Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th March 2017, 17:59   #1
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Default 70's - Banger Boys

Let's not argue that the average age of members on here is a little higher than for some other marque's. So many of us will remember the pre- H&S days of breaker's yards and the Grim Reaper of most Cambridge's and Oxford's - the banger boy.

This sentimental film, in my opinion, has an evocative charm...

https://youtu.be/spIjeuoL8rY?list=PL...rvU9ZuxAiVKaKO
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 20:12   #2
Luckygrandads75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Great nite out.Watching the old jags,Granadas ,S D1's at Wimbledon in the early 90's figure of eights ,V8s saloon racing and occasional ministocks,and destruction derby.Thanks for reminder must visit again soon.
Luckygrandads75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 21:44   #3
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Nice little film ... took me back a few years and got me thinking..
I'm pretty sure that my first ever banger race was 1972/3ish in a field at the rear of the Marsham Arms pub at Hevingham Norfolk the car of choice was a 1960s Humber Hawk estate and was modified for racing by taking the seats, glass, and lights out the fuel tank was also removed and replaced with a BSA motorcycle tank that was tied on to the back seat fixing points using some fencing wire.
Strange thing how the mind works as you get older.. I'd not thought about that for probably 20 or so years and that little clip brought it all back.
Cheers Ian
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 13:18   #4
scorpio
Loves to post

75 Tourer zircon silver

when I think f the cars we destroyed back then in the name of fun, Mk1 Granadas, Cortinas, Zephyrs and probably the best SD1, I even remeber using a Wolsey 1800 They would be worth a fortune now a days.

H&S would have a heart attack now, radiator behind drivers head, Fuel tank in the boot (either motorbike tank or a fire extinguisher) and the scaffolding roll cage/

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur CDT Auto
Zircon Silver
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 15:14   #5
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

I know that this something that some people on here follow, and some have/do participate, but I cannot see the point in smashing cars up like this.

Restorable classic cars have been, and are still being, destroyed.

Humber estate cars , how many left?
Mk 1 Granadas, what a cool classic car to own now.....oh, none left.

Sacrilege
Old 6th March 2017, 17:36   #6
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
when I think f the cars we destroyed back then in the name of fun, Mk1 Granadas, Cortinas, Zephyrs and probably the best SD1, I even remeber using a Wolsey 1800 They would be worth a fortune now a days.

H&S would have a heart attack now, radiator behind drivers head, Fuel tank in the boot (either motorbike tank or a fire extinguisher) and the scaffolding roll cage/
If you liked your Granada's, brace yourself to see this video from the Areana, Essex - All Mk1 & Mk2 Granada's. Look out for a couple of 2-door Ghia coupes plus the usual hearse's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lr21L_X_w0

Amazing that in 2013 they could find 30 or so Grannie's that they could get running...and keep running.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 18:40   #7
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

My goodness a kid @ scrap yard its so not health and safety
I was about 5 years old and loved it when my dad was taking me with him to scrappys
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 18:51   #8
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Not me..

I've always hated them, some of them do it because they know it winds people up. Nobody ever minded a rustbucket going on the track, but many of them were saveable classics.
I had one knock on my door showing an interest in a Cortina MK5 I had at the back of the house. I said " I don't deal with banger racers" His reply was " What makes you think I'm a Banger racer" When I pointed out that he'd got a club shirt on that was a Banger club he said " 5h1t" and walked away. It was about five years ago that 200 Cortina's were destroyed in one meet, many of them were stolen cherished ones, the rules have changed now and proof of Identity is stricter.
It's not my scene and many great cars have been destroyed by this `sport`
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 22:16   #9
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Many A55/A60 Farina's met their end in banger racing back then, could hardly believe how much punishment most of these cars took and still kept going.
Old 6th March 2017, 23:03   #10
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bone View Post
I know that this something that some people on here follow, and some have/do participate, but I cannot see the point in smashing cars up like this.

Restorable classic cars have been, and are still being, destroyed.

Humber estate cars , how many left?
Mk 1 Granadas, what a cool classic car to own now.....oh, none left.

Sacrilege
Thing is at the time very few people saw them as a classic or even a future classic they were just old cars at or near the end of their life, which is much the same way many people view Rover 75s and MG ZTs now, do I regret wrecking all those cars? No because if I didn't race them they would have gone straight to the crusher, almost without fail the cars came to me FOC and I often gave parts that I removed to people for nothing. As for saving classics well I did ask someone once about a yard full of early Rovers and A60s of various makes and was told "no I'm saving them" only to watch them slowly turn to dust over many years of driving past without one being saved..
Oh and I did have a rare Hustler 6 kit car for restoration that I offered to the members on this forum free of charge but no one wanted it.

Quote Amazing that in 2013 they could find 30 or so Grannie's that they could get running

Many of the scrap yards and banger drivers used to (and probably still do) put cars that are suitable for banger racing into storage when they are taken into the yard for crushing, a guy that I knew bought every Farina/ Granada that he could when they were going for scrap and even now his son will race one every now and then.

Cheers Ian
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote