Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th January 2014, 20:13   #1
david75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn SE, 04

Default chrome body trim question

Car I bought recently has a very wet boot.
I think I know where this is coming from. The chrome body trim is visibly sprung away from the car near the rear of the trim. See picture.

Today I checked this (also to try to see if there are leaks from anywhere else) by removing all the boot carpet, drying off all the puddles, covering the floor and sides of boot with newspaper, and then washing the car with hosepipe.

Afterwards, it was indeed the left part of the boot that had wet newspaper, so it looks as though the trim fixing is the (or at least the major) source of the leak.

Anway, on closer inspection of the trim (with trim still in situ) it appears that it has a black backing that presumably is meant to seal against the car, but has become delaminated (in the vicinity of the rearmost clip). You can just about see this in the picture. So I assume if I get a new bit of trim and install it properly, with some sealant on the backs of the clips just to make sure, that might cure the leak

So my question is:
How does the trim come off? pull? slide? something releases on the inside? I'm, not sure, so advice appreciated.

Last edited by david75; 12th January 2014 at 20:13.. Reason: spelling
david75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 21:01   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

If you go into the boot, pull the side moulding away you'll see the clips that hold the trim in place. They are one of the known places for water to get into the boot. I have severe doubts about getting a new piece of trim. The usual method for dealing for water ingress via the trim clips is to remove them, a blob of silicone then refit them.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 21:10   #3
david75
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
If you go into the boot, pull the side moulding away you'll see the clips that hold the trim in place. They are one of the known places for water to get into the boot. I have severe doubts about getting a new piece of trim. The usual method for dealing for water ingress via the trim clips is to remove them, a blob of silicone then refit them.
Yes I realise this (ie ... usual method ... remove them, a blob of silicone then refit them...), but in my case I think the chrome bit of the trim has become separated from the black plastic bit of the trim that sits against the car, so the springyness of the chrome means it will stick out from the car as shown in the pic.

But having said that, to do what you said, how do the trim clips actually remove?

thanks.
Old 12th January 2014, 21:25   #4
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

The trim clips are actually threaded and should simply unscrew.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 20:27   #5
david75
Posted a thing or two

thanks, I'll give that a try. probably be the weekend before I get to it. thank you.
Old 13th January 2014, 20:29   #6
Andydote
Gets stuck in

ZT CDTI & 220 Turbo

I can send you a replacement trim if you need it.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...23ce063f6c.jpg
Andydote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 20:39   #7
david75
Posted a thing or two

OK, so here's an update.

After testing with dry newspaper and then looking for where it gets wet, it does seem that the water leak (well most of it anyway) is coming from the holes where the trim is fixed on.

I took the trim off and put it back on again with the holes/clips siliconed.

A couple more problems arose from doing this.

There are two types of fixing clips on this bit of trim:

- the two nearest the back of the car have a screw poking through the hole into the boot, with a washer and a nut to keep it in place

- the remainder (about 4, I think) push into the holes in the body panel with a 'click', because you can't actually get at them from the inside of the car

So the 2 problems were:

1. the 'click'-type clips went back in ok, but the one nearest the front had lost its 'clickyness' due to fatigue of the plastic barb bit that pops through the hole. The end of the trim at that point needs to be held into the curve of the car, but due to the fatigued clip it is tending to pop out at a tangent to the curve of the car

2. The rear-most screw-type fixing had come adrift from the trim. It looked as if it had been glued back in place at some time in the past, but unsuccessfully, and also the plastic was bent and pretty weak, which was the root cause of the trim not being seated to the car properly (see my original picture).

I tried to glue it back again, but when I applied it to the car and screwed up the nut from the inside to pull the trim to the bend of the car, the glue did not hold, and so the rearmost bit of the trim is still not flat to the curve of the car but sticks out at a tangent to the curve.

Anyway I have stuck it all back temporarily with silicone in all the holes, so at least I will see if that has cured the leak, but as far as seating the trim properly to the curve of the car, I am back where I started.

I see on Rimmers that the 'clicky' clips are available DYC101440, but the screwey type ones are not (you can only get the washers DYF100830 and nuts DYH10042L).

Does that mean that the screwey type fixings only come with a complete bit of trim ?
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:50   #8
david75
Posted a thing or two

bump......
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:00   #9
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
The trim clips are actually threaded and should simply unscrew.
I am sitting here with a trim clip in my hand, and they are not threaded, they have two little plastic "springy" pieces that stick out from the body of the clip, that fit through the hole in the bodywork. These little "spring" parts then spring out and secure the clip in the body. My advice is to fit the clip to the trim then press it into the hole in the body behind the trim. Easy peasy. MG.ROVER NO DYC101440

Last edited by bl52krz; 22nd January 2014 at 22:03.. Reason: Should have read a bit further down the posts. duh
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:04   #10
david75
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I am sitting here with a trim clip in my hand, and they are not threaded, they have two little plastic "springy" pieces that stick out from the body of the clip, that fit through the hole in the bodywork. These little "spring" parts then spring out and secure the clip in the body. My advice is to fit the clip to the trim then press it into the hole in the body behind the trim. Easy peasy. MG.ROVER NO DYC101440
Yes I agree, and thank you for the part number.

But what you say is only true for the approx 4 clips nearer to the front of the car.

The two rear-most ones have screws integral to the clip and then nuts go on the inside of the boot. This is because they have to be stronger than the clippy clips in order to pull the trim to the curve of the car towards the rear.

It is the screw-type clip that is broken on mine, and I don't think you can buy those clips separately from the trim. Thanks.