Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th August 2021, 16:28   #1
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

Default duff radio??

can anyone advise me if the radio can be fixed. I have a xtrons head unit with kudos navigator and single disc player. these both work fine the reversing camera/parking sensors are all working fine too. I have pulled the unit forward and connected a new separate aerial and only receive static so I am assuming its the radio but advice would be greatly appreciated.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2021, 13:00   #2
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

Surely if the only thing you've changed is the aerial, and the radio worked before, the assumption should be that there is something not right with the new aerial? If there really is a problem with the Xtrons unit, you may struggle to find anyone who offers an economically viable repair service, but other members may know if it's possible.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2021, 16:07   #3
euro44
Avid contributor

actually tracker the radio was barely working before I tried another aerial. I should have made that clearer in my first post. it was performing badly when I got the car nearly 3 years ago and a previous owner had fitted a magnetic roof aerial in place of the rusted up innards of the sharks fin. they had also tried a windscreen stick on job and joined the two together. Because the shark fin was a source of water leaking in , when I fixed that problem I stripped the roof aerial out and found it made no difference to the reception, now I have removed the windscreen one as well ,again without any change in reception. My conclusion therefor was a fault in the radio receiver unit. thanks for the info about repairing the original xtrons unit , I was kind of expecting it was too old for repair.
Old 27th August 2021, 09:32   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Christopher,

I thought that the shark's fin was a GPS aerial or have I got that wrong? Doesn't the tourer have the radio aerial in the side window glass or something similar?

Simon
Old 27th August 2021, 16:46   #5
euro44
Avid contributor

its hard to work out exactly what is doing what on this motor. when i investigated the water leak I found the sharks fin not connected to anything, but a magnetic job had been routed through the fin !!!!! the sat nav cd player and rear camera all worked fine. the radio however struggled to pick up anything much. I removed the magnetic job as it was badly rusted and causing water to creep under the fin. the car has been dry as a bone since thankfully However I dont fancy pulling the headlining down as its rather brittle round the edges , but there are aerial wires going in all directions, creeping from front to back under door seals, running across the roof above the headlining etc, and if I connect any of them up to the head unit everything works except the radio ,lol. my hand book says the drivers side rear window is lined for the radio and the passengers for the tv. ( not fitted ) I really dont mind not having a radio as my cd collections good but I dont like stuff not working as it should.
Old 29th August 2021, 17:34   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Do you have any other electrical bits using plug in connections, such as dash cam etc as the power transformers can interfere with the radio signal. I swapped my dashcam supply lead for one with a ferrite connection (a big black blob in the line) and then, normal radio resumed!
Old 30th August 2021, 17:09   #7
euro44
Avid contributor

Thanks for the info, however I dont have anything else plugged into cigar lighter but have had a dashcam in there before and there was no difference to the radio reception. I guess i will just have to listen to cd,s for music ( and SWMBO for directions and what I did wrong today lol ) When the beast is on the road.