Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st May 2020, 22:10   #1
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default Before I take it apart...again

Released a stuck bonnet and replaced the AC condensor recently.
Put it all back - and no horn (it's an SE with two-tone horns)!
Had the bumper, slam panel assembly and fan cowling off. Can anyone think what's happened, everything else electrical seems to work OK. The horn terminal tags were a bit 'tight' in the slam panel voids, otherwise I didn't think I'd touched anything.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 22:39   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Released a stuck bonnet and replaced the AC condensor recently.
Put it all back - and no horn (it's an SE with two-tone horns)!
Had the bumper, slam panel assembly and fan cowling off. Can anyone think what's happened, everything else electrical seems to work OK. The horn terminal tags were a bit 'tight' in the slam panel voids, otherwise I didn't think I'd touched anything.

Hi john.
Yes when you removed the slam panel you unplugged a connector which resides just above the washer bottle, you have either not reconnected it or it as not been pushed home fully, bumper off again I am afraid but that will be your problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 809.jpg (110.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg SDC19133.jpg (113.1 KB, 64 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 31st May 2020 at 22:44..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 06:35   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Yup, also your bonnet open light doesn't work. And..... we have all done it

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 09:40   #4
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi john.
Yes when you removed the slam panel you unplugged a connector which resides just above the washer bottle, you have either not reconnected it or it as not been pushed home fully, bumper off again I am afraid but that will be your problem.
I re-connected the O/S plug first, felt sure I heard it 'click' home - now it's obvious that it didn't (my missus says I need a hearing aid, on this one she must be right...)!
I struggled with the similar plug on the N/S (did it yesterday, that definitely 'clicked' home) as I couldn't find anywhere on the chassis to locate the winged cable tie - discovered there isn't one because MGR used it for fastening the later version fan wires trunking so the N/S cable bundle is now conventionally cable tied to this; the winged cable tie is a special with just a tab for the plug body to slot into. As the O/S wing tie is damaged I've removed the redundent N/S item so I can fix it properly getting the horns back up and running - it's all great fun ain't it!
Old 8th June 2020, 20:50   #5
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I re-connected the O/S plug first, felt sure I heard it 'click' home - now it's obvious that it didn't (my missus says I need a hearing aid, on this one she must be right...)!
I struggled with the similar plug on the N/S (did it yesterday, that definitely 'clicked' home) as I couldn't find anywhere on the chassis to locate the winged cable tie - discovered there isn't one because MGR used it for fastening the later version fan wires trunking so the N/S cable bundle is now conventionally cable tied to this; the winged cable tie is a special with just a tab for the plug body to slot into. As the O/S wing tie is damaged I've removed the redundent N/S item so I can fix it properly getting the horns back up and running - it's all great fun ain't it!
Well I failed trying to 'fiddle' home the O/S plug so off came the bumper again. Took a good look at the plug and it appeared fully 'home' but regardless I parted it, gave each pin a blob of contact grease and pressed it all back together (solid 'click') - still no horn! Put 12V across each horn terminal and they both work fine. All the related wire runs are as they were before I started this caper so I'm still perplexed and hornless.
According to Haynes the horn shares F28 in the cabin fusebox with cruise control/steering wheel clock spring/LCM/OBD and clock - the clock's working fine.
Any other ideas please
Old 8th June 2020, 20:57   #6
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Are the horns switched in the positive side or the negative side I can't remember?

Might be worth checking that there is a feed to the horns, or they are earthed. If they were working before you took the bumper off then there is no reason to suspect they wouldn't work when you put it back on - could be a broken wire in the loom to the horns.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 10:20   #7
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
Are the horns switched in the positive side or the negative side I can't remember?

Might be worth checking that there is a feed to the horns, or they are earthed. If they were working before you took the bumper off then there is no reason to suspect they wouldn't work when you put it back on - could be a broken wire in the loom to the horns.
Yesterday I was still scratching my head over this one. This whole saga started with a stuck bonnet!! Like Topsy it grew so - whilst fitting the new AC condensor, O/S wheel arch liner and a whole pile of SS slam panel fasteners and a re-gas I removed both horns just to clean up the slam panel (and replace a horn loom tie wrap on the N/S) - nothing else was disturbed. On one horn the terminal fastenings were corroded so I gave them a light wire brush and covered them in Vasaline and when I refitted the horns I also Vasaline'd the spade terminals on both horns.
So last night I removed both horn assemblies, degreased/cleaned out the clench nut slam panel fasteners and both fixing screws with a brass wire brush. Gave the same treatment to the horn brackets in the areas where they contact the slam panel and refitted everything making sure that when tightened whatever touched the body had a nice film of contact grease; the N/S bracket has an anti-twist lug and the slam panel doesn't have a cut-out (like the O/S) so both insulated spade terminals come very close to the edge of that part of the slam panel - I tweaked the bracket outward about 1/8" inch to give things a bit more clearance.
Ignition 'on', nice loud two tone toot so my guess (and as you hinted) the horn backets are an earth return.
The daylight was going so after quickly/loosely refitting the bumper I found I was down to mono horn - I'll get back to it later today but at least now I know what's going on.
Old 10th June 2020, 10:44   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

If there are a pair of wires that go to the horns the casing would not be the earth . If it is a single wire then it could be.
Definitely looks like a break in the wiring though

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 12:52   #9
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
If there are a pair of wires that go to the horns the casing would not be the earth . If it is a single wire then it could be.
Definitely looks like a break in the wiring though
The other wire that comes from the horn is black so suggests that it is an earth wire but not sure where the earthing point actually is without tracing it - does it go to an earthing bolt?
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 13:28   #10
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
The other wire that comes from the horn is black so suggests that it is an earth wire but not sure where the earthing point actually is without tracing it - does it go to an earthing bolt?
As you know it's all a bit tight/invisible so I'll probably take the whole lot off (including the crumple bar/slam panel, might as well have a go at adjusting the wing/bumper shut line whilst I'm at it). Can't think where but perhaps I've crushed a wire or something similar..!