Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st July 2021, 19:45   #1
AustinMaxi
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Front passenger door wont open from outside

Its been gradually getting worse but now the door won't open when pulling on the handle from the outside. Opens fine from the inside.

I would appreciate any helpful tips on how to fix this. Thanks

Last edited by AustinMaxi; 21st July 2021 at 20:07..
AustinMaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2021, 21:06   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

You probably need to adjust the clip on the threaded rod. Link:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...35&postcount=7 Once you've tested it a couple of times, you could add a cable tie around the clip for extra security.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2021, 21:07   #3
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Good news that you can still open it from the inside as this means you have better access to take the door card off which is what I think you will have to do. With the door card off you'll be able to inspect the mechanism. There's quite a lot of info on the forum on this topic as it seems like a common problem. Try searching the forum or even just Google.

It's been ages since it happened to me but once you've got the door card off and are looking in, from memory, there should be a metal rod going from the outer handle, into a white plastic clip which is clipped onto a metal arm on the door lock gizmo. I've always thought of this as looking a bit like a bottle opener. This all has to be connected up and crucially the rod has to be in the correct position within the white clip in order to function properly. The rod is threaded on the end where it goes into the clip but this doesn't mean it screws on or anything. The white clip opens up like a clam and is also threaded. It closes on the rod.

If your arms are nimble enough, reach in and push the bottle opener down by hand and see if it unlocks the door. If it does then you've confirmed the problem is your handle to rod to clip set up.

Apologies if any of this info is false. It has been some time. Good luck.
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2021, 21:09   #4
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
You probably need to adjust the clip on the threaded rod. Link:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...35&postcount=7 Once you've tested it a couple of times, you could add a cable tie around the clip for extra security.

Regards
You beat me to it . Damn my rambling!
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 10:21   #5
AustinMaxi
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

I've taken the door card off and can see the exterior door rod release, The entire mechanism is still connected to the outside door handle and working.

Therefore it would seem that I need to adjust or open the white plastic clip at the threaded end of the bar. I am slightly confused on how I do this.

I presume the adjustment can be done with the mechanism still attached to the door.

Strangely the door handle is now opening the door again even though I've not adjusted anything yet.
Old 25th July 2021, 10:29   #6
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMaxi View Post
I've taken the door card off and can see the exterior door rod release, The entire mechanism is still connected to the outside door handle and working.

Therefore it would seem that I need to adjust or open the white plastic clip at the threaded end of the bar. I am slightly confused on how I do this.

I presume the adjustment can be done with the mechanism still attached to the door.

Strangely the door handle is now opening the door again even though I've not adjusted anything yet.
Just prise the clip open with a small flat bladed screwdriver while still attached to the other parts. I had to replace a door handle on my daughter's Tourer about a month ago and then after, re-position the threaded rod a few threads until the handle opened with ease.

Even if it opens now, you can be sure at the next MoT it won't

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 12:58   #7
AustinMaxi
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

I successfully opened the clip and thought I was done. Unfortunatley in the process I have somehow managed to unclip the other end of the rod from the door handle. So now the external door handle is not connected to anything. I'm going to try to re-attach by feel as it is hidden from view.