Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th January 2019, 07:44   #1
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Default Number plates

Hi, in the spring, I have to travel down to France to pick up a load of gear. I've googled the subject and cannot find anything definitive. I've got EU number plates on both my car and trailer. Will they be illegal, really don't want to change and start sticking on the old GB stickers to paintwork.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 07:56   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

You can get magnetic GB stickers now or if you must use the sticky type put them on the rear window.

If you don't have GB stickers the foreign police don't seem to be bothered unless you get stopped for something else and then they will insist you get one ASAP.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 09:51   #3
mbev51
Banned

Removed

I like to be legal in the first instance, hope we get clarity ASAP.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 10:04   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Given the complete lack of clarity on anything Brexit related I wouldn't hold your breath!
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 10:14   #5
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

CYA ... we just use one of those magnetic GB thingys, never had a problem with it but will say the interplod are more interested in the carrying of Hi-viz clothing, warning triangle, spare bulbs, headlight deflectors fitted, etc: just in case of a breakdown, we were told this by a UK rep at Dover port so took that as gospel.
Btw ... if you do get a pull, probably best not say I'm going to France to pick up 'some gear'!! lol.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 17:02   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I should not really say this,but we have been driving on the continent for over 30 years and have never been stopped by plod over there. The only time I have spoken to plod was when we were going to Troyes with my brother in his MGB V8, which after passing through a toll in France, pulled over to visit the loo, and we had to carry on. He did not know where the hotel was because he had not got sat nav. We pulled over onto the hard shoulder,put my yellow vest on and popped the bonnet to pretend something was wrong. No sooner I had got out, there was plod. I explained that the engine had just cut out for no reason.Pulled a few wires and fiddled about generally,then said I would see if it started, it did of course. On your way old chap, or words to that effect from them, I think, and away we went with them following behind for a couple of miles. Brother caught us up and we went on our way.I think they are the same as plod over here. If it looks ok, it probably is.We also use a magnetic GB sticker on the boot lid.

Last edited by bl52krz; 10th January 2019 at 17:05..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 18:03   #7
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Do you mean the EU plate like mine with GB below the Stars?
If so then this is legal for foreign use.

Coincidentally this photo was taken on the Le Havre to Portsmouth ferry when we went to France last October, nobody stopped me in with these on.

I would be more worried about having breathalysers, bulbs etc and not to forget the gillet jaune as I believe these can be on the spot fines.

Although to be honest French Police, much like the British version, probably have more things to do than pull in foreign drivers without GB stickers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-10-27 06.10.44.jpg (126.0 KB, 42 views)
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 22:38   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

As far as I am aware, there is no law that makes not having a breathalyser in the car a fineable offence in France.
Old 11th January 2019, 08:58   #9
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
As far as I am aware, there is no law that makes not having a breathalyser in the car a fineable offence in France.
Looks like things may have changed slightly as it used to be finable.

According to the RAC:

When driving in France you are required by law to carry the following items:
- Reflective jackets (one for each occupant, these must be kept inside the vehicle within easy reach)
- Warning triangle (compulsory in every vehicle with 4 wheels or more)
- Headlamp beam deflectors (depending on your car, you will either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually)
- Breathalysers/alcohol test (as of January 2013 the French government announced that the introduction of an €11 fine for not carrying one has been postponed indefinitely, however, law still states that drivers of motor vehicles and motorcyclist must have an alcotest ready for use in their vehicle even though no penalty will be imposed if they cannot present one during a police road check)
- A GB sticker (or ‘euro’ registration plates featuring the GB initials)
- Spare bulbs - by law you’re also mandated to carry a spare bulb kit for your vehicle, as the French police deem it necessary to replace it there and then on the grounds of safety. For a few pounds to buy a kit, you could avoid unwanted attention and a fine.
- Snow chains may also be needed in some areas during winter. These areas will be indicated by signs and are compulsory, so it is worth having them in your car if your visiting during winter.

A European driving kit will have all of these items - a simple purchase from £20 which can help you avoid hefty on-the-spot fines.

See link https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 09:07   #10
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Spot on Andy. Thank you.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote