Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th February 2017, 07:17   #11
Bigal2218
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Front springs; Tourer owners.

Mike,

You are lucky that the spring snapped whilst stationary. My front offside spring snapped at about 30mph and the broken end sliced though the tyre. It was the explosion of the tyre burst which was the most shocking. Jules in Colwyn Bay has the shrouds. This problem affects many makes of car today including BMWs, Mercedes etc.
Bigal2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 08:36   #12
Mikejaytee
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourers x 2.

Thanks again to all for the replies and accounts of various experiences with spring breakage....something which is obviously more distressing when out in the car and on the move. Thankfully mine was in the garage and sitting over my inspection pit...ready for work!

It seems to me that routine replacement of springs is a good idea...on any car, not just 75s/ZTs. Whilst my car is still on a very low mileage for its age, it is 14 years old and therefore the spring will have suffered some deterioration due to stress, corrosion etc. Springs are a stressed/moving item that clearly do deteriorate. I won't be taking chances in the future...!

Best regards,

Mike.
Mikejaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 08:40   #13
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejaytee View Post
Thanks to all for responses. I will be re-reading the previous thread/s in regards to this issue...

Before I order new springs, is it possible to get uprated/heavy duty items, and who is likely to stock the tyre protectors...?

Thanks again....
To my knowledge the tourer is supposed to have uprated springs compared to the saloon due to load carrying ability!!!
However I am getting more and more edgy regarding mine,as having suffered two, another one would have me having to reconsidering yet again!!
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 08:58   #14
Mikejaytee
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourers x 2.

I think routine replacement every 5 years or so, or every 50,000 miles is something to consider....for peace of mind. We routinely replace lots of other parts without questioning the rationale.. ( e.g. oil, filters, suspension bushes, tyres, brake pads and discs, belts etc etc ); why not springs? They are cheaper than good quality tyres after all.....and to avoid the inconvenience, and possibly serious injury, it's got to be worth thinking about....?

Best regards,

Mike.
Mikejaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 10:43   #15
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy View Post
My nearside spring broke so i changed it then i moved the car a couple of yards to turn it so i could change the other side as a precaution and the offside broke .

Davy
Same situation. My 50k mile Connie SE was perfect when I bought it. Few months later after standing, both front front springs broke when I moved it. A check found at least one rear one broken as well, haven't checked the other side yet, but will be taking the rear subframe off for full overhaul.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 10:58   #16
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Hello all,

Having read the previous and historical threads in regards to front springs, I imagined my Tourer would be fine in regards to this issue as it's not generally thought to affect these models. However, getting in my car today to go on a short journey, there was a 'bang', and I wondered what was up. It transpired that the nearside spring had snapped....triggered only by me sitting in the car, prior to even starting the engine or touching the steering wheel.

My car has only 50K on the clock and is generally a lovely car. Clearly it's worth renewing front springs on both saloons and Tourers as soon as is practical..... I don't even want to consider what could have happened if I had been out on the road...!

Have any other Tourer owners had broken springs?
" as it's not generally thought to affect these models"
You have a lot to learn about our cars, I do not think there is any make of vehicle on the road today worse than ours for busted springs.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 11:22   #17
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Hello all,

Having read the previous and historical threads in regards to front springs, I imagined my Tourer would be fine in regards to this issue as it's not generally thought to affect these models. However, getting in my car today to go on a short journey, there was a 'bang', and I wondered what was up. It transpired that the nearside spring had snapped....triggered only by me sitting in the car, prior to even starting the engine or touching the steering wheel.

My car has only 50K on the clock and is generally a lovely car. Clearly it's worth renewing front springs on both saloons and Tourers as soon as is practical..... I don't even want to consider what could have happened if I had been out on the road...!

Have any other Tourer owners had broken springs?
My rear spring went in the same manner on my tourer
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 11:47   #18
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Mines been parked up over the winter, so I'll find out if it affects the springs or not come the summer time.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 12:31   #19
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
I think routine replacement every 5 years or so, or every 50,000 miles is something to consider....for peace of mind. We routinely replace lots of other parts without questioning the rationale.. ( e.g. oil, filters, suspension bushes, tyres, brake pads and discs, belts etc etc ); why not springs? They are cheaper than good quality tyres after all.....and to avoid the inconvenience, and possibly serious injury, it's got to be worth thinking about....?
I would love to change all my springs right now! if four things bother me they do!!!!
But it comes down to cost and ability, I have over £2000 already invested in the car, the ability is there as can be seen by items done, but age and health is now making tasks like spring changes almost imposable on my own, and that will apply to a lot of our members!
I would gladly purchase the parts and pay to have them fitted for a reasonable price, but last quote was over £400!!!So although as much as I would love to change them, why fix something that isn't broke, especially at that price!
But if someone in my area was prepared to help me change them for a fee, I would be up for it.(HINT!)
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 13:01   #20
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I had a NS front spring go (thankfully missing the tyre) on my tourer just before Christmas in 2015 - that was a huge pain because I was going to swap to lowering springs and ZT dampers anyway to go with the 18" wheels I'd already put on the car because I was fed up wallowing about - but obviously Christmas means everyone is on holiday and on time deliveries? no chance.

I think you need to shop around for quotes though as £400 is significantly more than I paid for someone to fit 4 dampers and springs - and 4 uprated lowering springs only cost £120 delivered as I recall. Nowadays I mostly buy the parts, stick them in the boot and drive it to my tame garage and let them fit them, I get the parts I want without any of the hassle...... dear me I'm getting old
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote