Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th October 2016, 21:57   #1
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Default Head Gasket Failure

Well I bought Paige (Rover 75 1.8 Auto) a good few weeks ago now, and I knew from day one that the head gasket had failed, the sign was oil in the header tank.

Anyway the plan was to get the head done, then it changed when the decision was made that the Engine was coming out ( 1.8 petrol) and been replaced with a 1.8 Turbo

So after talking to my mechanic the car could remain in use as long as it was not loosing excessive coolant, and eventually we arranged that the swap would be going ahead this coming week

Well Paige decided yesterday enough was enough, the small bore pipe that runs from the top corner of the radiator to the rear of the engine clogged up and burst..... trouble was before bursting it expanded and caused permanent deterioration to the pipe structure, this meant I could not just cut the end off and shorten it....

So the small bore return pipe from the header tank to the top of the radiator then went onto the position of the 'burst pipe' and I used the burst section to replace the header tank pipe... albeit the bad bit had to be cut off and it meant the pipe was stretched. This sufficed until I met up with a guy that sells bits on a facebook page, he was local to where I was (Edinburgh) and he brought me a replacement pipe, all good and well Paige was running again, and made the journey all the way back down to within 10 miles of home, when suddenly STEAM ..... lo and behold the Radiator top hose Split.... next to the thermostat housing.

So pipe off trim the hose by about 2 inches and re-attach, the car is home.

Tomorrow Paige is to be dropped off and the work is to be carried out.... but she has certainly let me know who is boss the last two days.

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 22:05   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Well done for limping her back mate, im sure all will be well once a new gasket is in there.
Old 12th October 2016, 06:27   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Keith, is the car still at yours or have you had it recovered to Dave's place?

Either way I'll be popping over to your place to sort out the EWS and ZCS coding for the imminent turbo transplant, and I'll programme up the ECM from the donor so it can be fitted once the new engine is in the car.

I'm aiming to get across early evening, once I've tidied up some loose ends on the 45

Make sure the kettle is on

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 14:50   #4
kc13661

Freelander Td4

Car has now been driven to Dave's also a trailer with Engine, Radiator, Exhaust and ECU

EWS is still on donor, only because I do not have the correct tool to remove it... will see you later

Can't wait until I get back to a 1.8 Turbo

Old 13th October 2016, 19:23   #5
arodriguez
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club 1.8T SE

I'd get the Kmaps Remap done too whilst you're at it. The 75drives like a dream with the extra 50bhp. Effortless acceleration in any gear.
Old 13th October 2016, 20:15   #6
kc13661

Freelander Td4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodriguez View Post
I'd get the Kmaps Remap done too whilst you're at it. The 75drives like a dream with the extra 50bhp. Effortless acceleration in any gear.

I am currently in Malta, the car is now with 'Turb Dave' who will install the engine before handing the timid Rover to Marinabrian and his box of tricks, I am positive I will return to a different car. Maybe not so timid.......

I trust them both 110%