Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th July 2021, 20:32   #1
petem
Regular poster

75 saloon

Default Our path to 'modern' 75 ownership - an ongoing saga

I liked the styling of the 75 since I first set eyes on it, all those years ago. But I've always chosen to drive much older cars. I learnt to drive in a P4 110 purchased for 50 squid off a mate's dad when I was 17. It seemed ancient at the time, and was really only dodging the scrap yard by the skin of its teeth. Looking back, it must have been newer than our new old 75, even though this car feels modern in every respect.

Our car is an early Cowley built, Arden green metallic, club spec, with a beige cloth interior, first registered in Malta, November 1999.

Technically my wife's car. We bought her a little hot hatch Mitsubishi while she was learning to drive, and when she passed her test and started driving it, she hated it, so that made two of us She decided a larger automatic like our friend's Bimmer would be more suitable. I noticed a 2.5 V6 Connie for sale, I told her it was like a BMW so we went to look.

It was two owners 70K on the clock and fairly immaculate. Turned out to be manual, which put a smile on my face, and she still liked it. But we had to sell our car to afford it - and we missed it.

Only other 75 for sale on the island at this time, was a quite smart looking 1.8, manual (not ideal), but only 60k on the clock, so, we went to see. Sadly in the flesh it wasn't as smart as it looked in the ad, or even on the same wheels. The other half nearly got back in the car without looking at it. But we looked over it anyway.

On closer inspection, all the panels looked straight, and I couldn't see any rust apart from a hole in one of the door b post trims. The paint was only really let down by some of the clear coat peeling. I liked the colour, and liked the modified mesh grille. The wheels in the ad were part of the deal, just the tyres were shot, so it was riding a good set on its original wheels. The asking price was one third of the Connie with the 18" wheels included. I was starting to like the car, even if she wasn't.

The interior was not great - not hanging, but subjected to 20 + years of smokers, I think. Kind of nicotine yellow where once there was cream, and with the odd cigarette burn, to garnish. It took a bit of encouragement to get her to sit in it for a test drive, but we did. It drove like a car with 60k on the clock, and I was pleasantly surprised by the engine. Not an exciting drive, but pleasant, and mrs petem approved, but didn't think this was the car we should buy.

To be fair I've seen better cars being given away in the UK, so she had a point. But, we're not in the UK, and beggars can't be choosers. So time to get creative.

In Malta (population of a medium sized town in the UK), it's all about who you know. So first question to the seller was; do you know someone who could correct the paintwork for you - and do you think you could get it done cheap enough for us to have a deal - of course he did. Paint problem solved

Next the interior. I started looking around for replacement seats etc (in the UK), and it was all cheap enough to make sense. Bolstered by some of the how-to's and other great info here, I started planning some upgrades while we're at it. Of course I did

Packing and shipping being the only problematic issue. But as luck would have it I was already booked to go to the UK for a week or so, so If I planned it right I could arrange deliveries and collections, and get it all to the shipping company, while I'm there.

Presented plan to the boss, who reluctantly agreed as, we had someone sniffing around the Mitsubishi.

Mitsubishi sold, Rover purchased at the right price to afford a side deal to have the paint done. Collected the car from the paint shop today, all looking rather nice, it's not perfect, but presents very well, and as good as the Connie, I think. Shiny paint is very important to mrs petem It still owes us one third of the asking price for the Connie.' so quids in for the next stage

Only minor niggle, is, in an attempt to go the extra mile and repair the rusty b post trim (I'd already removed it, and told him not to bother, as I'd get a replacement) some ham fisted , sausage fingered, erm... employee, managed to damage the door top trim - that doesn't even need to be touched anyway - so one more thing on my list of requirements

Most of the interior and other toys I want for it have been sourced, and arrangements made, in part with some of the great people on this forum, so thanks guys. I'm off to the UK next week, assuming they don't cancel the flight. There is so much more that can go wrong with this plan either way, so watch this space, if you're interested

If you read all this, maybe consider taking up a hobby?

Here's the car as of today:

petem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2021, 21:13   #2
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Great write up. Stick with it and you’ll achieve your goal. I did and now have a cracking 1.8t.

