Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th August 2021, 14:15   #1
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Default MOT Hassle advice please

The following were the advisories on this years MOT,

Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Nearside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()not resulting in excessive movement.

How difficult is it to change suspension bushes? Can the steering rack wear be rectified by adjustment etc>> Thanks in advance
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2021, 15:40   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I am assuming the first two refer to this arm https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...2500-rbj000371

Some people change them with the sub frame almost in situ, just lossened off a bit but I removed mine. Some have had a real difficult job splitting arm from sub frame but mine were easy.

the third, is it this bush item 3 or 4? https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001553
not too difficult but you will need a press or a tool to draw old bush out and new one in, I took my trailing arm to a garage and had them do it.

sorry I dont know what joint they are referring to. If it is the one from steering rack to "hub" it is quite easy to change

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2021, 15:55   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The rubber bush housings can be knocked off in situ as in most cases the bush wears out first.---No need to remove the arm or ball joints.
There are two bolts in the bush housing that are difficult to get at and are usually very tight.---A job best left to a garage as a ramp makes access easy.

Most garages could do both sides in much less than an hour.

Cost of parts about £20 each.

Steering. -New parts needed.---Not too expensive.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2021, 16:44   #4
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rov...-steering-rack

The steering one would refer to the above I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2021, 17:46   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
The rubber bush housings can be knocked off in situ as in most cases the bush wears out first.---No need to remove the arm or ball joints.
There are two bolts in the bush housing that are difficult to get at and are usually very tight.---A job best left to a garage as a ramp makes access easy.

Most garages could do both sides in much less than an hour.

Cost of parts about £20 each.

Steering. -New parts needed.---Not too expensive.
for those of us that dont have a clue, what parts are you talking about, link to items please

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 10:26   #6
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
for those of us that dont have a clue, what parts are you talking about, link to items please

macafee2
Hi Once again...Like you I am also confused as to which bushes they are referring to, so I guess a return visit is required, but so far the feedback from forum especially steering is very encouraging.
But to give you some idea about this garage (I know.....I need to find another)!!,but also on the MOT they listed my discs (only changed 1500 miles back)as rusted beyond limits vehicle dangerous to drive.I contacted the manager(who I know personally)who stated he had to stand by the MOT report and it would cost £250 per axle!!!!After making it "very" clear that wasn't going to happen, he asked me what do you intend doing with the vehicle as its failed. So in reply I stated I would take it home park it in the drive and leave it there (In actual fact I would have changed the discs myself).
So with that he said leave it with me I will put it back up on the ramp and see what we can do.
An hour later a phone call from a nice guy who stated, "not to worry Derek all done,it just so happened one of our staff had brought in a special grinder to do his own discs, which we used on yours and they are now like new"!!!!!Total labour £80!!! How very providential!!!
I actually have 3 MOts from same garage marked fail and then passed without my hardly raising a finger, beggars belief.
I could go on but don't wish to bore you. name of the garage "Halfords"

But when I find out which bushes they are referring to I will pass it on
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Old 5th August 2021, 13:03   #7
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Do you by any chance have one of the "MoT Only" places near to you?

About 30 odd years ago a new "garage" opened up near us doing just MoT's. Bit of a gimmick at the time.

No repairs, no welding, no servicing, nothing but MoT's. Just the tester and his daughter in the office.

Started off in a single unit, one set of brake rollers etc. I used them regularly for both cars and motorbikes and was always very happy with the way things were tested.

A fail was shown to you and explained what made it a fail and advised on what was needed to be done.

Now they have two units and are very, very busy with a solid, reliable reputation for doing quality MoT's.

Just a thought.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 17:09   #8
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskin View Post
name of the garage "Halfords"
Not surprising really, much the same as the Kwik Fit bunch, i have done a number of full MOT's after these guys had failed them only to find they are actually ok!

Only one bush in the front suspension and that is the lower arm rear bush, however, if you get it rechecked it's probably ok with only a small amount of cracking and not affecting its operation. Same as the trailing arm bushes, they are probably fine too.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 19:14   #9
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Swedish MoT stations are run as independents, ie no repairs or other influences.

Perhaps as AndyNO1 suggested go to a place that only does tests, Plymouth City Council have their own testing station in Prince Rock 01752 304703 and do cars.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2021, 09:34   #10
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Do you by any chance have one of the "MoT Only" places near to you?

About 30 odd years ago a new "garage" opened up near us doing just MoT's. Bit of a gimmick at the time.

No repairs, no welding, no servicing, nothing but MoT's. Just the tester and his daughter in the office.

Started off in a single unit, one set of brake rollers etc. I used them regularly for both cars and motorbikes and was always very happy with the way things were tested.

A fail was shown to you and explained what made it a fail and advised on what was needed to be done.

Now they have two units and are very, very busy with a solid, reliable reputation for doing quality MoT's.

Just a thought.
Hi Andy Now that's something I did not know! So thanks for the heads up, its also provided another result from Vitesse who has given me contact details for local one so next year I shall be heading off to different venue.....