Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th August 2014, 18:29   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default Mobile phone battery woes.

Hi to all
Lately my smart phone has started to take a path closer to the wheelie bin outside. The battery life is that bad its discharged by 4pm. I've switched off all the apps that are not essential , turned the screen brightness to a low as possible but still readable but im still losing the battle. Im not 100 % percent convinced though that its the battery at fault ,but more of an issue with the phone itself. It has become very slow and lags on simple tasks like making a call. I can sweep a contacts name to make a call and it will take up to a minute before a starts the call. The predictive wording often stops working for a few minutes and will then start again . Its as if the phone is running some other program / apps and its using all its cpu which in turn slows everything else down. This would also explain the dire battery life. I've gone through every single app on my phone today and I've either deleted them and looked into the others to see if there is any issues with them but to no avail.
I've found after market batterys to be of very poor quality in the past and originals are extortionatly priced. Any ideas or suggestions before i make the reluctant decision to send my phone to the great yonder of China to be recycled into cheap and nasty MAFs for our lovely cars.
Many thanks for reading.
Johnny
Old 13th August 2014, 19:11   #2
kc13661

Freelander Td4

What phone is it?

Just for information my wife has had issues with the battery on her Samsung Galaxy S4 does not hold charge and phone switches off and resets itself, so we went the '3 Store' they did not have a clue but pointed out there was a Samsung store nearby, we toddled off there and my wife spoke with the assistant, he took out the battery and got my wife to hold it in one hand whilst she held a new one in the other, amazingly there was a difference, her original was 'swollen' not significantly enough until a comparison was made.

The result the Samsung shop replaced the battery free of charge as it is a manufacturing defect, not something they advertise.

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 19:29   #3
Fruitcake

Rover 75 Saloon

A factory reset can sometimes help but make sure you backup everything you want to keep first. I can't tell you how to do it as it varies from phone to phone but it's something that's worked for me in the past.
Fruitcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 21:54   #4
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Many thanks for your advice. I downloaded an app called CPU spy that monitors your phone while its in sleep mode. To my amazement it showed it was constantly connecting then disconnecting to Google maps. The last time I've consciously used Google maps was months ago so god knows why my phone is doing this. I have forced closed the app so we see how things go.
Many thanks
Johnny
Old 19th August 2014, 07:58   #5
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Many thanks for your advice. I downloaded an app called CPU spy that monitors your phone while its in sleep mode. To my amazement it showed it was constantly connecting then disconnecting to Google maps. The last time I've consciously used Google maps was months ago so god knows why my phone is doing this. I have forced closed the app so we see how things go.
Many thanks
Johnny
Google Maps, that will do it, very heavy on power.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 09:05   #6
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

My new to me (old one from the kids) galaxy S2 with almost everything off, will just about manage 22-24hrs if i don't use it much .

But with screen on and doing stuff drops dramatically .

Was a little bit better with the older Android version on it but not much.

Charging becomes a way of life.

My previous old Nokia non smart would go a week between charges and getting a smart phone has been a wake up to currently battery tech not quite up to the job .

Smaller slimmer whilst more powerfull doesn't go together ?..

As you say cheap foreign batterie s are almost always rated higher in the labelling than they really are .

Just search about you can get some good ones . . at reasonable prices.

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 09:42   #7
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

You will find it will be Google Services, which comprises about 4-5 apps, this uses about 75% of the battery!
I found by going to device administrators and disabling "android device manager" and then going to settings > apps > all > Google play services. You are now able to force stop the app. After doing this I have now have no battery drain and this don't seem to cause any other issues...

(Xperia Z).

EDIT: Just thought I would add that mine last just about 2 days...

Last edited by MangoMan; 19th August 2014 at 14:05..
MangoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 11:47   #8
bubs
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
What phone is it?

Just for information my wife has had issues with the battery on her Samsung Galaxy S4 does not hold charge and phone switches off and resets itself, so we went the '3 Store' they did not have a clue but pointed out there was a Samsung store nearby, we toddled off there and my wife spoke with the assistant, he took out the battery and got my wife to hold it in one hand whilst she held a new one in the other, amazingly there was a difference, her original was 'swollen' not significantly enough until a comparison was made.

The result the Samsung shop replaced the battery free of charge as it is a manufacturing defect, not something they advertise.
My Galaxy S4 had the same issue. Samsung used a few different companies for the batteries and the repair centre that replaced mine said that all the batteries they had replaced were the ones made in China.
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 12:11   #9
Trevor1975
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon cdt club SE 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Hi to all
Lately my smart phone has started to take a path closer to the wheelie bin outside. .... Any ideas or suggestions before i make the reluctant decision to send my phone to the great yonder of China to be recycled into cheap and nasty MAFs for our lovely cars.
Johnny

Brilliant!

I find mine (HTC One XL) only lasts 8 hours, unless I turn off Wifi and Mobile data, then it lasts for days... So if I'm away from my charger I turn off the internet - sorted... sort of.
Old 19th August 2014, 12:25   #10
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Theres been some good advice posted here. Yesterday i bought a new battery and its improved things no end. I've found though that switching the data connection off when not in use has had the best effect.