Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st May 2020, 16:54   #1
sjc
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 180 Sports +, 2007 completely restored XJ 4.2 LWB Sovereign,Noble M400,LR Discovery 3

Default Sold my car to a friend .... typical !!

Having acquired my ZT-T, I offered my ultra reliable 2004/54 75 V6 with 130k miles to one of my very good friends for £650, even included the Navall! I even gave him 28 days to give it back if anything broke such was my confidence in it in true Sod’s law fashion,14 days in and for the first time ever the EML light has started flashing !! He said it’s a little bit hesitant as well. I was thinking first stop plugs, and go from there ( only got a generic code reader), but he’s now mentioned that it started after he’d gone up a kerb stone and parked, so I’m now wondering if he may have knocked the cat or a sensor ?
Any thoughts much appreciated, and if there’s a forum member in the Harlow area that people recommend then please fire away.
Thanks in advance to any contributors
Old 31st May 2020, 17:51   #2
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Have a look at the first heat shield, there's a lamda sensor there and he could have caught / chaffed the wiring to it.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 01:41   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
Have a look at the first heat shield, there's a lamda sensor there and he could have caught / chaffed the wiring to it.
Good shout Dave

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 07:42   #4
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

If you / they need assistance you have chelmer repair service in Chelmsford, surprisingly or Kevin at Wickford. See the T4 location map for details.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 11:59   #5
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Fractured cable insulation

A friend’s ZT developed an erratic engine a while ago – would accelerate, then slow down to the point he wouldn’t allow his wife to drive his car.

I can’t claim any credit for the solution as Marinabrian mentioned that the harness may have been damaged – cable insulation had fractures that allowed the voltage to vary. His damaged harness gave the ECM false readings that in turn sent various messages to his message centre in his IPK and to other areas.

Obtaining that harness link from Rimmer Bros. fixed the problem.

I am not sure whether that part is still procurable, as Rimmers has deleted most of the harness links from their page. Another reason why I would love to purchase a 75/ZT parts catalogue.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 13:13   #6
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Had a similar issue,the wiring for the o2 sensor, the one just in front of the cat, wrapped around
the drive shaft , ran fine without it connected as the ecu reverts to a default fuel map.
Went to replace the sensor with new one , car would start off fine but all of a sudden the engine became erratic, no acceleration etc.
Turned out that new sensor was faulty.
Was surprised how much the faulty sensor affected the car.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote