Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th February 2017, 20:47   #41
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Glad to hear you got them sorted Mike, and please accept my apologies for 'hijacking' your thread.
I've been giving a lot of thought to this problem, and fitting plastic caps to the ends of the springs seemed to me to be a blatantly obvious mod that should have been introduced years ago.
Also all the posts about costs has given me some ammunition when mine is finally fixed. I'm giving them a ring tomorrow to see if it's ready to collect.
If I might impinge on your thread further I'd like to let the other interested parties know how this turns out for me.

And a small drain hole for where the springs are seated too.

Last edited by madeupname; 28th February 2017 at 20:54.. Reason: further idea.
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 15:15   #42
Mikejaytee
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourers x 2.

No Problem...all submissions very welcome...and the more discussion the better on this potentially serious issue.

I believe that this is a problem that can be sorted with some attention to detail, and that spring breakage can be avoided in 99% of cases if methods are employed to prevent rusting of the springs at the base of the coil. The tube isolator, with rust-proofing applied and then sealed with cable ties provides one solution to the problem.

Best regards,

Mike.
Mikejaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 17:26   #43
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejaytee View Post
No Problem...all submissions very welcome...and the more discussion the better on this potentially serious issue.

I believe that this is a problem that can be sorted with some attention to detail, and that spring breakage can be avoided in 99% of cases if methods are employed to prevent rusting of the springs at the base of the coil. The tube isolator, with rust-proofing applied and then sealed with cable ties provides one solution to the problem.
Thank you, and agreed on your solution.
Old 2nd March 2017, 09:36   #44
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Right then. . . . the saga continues

Rang the garage yesterday and spoke to the bloke doing the job. He said the springs were on, and so were the bearings.
Now, I thought it was the wheel bearings that had gone, but it was the top suspension bearings, so not as bad as I'd thought. He said he was having difficulty finding the tyre protectors so I pointed him in the direction of DMGRS. He then asked me what else I'd wanted doing. I told him gear box oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid and coolant, all wanted renewing. He said he'd crack on with them.
Now to today......
I got up this morning and decided to see how difficult finding the protectors is. My thinking was that with new springs all round, this Mod can wait as the new springs are not going to break in the first week. Therefore I can drive her away and find someone who knows what they're doing.
I fired up the puter, did a search for coil spring protectors, didn't find any, added Rover to the search criteria, saw some available on Ebay, signed in to Ebay and bought a brand new pair, bagged up and with a letter explaining the recall. Took me about 5 minutes over all. So then I called the garage.
The mechanic said he'd not had a chance to look for the part yet so I told him not to worry cos I'd just bought a pair and I'd come down to pick up my car.
He said it wasn't ready yet because he'd started draining the power steering fluid yesterday and it was still dripping out. He then asked me again what else needed doing, so I reminded him and he said he had some MOT's to do this morning so he'd do mine this afternoon.
Bearing in mind that I've been without the car for 12 days so far. All these fluid changes should have been done last week and out of the way.
Anyway he's going to ring me later today when it's all done.
He sounded so pulled out with it and harassed I didn't have the heart to tell him it's the last they'll ever see of me.
When the protectors arrive I'll nip up to the garage in Ecclesfield and have a word with the ex Rover mechanic up there.
Finfers crossed I'll be back on the road later today....... but who knows
Old 2nd March 2017, 22:10   #45
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Default Got Mo back

well finally Mo is once again sat on the road outside my house. And I got the bill.
Now first you have to remember that I wanted more doing than was strictly necessary. Having said that my own personal initial estimates for the oil and fluid changes were way out.
I had forgotten about towing charges, and there was the unexpected addition of new tyres. Again, I only needed one but went with two.
So, ........ make sure you're sat down, and don't shout at me please

Recovery - £45 + vat @ 20% = £54
S/Fit new tyres to front - £48.62 (each) + vat = 116.69
Valve and Balance - £0
Old tyre disposal - £0
Supply and fit new o/s/r Coil Spring - £83.33 + vat = £100
Supply and fit new n/s/r C/S - £83.33 + vat = £100
Supply and fit new n/s/f C/S - £124.99 + vat = £149.99
Supply and fit new o/s/f C/S and Top Bearing - £144.98 + vat = £173.98
Brake fluid change - £29.99 + vat = £35.99
Gearbox Oil - £19.99 + vat = £23.99
Anti Freeze - £24.99 + vat = £29.99
Power Steering fluid change - £24.35 + vat = £29.22

Net total - £678.19
VAT Total - £135.66
Total - £813.85
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s