Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st January 2018, 18:25   #11
olliesgrandad
Loves to post

mg zt

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
What gets me is the ‘speed kills’ statements that the authorities keep harping on about.

They don’t look further that speed, what about defective vehicles, driving without due care, etc etc.
Not forgetting the flaming pot holes etc
olliesgrandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 18:26   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I don't condone speeding but I do think there should be a few miles leniency to take into account speedo errors and a driver trying to compensate.
Your speedo shows 70 but you are doing 67 so you speed up to 75 on the speedo you end up at 71 or 72. There is no other measure on the speedo other then at 5 and 10 mph intervals.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 18:29   #13
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrover View Post
Why would anyone be remotely surprised? it is part and parcel of the punitive nature of law enforcement nowadays, ' someone always has to go to jail' mentality, in reality the law has to be enforced, I wonder if speed checking and the associated technology is in place to help prevent accidents, or just to make money for various governmental departments etc., one has to be a little cynical, to be fined because you are allegedly 1 mph over the speed limit? How accurate is the equipment used, how often is it calibrated, do we have access to this info as required, how many false positives are obtained etc etc., I think forces using speed cameras should be able to demonstrate that they contribute significantly to safety if these very narrow limits are to be enforced, otherwise honest decent motorists will continue to pay.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 18:29   #14
olliesgrandad
Loves to post

mg zt

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I don't recall anyone dying on Concord when it was going at mac 2 so I'm not convinced speed kills

macafee2
Er only the French one
olliesgrandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 18:35   #15
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

If there was a 1mph threshold the courts would be clogged with people contesting due to new tyres have larger diameter etc.
This Chief Contstable is trying to make a name for himself, I've heard on the news tonight that other chiefs have said the bloke is a clown (or words to that effect) and it's unenforceable.

What would be better is 3 yearly mandatory eye tests from the opticians, with the results sent straight to DVLA on a central computer, so no seeing = no driving and licenced revoked. Also a mandatory re sit of the driving test every time the photo card licence needs renewing (10 years). Again no pass = no driving. That would clear out some of the rubbish on our roads, like the bloke trying to refill his electric vaping thing whilst he was pulling away from the lights tonight.

I find it ironic that our vehicles, certainly those on this forum over 36 months old, are tested every year for their roadworthiness. However I passed my test at 17 and can keep on driving for another 53 years without any checks for my competency behind the wheel or knowledge of new rules etc.

It's the nuts holding the steering wheel that cause the problems, not speed or indeed velocity as my physics teacher would say, that's something else I remember from when I was 17!

Last edited by sworks; 2nd February 2018 at 17:54..
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 18:36   #16
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliesgrandad View Post
Er only the French one
I don't think it quite got to mach 2
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 18:45   #17
andy willi
I really should get out more.......

PRE LAUNCH 75/ZT 190/XJ 550

SPEED KILLS YES

i have to work on the hard shoulder of the motorways every night and in the road works , the idiots come at you all the time and the speed they travel at is more than you think , i have been missed by inches more times than you can think of , there is no driver of a car van or truck who dose not speed especially on motorways . i have in the last 35 years had only one conviction for speeding 33 in a 30 and did the speed awareness course. SPEED KILLS ,

ANDY
andy willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 18:50   #18
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

He can set the limit at 0.1 mph above the limit it makes no odds as it's unenforceable. Why, there's hardly any police officers to enforce it.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 18:59   #19
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Yes, of course speed kills. Ban all driving, and the problem is solved!

But does it make sense?.

Far better to keep people responsible for their actions.
Modern speed control is just an extra tax, and a slap in the face of people to remind them who is in charge.
We are farm animals being milked by the elite, and most are too stupid to realise it.
That is the sad fact.
Orwell lived in vain, sadly. And that will be the case until people wake up and resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy willi View Post
SPEED KILLS YES

i have to work on the hard shoulder of the motorways every night and in the road works , the idiots come at you all the time and the speed they travel at is more than you think , i have been missed by inches more times than you can think of , there is no driver of a car van or truck who dose not speed especially on motorways . i have in the last 35 years had only one conviction for speeding 33 in a 30 and did the speed awareness course. SPEED KILLS ,

ANDY
Old 31st January 2018, 19:44   #20
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

We need to go back to old style policing, when I was caught racing the unmarked copper in my p6, all I got was a blooming good rollicking, it must have worked as I’ve been driving 33 years and never had a point in my licence.