My other car is my runaround, V8 ZTT 400.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2021, 21:45   #3
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Thumbs up

Thanks for the post, I will be reading with interest as I've had some good holidays in Malta, it's such a lovely island and nice people too.
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2021, 21:49   #4
petem
Regular poster

75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Great write up. Stick with it and you’ll achieve your goal. I did and now have a cracking 1.8t.

My other car is my runaround, V8 ZTT 400.
That's supercharged, right? Not jealous

Long term plan is to turbocharge our 1.8. Not easy to swap the engine here, local legal quirk. So will be a case of buying another engine but retaining the original block with parts dropped in from the donor engine.

I much prefer this route to be honest. I will be modifying the front end to fit a premium style grille - I know that splits opinion, but I like it.

It'll look good next to our very modified 1950 75
Old 24th July 2021, 22:18   #5
petem
Regular poster

75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire View Post
Thanks for the post, I will be reading with interest as I've had some good holidays in Malta, it's such a lovely island and nice people too.
We've been here 7 years now. Moved from China. My wife is Chinese, I'm a Brit. Look us up next time you visit
Old 25th July 2021, 08:43   #6
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Nice looking car Pete
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 11:57   #7
petem
Regular poster

75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Nice looking car Pete
Thanks. Happy with the way it turned out. It was a bit nerve racking waiting, as had to trust the paint guy at his word to do a good job, and not renege on the price agreed when it came to collection, after having paid for the car in full.

Only slight downer was the damaged door top trim, but it's a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things. The paint job was too cheap for such a good job, to argue over the trim.
Old 26th July 2021, 19:58   #8
petem
Regular poster

75 saloon

Car on the lift today. Nothing bad to report

Nearside driveshaft gaiter was loose, so secured with a new tie. The air intake pipe is toast, as anticipated. No engine bay tray present, and some wiring hanging down from the front bumper, so secured to the bumper for the time being. Everything else in great condition. wheel bearings fine. brakes like new. Hopefully, the iffy steering at speed is just down to wheel alignment. We'll find out soon enough.

Engine is weeping a bit of oil from the sump gasket, and maybe the rocker cover gasket. No sign of any head gasket problem. Hoses all look good. No sign of leaking clutch fluid.

So, all in all very happy
Old 2nd August 2021, 00:48   #9
petem
Regular poster

75 saloon

Off to Blighty today and will start the mammoth task of collecting all the stuff I need for the complete upgrade of the car, and forwarding to Malta

Planned mods include the following:

powerfold bullet wing mirrors (still need passenger side mirror - any condition considered)
xenon headlights
electric leather, heated, memory seats
replacement matching door cards, b post trims, seat belts, centre arm rest (Still need black footwell panels)
black perforated leather MG steering wheel
rear power blind
centre console 4 switch panel
drivers side cup holder
7" android double din radio head unit
front and rear parking cameras
handbrake mod
remote boot locking - will try to achieve this with toaf as no access to T4
swapping out damaged walnut trim

Still need door top chrome trim/window seal - passenger side rear - anyone?

Hope to get it all here for end of august, Giving myself September to get it all done
Old 11th November 2021, 13:55   #10
petem
Regular poster

75 saloon

Default full black

Finally got all the parts I bought in the UK safely here in Malta. Got stitched up for duty and vat (thanks Brexit), but still worth the effort. Decided now I've seen it, to go full black interior with the ash grey leather seats. So gotta source a few more odds n ends - centre console etc, before I can complete.

In meantime I started fitting the seats. Very disappointed not to find electric seat wiring looms under my original 1999 registered club seats No worries have Rick's great 'how to' as plan B.

Found huge wells of water under a soaked rear seat base. Read all the threads on the subject, and suspect rear window seal, but boot has remained dry in recent downpours, strangely, so keeping an open mind currently.

Today I finally found the cause of an irritating issue I've had since purchase. It felt at times as if the car was being starved of fuel, momentary sudden loss of power etc. I ran the tank dry shortly after purchase - fuel gauge was a little optimistic. So I first assumed it had dragged a load of NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- out of the tank in to the fuel system. Then I started to convince myself it was electrical, as seemed worse when damp and cold, better when hot. Finally today I smelt petrol and pulled over with engine running. Petrol pouring out of one of the injectors. had to leave with nearby garage to replace injector o ring seals. Lucky it didn't go up in flames I guess.

Last edited by petem; 11th November 2021 at 14:00.. Reason: naughty word - couldn't think of better word for other instance