Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd December 2012, 16:07   #1
ianinfrance
Gets stuck in

Triumph TR7 2.0 dhc + ford ranger XLT+ VW Passat 2.5 V6 Tdi

Default Planning time peut-etre!

I don't frequent these columns much these days, too busy with the internet shop, my other job as a horse dentist, my other job as a builder, my other job as woodchopper, gardner, hay maker, horse rider, stable lad, househusband, cook, chauffeur to someone who needs to pass his ****** driving test etc.

It's coming round for a planned car replacement to get me round parts of France for the dentistry job and I want something nice. Budget is tight isn't everyones? As I have 2 other cars a motorbike and a tractor and god knows how much kit to go with it + all the other **** needed to mow, trim saw and all the other stuff!

I have a focus which in spite of wories is and has been fine. However in about 12 to 15 months she will be 14 years old with 140/150k miles and is bound to need some stuff doing. Steering rack probably first as it has an occasionally sticky valve already.
I have it in mind that scrap value is all I can expect for her and buy cars with that thought in mind (4 years then bin it).

I play fantasy auto trader and found myself looking at a longish list of very pretty 1.8 MG/75's. Yeah I know HGF! but it is known quantity I think. Also fixable here in peasant land France. Whereas BMW diesels are less and Auto boxes most definitely are not known!! Also labour costs here are as no cheaper than UK and parts are normally much pricier from a French garage or supplier. (I get stuff sent out)
So I wondered if your concensus would help me decide if a 1.8 would be a manageable prospect?

I do what I can myself and have 1 good old fashioned mechanic here and an expert on K series for advice (he is retired from fettling motors these days). Other than major surgery I can look after most things myself.

Well I would value your 2 pennies worth. Please read carefully before pointing me at a 75 cdt auto.
Cheers Ian
ianinfrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 19:24   #2
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Hi Ian,
Well mines a 1.8 and I'm more than happy with it Had it since January and have had the clutch replaced. I have a coolant level sensor and a coolant temp gauge fitted ( both available via Vindaloo), and tbh I have stopped worrying about the HGF horror stories so much now. I don't just purely rely on the above mods. I check the coolant level myself regularly too. I think that the later models aren't quite so prone to the hgf
I think you can rest assured that if you look after it and carry out routine checks then you will be fine.
Just my opinion of course. I hope I haven't jinxed myself now
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 17:49   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Ian. How the devil are are you ????

Cars----- I might be biased but----------I have now owned my R75 Diesel 5 years 8 months and have only had one problem with it. Water in the boot 4 years ago which took me less than an hour to fix.

1 set of brake pads. ( Front. ) Just fitted the second set of tyres. Replaced the 8 1/2 year old original battery. 1 set of wiper blades.

That's the total in problems. ( If you count wear as a problem. )

Diesel is cheaper in France. The diesel R75 will also pull a trailer MUCH easier than a petrol model. Also no more prone to electrical faults than the petrol model.

Don't know if you'll get to read this but there it is anyway.

PS. Not an auto. Lol.

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 18:00   #4
ianinfrance
Gets stuck in

Triumph TR7 2.0 dhc + ford ranger XLT+ VW Passat 2.5 V6 Tdi

Sorry, busy again!

Thank you for the replies. Pretty much what I thought I would hear.

I think I will look at the appropriate moment and buy the best one I can find for the money.

I have a feeling that often the right car comes alomg when you don't tie yourself down to a specific model or engine or colour etc.

I am very well John, not sure if I will get many clients down your way. None so far but you never know!

Happy New Year Everyone!!
ianinfrance is offline   Reply With Quote