Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th June 2021, 10:25   #1
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Talking The Eurosausage

BBC News - Brexit: What is the Northern Ireland Protocol and why does it affect sausages?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53724381

Party Games, Yes Minister.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0751812/

I wonder who the present Minister for Administrative Affairs is ?
Does he want to be PM ?
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 11:27   #2
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

Nothing to moan about,the UK signed up to the deal.

No chilled meats to be imported from non EU countries,nothing to debate, its been agreed by our Government

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 13:58   #3
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Just impose 300% tariff on any similar products entering GB from EU (including Eire)
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2021, 16:59   #4
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgies Dad View Post
Nothing to moan about,the UK signed up to the deal.

No chilled meats to be imported from non EU countries,nothing to debate, its been agreed by our Government
Yes, you are right - to a certain extent. The UK was strong armed into a dogs breakfast that is the NI Protocol otherwise it was going to be 'no deal' time - the UK could have lived with that much better than could the EU.
I think everyone expected equitable/mutually beneficial solutions to the anticipated anomalies that inevitable would arise - relatively minor anomolies that is - pragmatic give/take solutions.
Unless the EU wise-up and retrieve their dummy the UK will either invoke Article 16 of the withdrawal agreement (and they would be within their rights to do so given the recent shenanigans) or we wait 42 or so months and let the good citizens of NI aire their views thro' the pre-agreed referendum to accept the status quo or shove it into the Irish Sea along with the border that goes with it.
The Republic are already suffering the fruits of their staunch support of the EU against Brexit
- reduced fishing rights (because the EU have divied out to other members a sizeable chunk of what Ireland already had pre-Brexit)
- a harmonised Corporation Tax that will cost Ireland's economy €3Bn/annum and likely departure of numerous prestige International corporate HQ's
- a probable Commission attack on Ireland's International neutrality stance
and, who would have thought good old Germany would be kicking against the EU law makers only 6 months after Brexit....
There are some arguments to support what (ex) remainers were shouting and flag waving about but boy am I glad the UK were able to go their own way on securing/funding a C-19 vaccine policy and how the past 6 months have shown much of the anti-Brexit hype was indeed a load of hot air.
I know we all don't agree but we really are far better off out than in - and it will get better, much better for an unfettered UK (and in due course, NI too).

Last edited by rab60bit; 10th June 2021 at 17:04..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2021, 20:28   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Doubt if Boris gained any new fans by travelling from Stanstead to Newquay en route to Carbis Bay by chartered Airbus A321. Add to that its nearly an hour by road from Newquay to Carbis Bay.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2021, 23:03   #6
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Where exactly do you think all those trucks - that still criss-cross the channel all day, every day (all loaded up both ways and look, no queues....) - are going, little but rich Liechtenstein?
We still trade substantially with the EU and they with us - but it's different. Give it some time to bed in, meantime we are again masters of our destiny and there's a whole 'other' world out there to go at.
Old 11th June 2021, 08:36   #7
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Post #35
The UK was strong armed into a dogs breakfast that is the NI Protocol otherwise it was going to be 'no deal' time - the UK could have lived with that much better than could the EU.

Evidence please for UK being ‘strong armed’ into NI Protocol ?
Also what about the all the years of being told that ‘No Deal is better than a bad deal’
Why then sign up to any deal?

So the very early rewriting of recent history begins !
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2021, 12:24   #8
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Oh, how wonderful to see a subject on a troublesome (no pun int.) subject without rancour! Can't stop now, my Irish son-in-law is expecting me. Back later.
Old 11th June 2021, 15:31   #9
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Just back from my personal Anglo/Irish interfamilial parley. Hope this escapes censure, it's meant as positive contribution:

This is all about the attempts at face-saving by political pygmies in Brussels. Given all the current, and growing, antipathy towards the council and its committees there is a growing unrest among many members which is ominous for their collective, in the wider sense, future.

The UK secession from the EU and subsequent pre-Covid-19 growth of UK, together with proof that the predicted suicidal cliff edge was in fact a glorious new dawn, has presented new hope for others in the EU group.

The EU see N.I. as an opportunity to flex muscle in the hopelessly impotent struggle to assert a false seniority, which of course is what the EU secession was all about in the first place. The funny side of all this is the sudden dearth of comment from previously strident ‘No’ commentators!

On the other point made earlier about immigrants not being France’s problem, well I’m afraid they very much are. Or, at least, ought to be. The French know full well that those terrified people travelling through France to the channel should have been, under EU law, refused entry into whatever was their second EU border.

The first port of call should not have given passage through to the next country on the list. And so on and so on. The French have condoned the illegal actions of the EU countries in between and actually helped immigrants to travel.

The humanity of the UK border force to save so many of these terrified people shows just how charitable we are. What an example to every country on the way from Sicily and Greece.

The EU should get over themselves and concentrate on legitimate matters of governance of their failing Commun, er, istic unity.
Old 11th June 2021, 17:31   #10
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
Notice my questions went unanswered- again !

Just on talk radio:
Julia Hartley-Brewer just said:

"Many worried that Northern Ireland had effectively been thrown under a bus to deliver Brexit for the rest of the UK. I, as a Brexiteer, hold my hands up to that, as a price worth paying."

Says it all really.
Much more honest than BJ saying that ‘no British Prime Minister would sign up to an Irish Sea Border’
Then did
Then denied that it existed
Now blaming the EU when they implement the ‘agreed UK/EU rules’

You couldn’t make it up !

ANYWAY THIS IS MY FINAL POST ON THIS THREAD AS CLEARLY IT WILL END UP IN THE USUAL NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- FOR TAT.
JUST REMEMBER THAT IN THE COMING WEEKS NI WILL LIKELY BE IN THE NEWS HEADLINES, AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY.
It's been quiet civil and dignified - so far.
'We' were going to work through the tricky NI detail post 31st December 2020 meantime the wet border had to be accepted or it was 'No deal' - that was the strong arm stuff and I believe the UK side demonstrated the good faith that sort of compromise needs. There was a backstop though (no, not the one that got Mrs May dumped out of office), Article 16 and the post 2020 negotiated compromises/accommodations Article 13.2 would get before their final stamp of approval 4 years hence via the good people of NI. I see Mr. Macron has stated (again) earlier today that there will be no discussion nor compromise - so much for agreements then.
So if there is no movement and it's proven not to be working for NI, one side or 'tother is perfectly entitled to implement Article 16 - at any time, providing there is (internationally acceptable/recognised) reason so to do. Pres. Macron isn't the EU but he alone can spike it all with that attitude of 'goodwill', maybe his man didn't read the agreement, perhaps it wasn't French enough? No matter, if Article 16 isn't implemented the UK will and can, if necessary, support NI until 2024 and then which way do you think NI will vote?
The Republic neighbours meantime will find themselves on the thin end of the EU taxation and fishing divi wedge - talk about being thrown under a bus - poorer by at least €3Bn, being commercially shunned by the 6 Counties neigbours and one of only 5 net contributors to the EU 27 overblown exchequer, but with less of their own dosh - that's a good deal for supporting No Brexit!

Last edited by rab60bit; 11th June 2021 at 18:04..