Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st July 2021, 07:39   #111
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Some helpful tips, hopefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
I went to change my o ring on my original stat.. unfortunately the base of the stat broke where.it goes into the block..
Accidents can happen the first time this job is attempted. Use lubricant on the 'O' rings and keep the housing near vertical throughout. Always bear in mind that you're dealing with plastic so controlled, limited force is the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
Other than actually cracking the new thermostat open when it arrives (rendering the unit useless afterwards) and testing the thermostat that way with hot water etc, there's no real way of knowing for absolute certain until it's fitted into the car.
How about heating the whole assembly in water then, when it reaches say 85˚ but below 88˚, whip it out and quickly pour water into the lower radiator hose port to test for opening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Collingwood View Post
I still haven't made up my mind about buying this car ...
Aidan, I think you can do better than this tourer. It has a lot of problems, not least the K-seal which is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to remove. It causes havoc with the cooling system, other members being driven to despair by unpredictable overheating and coolant ejection. The "death rattle" indicates that it needs a replacement manifold chamber which means waiting for one to be offered second-hand unless you can stomach the high price of a new one. The drooping headlining is an unusual fault and it all adds up to a car which perhaps hasn't received the care and attention it deserves.

Simon
Old 21st July 2021, 07:42   #112
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
X part had hundreds of the Indian arms in stock at the time they were found to be defective.
Andy i think quite a few others seller did and do still, ECP Rimmer bros, they are most likely still trying to pass them on to us, therefore anyone purchasing new rear arms i would ask what make they are and from when as i presume it is only DMGRS that as the latest new arms which are stamped with DMGRS on them.

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...37476407836835

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2021, 07:53   #113
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Thanks for the info Simon. I couldn't say if I had been a tad rough when removing the original unit, what I do remember is it being -5°c I suspect it was the original 18 year old thermostat and with those temps I put it down to age.. I do lubricate o rings upon assembly as I have done for years on other cars I've owned.

As for the Indian arms issue, if these were being sold via xpart.to.other parts outlets.such as Rimmer's etc.. that really isn't good, even more so if the arms are still available for sale! Surely xpart could look into the concerns of quality. After all, a thermostat.opening too early is one thing.. a major suspension compenent failure could prove fatal not only for passengers but also other bystanders..
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2021, 08:36   #114
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Andy i think quite a few others seller did and do still, ECP Rimmer bros, they are most likely still trying to pass them on to us, therefore anyone purchasing new rear arms i would ask what make they are and from when as i presume it is only DMGRS that as the latest new arms which are stamped with DMGRS on them.

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...37476407836835
Quite right, loads of sellers including DMGRS! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293506246...AAAOSwi-BeZ77W

Scary,
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2021, 16:52   #115
biffa75
Trader

Back to the subject of thermostats..

Finally got the car back up and running, bled the cooling system and then allowed it to cool and checked the level (was still over the max mark inside the tank). During driving at lower speeds i.e 30mph the engine temp.hovered around the 86-88°c area and sometimes slightly higher.. when climbing hills the temp ran higher at around 84-86°c.

At motorway speeds the temp was.coming back at 84-87°c.

Appears cyclical, which leads me to the think I still have an air lock (with the coolant level above the max tab inside the tank too...)

I'm going to allow it to cool, remove some of the coolant in the tank and take it to the max tab inside and wait for things to stabilize and report back

With the increased temperature readings despite being a little all over the place.. if the above doesn't improve the situation, it could be a faulty temp switch but I'll put that as a last resort.

The fact that it's running hotter than it ever has with the old thermostat.

Rob
Old 21st July 2021, 17:55   #116
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the update but it seems that your faith in your supplier might be misplaced. It might be running hotter than it ever has but has a long way to go before matching my near constant 95 deg which I consider to be normal operating temperature.

No new thermostats for me, I'm starting to think that Stocktake's idea of a remote diesel type solution might not be so daft, but perhaps with a 1.8T style dummy thermostat in place of the standard one. At least then we could easily swop a thermostat should it prove unreliable.

Regards
Old 21st July 2021, 18:03   #117
biffa75
Trader

No problem,

If it does turn out to be a faulty thermostat again... I'm sorry to say but my time mg rover will be coming to an end. With issues over rear arms, duff thermostats despite best attempts and the money involved for potentially NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- parts as a young family also trying to save a deposit to buy our first house.. I can't continue this way.

Using a remote thermostat may be a solution and should work however.. if the original thermostat cracks or thermostat jams shut, it would.still need replacing and the point of paying the money for what you know is a poor part.. isn't something I'm prepared to put up with unfortunately

I'm going to give it a little longer and double.check other things and make sure the system is free of air. I'm hoping this will stop the temperature fluctuating.

Thanks
Rob
Old 21st July 2021, 18:28   #118
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Even though not ideal, an 82 thermostat should work in most conditions in the UK climate, sometimes in the dead of winter you might miss those extra degrees, I’d miss them a lot more.

My advice would be put up with what you’ve got but contact the supplier with your findings, hopefully you might get a refund.

The 1.8T has, I believe, a dummy thermostat, the bare frame but nothing internal so it’s open all the time, hopefully it will all be solved long before such a step is needed, but it’s a Plan B.

Regards
Old 21st July 2021, 20:18   #119
Shuriken_57
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Hello biffa, I understand your disappointment, I am in the same situation.
I’m gonna stop bothering with the thermostat right now, I need toi fixe my auto gearbox .

I bought two thermostats and the result is always the same. My running temperature is about 82 degrees, and it takes time to heat the vehicle.

I would change the thermostat when I found a reliable supplier. Unfortunately, I live in France and I don’t know the English dealers.
Also, import taxes have gone up.

Goodbye.

Last edited by Shuriken_57; 22nd July 2021 at 11:22..
Shuriken_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2021, 20:43   #120
biffa75
Trader

Thanks shuriken, my previous thermostat sat at 82°c regardless unless stuck.in traffic.

The new one sits higher but it fluctuates.from.84-96°c. I'm just going to ignore it and keep and eye on the level. Make sure there's no air locks and.be done with it.

Regards