Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th April 2010, 15:22   #1
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

Default Router Recommendation

Further to my NAS setup, can anyone suggest a Router to work on O2 Broadband that has VPN capabilities. The router supplied from O2 seems pretty lax in this, and their support team don't want to know.

Something dead easy to setup with a static IP and VPN, reliable, and of course cheap Not really after second hand.

Many Thanks
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 15:47   #2
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

David,

If THIS fits the bill, you are welcome to it.

I've updated and this one is just gathering dust.

Have a look at the spec and see what you think.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 16:23   #3
The_Monk

-

Hi Paul,

I think I'm going down the wrong path... does a VPN need to be with two computers or just a network?

I want to access the NAS over a secure network so was told VPN would be best, however it looks like a PC on the network you're trying to access has to be on.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:38   #4
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Monk View Post
Hi Paul,

I think I'm going down the wrong path... does a VPN need to be with two computers or just a network?

I want to access the NAS over a secure network so was told VPN would be best, however it looks like a PC on the network you're trying to access has to be on.
I'll pass on that one David There are those on the forum eminently well qualified to answer specifics
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 20:42   #5
Departed
Retired

--

A couple of comments, though I won't pretend to be any kind of expert.

1. You don't have to get a fixed IP, and I suspect you have to pay for that anyway. You can use a service like dydns.com or noip.com. With the right kit (and some routers can do this) the service automatically forwards the domain to whatever IP you have that day. Only problem comes when you want to send mail from the dynamic IP address: spamhaus gets snotty and most recipients reject it, so you have to remain with a normal mail service to send.

2. You can get NAS servers that have web presence, but can require login for aceesing certain things. I don't know if they will do what you want, but you could look at a synology DSxxx for example the 209. These have webspace, photo server, FTP (if you can work out how it works) and shared storage with user rights. As I say, don't know if it will give you what you are after, but if it does may save a heap of grief. These also support dynamic DNS services like dydns, so you can take out a domain, even with a dynamic IP. You've already visited my web page, hosted in just this way on a couple of SaTa drives in the office upstairs.

Worth a look, if you weren't aware of this.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 20:47   #6
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Monk View Post
Hi Paul,

Not sure, but think you need a proper server with VPN application to make it work. We can connect to our work network using VPN but it requires something at the other end to log into and secure the connection. I doubt a NAS box would support this out of the box.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 21:18   #7
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

You need a router and a computer (not necessarily a server) on each end of a VPN tunnel. Unless your NAS is capable of acting as a server. You still need a router each end.

As above, you may well be better off with space on a hosting service to up and download data. This can be accessed by anybody you give ftp access to and different folders can be locked down to keep them private.

I use Mac.com, 20Gigs space. I also have unlimited space on a server rented by a friend on which he hosts several domains.

For absolute ease of use Mac.com is great, if a little expensive £59.00 per annum, you also get multiple email accounts, picture gallery, you cannot host other domains on it though. Windows users access is via browser or Idisk utility.

http://www.apple.com/uk/mobileme/features/pc.html

Maybe worth taking a butchers, 60 day free trial.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 6th April 2010 at 21:22..
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 09:54   #8
The_Monk

-

Cheers for the replies guys. The NAS box has an FTP service which I've turned on and can access with a username and password. I was not sure how secure it would be and was advised to either only allow specific IP's through (which I can't because of having a dynamic IP at home) or try VPN, which after research, and confirm by GG is no good for me.

I'm only paranoid as it is work stuff and one-off photos, which are backed-up but I don't want people getting hold of them, or deleting them for the fun.

I have the FTP and Passive FTP ports open on the Firewall, and some mahoosive alphanumneric passwords (20+ characters), so am I safe? I think I have a secure FTP option as well, but that wont stop people getting in. Thats all I'm concerned about.