Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th July 2017, 13:20   #21
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertens34 View Post
Rim seems fine (apart from scratches) but:
-The rear upper suspension arm is bent
-The rear shock absorber is bent.
-Rear lower suspension arm is possibly bent.
-Tire is punctured
-Bumper (can be resprayed for 200 euros).
-Passenger seat is ripped by the airbag.

The problem with my insurance is that they will only pay for the damage on the other car (if im held responsible).
However all this isnt even my fault..... im so frustrated right now. Thats why im trying to find a way to prove that she was at fault.
Oh shame, worse than it looks then..those ford KA's pack a punch for sure.

Hope you can get some result from it all..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 17:06   #22
scorpio
Loves to post

75 Tourer zircon silver

http://www.crashforum.info/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=151

have a look there

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur CDT Auto
Zircon Silver
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 18:14   #23
good_mojo
Loves to post

Facelift Rover 75 Classic CDT auto and Connoisseur SE 1.8T

Frontal air bags are generally designed to deploy in "moderate to severe" frontal or near-frontal crashes, which are defined as crashes that are equivalent to hitting a solid, fixed barrier at 8 to 14 mph or higher. (This would be equivalent to striking a parked car of similar size at about 16 to 28 mph or higher.)

As it was a car on car incident, we can ignore the 'solid, fixed barrier' speeds. As you were both moving, the text above indicates the speed differential between you must have been 16 to 28 mph.

If I remember my physics correctly. (It has been a while...) The Ka is a much smaller, lighter vehicle than the 75/ZT, so it may have been going faster (i.e. more momentum or mass multiplied by velocity) to have deployed the airbags in your car. The Ka's airbags would have deployed at a lower speed than yours as your car is heavier and would appear to it to be a more 'solid' object.
good_mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 23:54   #24
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
If she drove into the back of your car, it must have been her fault!
Quite, but from the damage, and the fact that the side air bag deployed, it looks as though she hit the rear side of the OP's car, and not the back as shown in the diagram.

If she wasn't there when he pulled out then she must have been travelling too fast, but without any witnesses or CCTV footage it will be impossible to prove.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 09:45   #25
Mertens34
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 v6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Thank you!
Quote:

Frontal air bags are generally designed to deploy in "moderate to severe" frontal or near-frontal crashes, which are defined as crashes that are equivalent to hitting a solid, fixed barrier at 8 to 14 mph or higher. (This would be equivalent to striking a parked car of similar size at about 16 to 28 mph or higher.)

As it was a car on car incident, we can ignore the 'solid, fixed barrier' speeds. As you were both moving, the text above indicates the speed differential between you must have been 16 to 28 mph.

If I remember my physics correctly. (It has been a while...) The Ka is a much smaller, lighter vehicle than the 75/ZT, so it may have been going faster (i.e. more momentum or mass multiplied by velocity) to have deployed the airbags in your car. The Ka's airbags would have deployed at a lower speed than yours as your car is heavier and would appear to it to be a more 'solid' object.
Thank you!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
If she drove into the back of your car, it must have been her fault!
Quite, but from the damage, and the fact that the side air bag deployed, it looks as though she hit the rear side of the OP's car, and not the back as shown in the diagram.

If she wasn't there when he pulled out then she must have been travelling too fast, but without any witnesses or CCTV footage it will be impossible to prove.
She hit me on the right side of my rear bumper. She did come from the back.
No witnesses and no CCTV footage

So only way to prove that she was responsible is by proving that she was going faster than the speed limit (15km/h)

Which explains:
-My passenger side airbag deploying (while i was already driving forward with 15km/h)
-The fact that my rear rim is bent all the way in.

Last edited by Mertens34; 12th July 2017 at 12:43..
Mertens34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 12:17   #26
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
She hit me on the right side of my rear bumper. She did come from the back.
Not witnesses and not CCTV footage

So only way to prove that she was responsible is by proving that she was going faster than the speed limit (15km/h)

Which explains:
-My passenger side airbag deploying (while i was already driving forward with 15km/h)
-The fact that my rear rim is bent all the way in.
Quote:

Well you were there and I wasn't, but the damage to your suspension and wheel with no major damage to the rear of the vehicle, and the fact that the side airbag deployed all point to your being hit at an angle from the side at the rear of the car with the wheel taking the full force of the impact.

I'm no expert, although I raced bangers for years so have had my fair share of shunts from all angles, but if you were to rotate the red arrow at the rear clockwise by 45 odd degrees, that is where I'd have expected the direction of impact to have come from.

My apologies if I have missed any rear end damage - do post a picture of the rear of your car, and I wish you good luck with your claim.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 12th July 2017 at 12:30..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 12:42   #27
Mertens34
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 v6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Well you were there and I wasn't, but the damage to your suspension and wheel with no major damage to the rear of the vehicle, and the fact that the side airbag deployed all point to your being hit at an angle from the side at the rear of the car with the wheel taking the full force of the impact.

I'm no expert, although I raced bangers for years so have had my fair share of shunts from all angles, but if you were to rotate the red arrow at the rear clockwise by 45 odd degrees, that is where I'd have expected the direction of impact to have come from.

My apologies if I have missed any rear end damage - do post a picture of the rear of your car, and I wish you good luck with your claim.
No, you re 100% correct sir. Esspecially about the wheel taking the full force of the impact part.

I have also sent this picture to the insurance company.

Which basically explains where she hit me first and how she ended up hitting my rim with full force.

Last edited by Mertens34; 12th July 2017 at 12:46..
Mertens34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 09:25   #28
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Martens34,

The above picture shows the damage to the bumper on your car, from your pic the damage looks high on the bumper so I made a couple of pics for you as I have a Ford Ka which I'm using to teach my kids to drive in.

Pic shows the measurements of the Ford Ka front bumper from ground level is 490 mm before it curves back towards the bonnet. I'm no expert but it would appear reasonable to say there should be no damage inflicted by the Fords bumper above 500 mm.

This pic shows my Tour back bumper measured from the ground up:-

As you can see from my Tour the height from ground level is 640 mm, your damage is higher again IMO than the Ford Ka could have done..

Last edited by rustymotor; 14th July 2017 at 09:30..
Old 14th July 2017, 10:50   #29
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
As you can see from my Tour the height from ground level is 640 mm, your damage is higher again IMO than the Ford Ka could have done..
What even if the road was on an incline making the rover lower and the ka higher?

Basic physics disproves your conclusion unless and until you visit the scene of the accident and take scene specific measurements,.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 11:03   #30
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
What even if the road was on an incline making the rover lower and the ka higher?

Basic physics disproves your conclusion unless and until you visit the scene of the accident and take scene specific measurements,.
What I'm saying is the damage on the Rover is higher than the bumper on Ford Ka..unless it was flying through the air..