Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th February 2017, 10:18   #131
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Pete, the lower seal pictured is a scroll seal you can fell the ribs on the upper flat surface, and simply needs to be placed centrally on the landing of the pinion aperture when you pull the subframe up to the body

The large grommet I was referring to is the upper pinion seal under the carpet which hopefully won't have been displaced during the job.

If it has, it is simply a question of pulling back the carpet in the footwell and stretching it back over the raised lip in the floorpan

Quote:
It's easier to describe in pictures, however I didn't take any shots when I was doing that part of the job

Brian
HI Brian & Pete.
Hope fully these photo's will help with the description to which you are referring too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunroof 1.jpg (39.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Sunroof 2.jpg (30.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Sunroof 3.jpg (34.0 KB, 45 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 11:50   #132
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Thanks Steve and Brian

I have just had a look and the large rubber grommet below the pedals has come away on one side, so will need pushing back in once the rack is bolted back up.

I managed to get up to Lincoln late yesterday afternoon to pick up the new subframe. It needs a good clean up- it has obviously sat on the shelf for a while. I might get round to some cleaning/painting later today, if I can tolerate the cold !

Cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 16:47   #133
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Default What to do with your empty greenhouse in winter

..use it as a paint booth for painting up car parts. With the outside temperature at 4 degrees, and the garage hardly any warmer, the greenhouse was a good place to paint up the new subframe and front suspension parts today. All parts were cleaned, rubbed down with wet and dry or a Scotchbrite pad to provide a key for the paint, then wiped with a clean cloth soaked in methylated spirit as final clean up. A coat of black Smoothrite was then applied with the greenhouse heater on low to keep the temperature above the 10 degrees stated on the tin as the minimum for applying Hammerite products. I'll leave some heat on overnight to help the paint dry properly in these cold conditions. I painted the top of the subframe - I might turn it over and paint the underneath tomorrow, or leave it until the frame is fitted to the car (as suggested by Brian).

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paint 02.17 001.jpg (133.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Paint 02.17 002.jpg (132.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Paint 02.17 003.jpg (129.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 8th February 2017, 20:12   #134
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
..use it as a paint booth for painting up car parts. With the outside temperature at 4 degrees, and the garage hardly any warmer, the greenhouse was a good place to paint up the new subframe and front suspension parts today. All parts were cleaned, rubbed down with wet and dry or a Scotchbrite pad to provide a key for the paint, then wiped with a clean cloth soaked in methylated spirit as final clean up. A coat of black Smoothrite was then applied with the greenhouse heater on low to keep the temperature above the 10 degrees stated on the tin as the minimum for applying Hammerite products. I'll leave some heat on overnight to help the paint dry properly in these cold conditions. I painted the top of the subframe - I might turn it over and paint the underneath tomorrow, or leave it until the frame is fitted to the car (as suggested by Brian).

Pete
Pete, are you using the smoothrite for any particular reason? Could I use the patterned hammerite? ( of which I have a 5l tin )
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 20:19   #135
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post
Pete, are you using the smoothrite for any particular reason? Could I use the patterned hammerite? ( of which I have a 5l tin )
Smoothrite just looks better on suspension parts I think, and gives a smooth glossy finish if applied carefully. The patterned 'bumpy' hammerite should give the same protection, I guess, and if it is going where it will not be seen it is not really a problem. It is personal preference, I guess, but most folks choose the smooth finish for car restoration. A product called POR-15 also has a good reputation for finishing chassis/suspension parts in car restoration circles, but is not as readily available as the Hammerite products.

Pete
Old 10th February 2017, 10:01   #136
scorpio
Loves to post

75 Tourer zircon silver

Quote:
Smoothrite just looks better on suspension parts I think, and gives a smooth glossy finish if applied carefully. The patterned 'bumpy' hammerite should give the same protection, I guess, and if it is going where it will not be seen it is not really a problem. It is personal preference, I guess, but most folks choose the smooth finish for car restoration. A product called POR-15 also has a good reputation for finishing chassis/suspension parts in car restoration circles, but is not as readily available as the Hammerite products.

Pete
Have a look at a company called buzzweld, they do a chassis paint that is really long lasting. Its raved about on Land Rover forums and you know what stick they get

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur CDT Auto
Zircon Silver
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 10:09   #137
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Have a look at a company called buzzweld, they do a chassis paint that is really long lasting. Its raved about on Land Rover forums and you know what stick they get

Hi Peter.
Good call quite a few members use it on our Land Rover forums

http://www.buzzweld.co.uk/

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 10:20   #138
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Peter.
Good call quite a few members use it on our Land Rover forums

http://www.buzzweld.co.uk/
Thanks Steve and Scorpio

The subframe is all painted up with Smoothrite now - perhaps not the best you can get, but should give some extra protection over the factory paint. I'll be doing my MGB front suspension later this year, so might look at Buzzweld or POR-15 then. When I picked up the subframe from Rimmers, the guy on the counter said a product called Raptor was good for chassis parts, and I think this is made by Buzzweld.

I was planning to go for the final fit-up of the subframe and other bits and pieces later today, except for the fact it is snowing outside here at the moment !

Pete
Old 10th February 2017, 15:26   #139
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Default I must be mad !

Decided to start fitting up the subframe after finishing work at 3.00 pm this afternoon - skies seemed to be brightening up. I manoeuvred the newly painted subframe out of the greenhouse to the patio to fit up the lower arms (complete with new genuine beefy Rover bushes supplied by Jules). Within 10 minutes, full blizzard conditions prevailed, but I was not to be outdone - armed with ice axe and crampons, and having taken on a team of sherpas, we pressed on to upper base camp - well, I got the lower arms and anti-roll bar (with new bushes) fitted anyway. All bolts tightened with the torque wrench to the correct book settings. The subframe is now thawing out in the garage in front of the car, ready for the final push tomorrow - refitting subframe and final 'fixing up'.

Off for a cup of tea now.

Cheers

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Subframe 02.17 001.jpg (137.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Subframe 02.17 003.jpg (130.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 10th February 2017, 15:29   #140
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:

Off for a cup of tea now.

Cheers

Pete
Don't forget the Kendal Mint cake! Keep up the good work.