the aftermarket part but reboxed. When I queried it their response what that they came straight from XPART so they don't check what is in the box. So it seems is XPART can't get hold of the proper parts they just rebox the aftermarket ones and hope people don't notice.

There is a significant difference in quality between the genuine rear bearings and aftermarket. For £10 difference it's definitely worth fitting genuine (if you get a genuine one!). If the originals have lasted 15 years or so it's worth gambling that extra £10.

Hi Jamie.

I found that it's actually SNR that are now not supplying SNR genuine bearings. I specifically bought SNR rear bearings in SNR packaging. FAG bearing supplied in the box, the same as supplied by X-Part.
Typhoon190 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2019, 10:03   #5
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
Hi Jamie.

I found that it's actually SNR that are now not supplying SNR genuine bearings. I specifically bought SNR rear bearings in SNR packaging. FAG bearing supplied in the box, the same as supplied by X-Part.
The guy I spoke to on the phone said it happens when XPART run out of the genuine stock, they just re-box things. Also my mate has a Disco 2 and a Range Rover Sport, and comes across the same problems, he wasn't surprised when I mentioned it. I don't know if XPART supply Land Rover parts as well, but it seems there are some questionable practices.

I'd rather be told they haven't got the genuine part and they have an aftermarket alternative, rather than being supplied with the cheaper part at the more expensive price.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2019, 14:26   #6
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

This practice of reboxing parts has been going on for ages.
Im in Australia and had a relative from the UK visit.
He works in the parts trade and reckons they get a pallet load of water pumps
in from china,there all in plastic bags, they then box them into whatever brand.
I remember looking into this a while ago and i think there was some dollar value
or percentage attached to a product as what constituted its point of origin ie, if the cost of the packaging and cost of wages etc exceeded the items landed cost,it could be labeled as bring produced in that country.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2019, 21:31   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

We should just treat these arms as consumables with a 5-year lifespan. That should be longer than the lifespan of many remaining cars so not much to worry about there.

MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2019, 22:20   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
We should just treat these arms as consumables with a 5-year lifespan. That should be longer than the lifespan of many remaining cars so not much to worry about there.

There are less than 50 of these in stock as of the end of last week, and the new stock should be coming in from a different supplier subject to quality assurance checks.

The new arms are also to be dipped, rather than sprayed to ensure coverage inside the cavity.

Anyone who says they should be treated as a consumable item, has never had the pleasure of fitting these to a car

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2019, 22:24   #9
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Yes them captive nuts are a right pain in the backside, Best attacked with a short half inch extension in my opinion
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 06:53   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Anyone who says they should be treated as a consumable item, has never had the pleasure of fitting these to a car

Brian

Correct Brian - I was hoping that you or Trikey will do mine. I rely on the experts who know what they are doing!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote