Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th February 2020, 19:49   #1
Sandra Anne

Rover 75 connoisseur

Default Omg!!

Well I am at wits end right now.Rosie Rover won't start. She was fine until a few days ago and in desperation we called a mobile mechanic who spent 2 hours and coast £150 to no avail.He THINKS it might be the fuel pump ? Also said one of the cylinders is down whatever that means! Rosie is old like me 2003 1.8i automatic.She had new head gasket last year and was running fine.Himself sprayed easy start and she ran for a few seconds then died. Any and All suggestions welcome. Please be aware that it needs to be simple and easy to understand as myself and Himself are not techno savvy.
Sandra Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 19:51   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Fuel filter separation springs to mind, wish you had posted earlier I was in your area at the weekend!

Have a look at this:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=9108

Last edited by trikey; 25th February 2020 at 19:53..
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 10:25   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Yes, I agree. From your evidence, this is classic Fuel Filter Syndrome.

Apart from getting at the filter as described in trikey's link, you'll need an 'FOC' (Fabled Orange Clip) to lock the filter together so it won't separate again. This requirement was covered by an MGR recommendation for all post-2001 petrol models to get the fix.
See this link for the details and HowTo: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dwu9ob...%2529.pdf/file

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 10:40   #4
Sandra Anne

Rover 75 connoisseur

Default Omg

Many thanks for all the info! However I think it is time to say goodbye to Rosie as Himself is in his late 70s and not up to the job plus we don't know where it will end.I have mobility issues too and our funds are low.What is the best way of listing Rosie as scrap or spares and repairs. She has 84000 on her clock and 4 tyres that have only done about 20 miles.She is a 53 plate Connoisseur Automatic 1.8i .She had her head gasket replaced last year and has only done few miles since her MOT has months left.I can't put Himself to any more expense and I have loved having Rosie to drive as she is so pretty and her body is in good order. Many thanks again for the very helpful information xx
Old 26th February 2020, 11:28   #5
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

With the information on here fitting the clip is easy, reckon my grandson could manage it, if I switch off the Internet fibre connection first

So you've spent money on a headgasket repair, four very new tyres and the car is in otherwise good condition and you're not willing to spend £8 on the part on a chance to get it working?

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 14:20   #6
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Apart from getting at the filter as described in trikey's link, you'll need an 'FOC' (Fabled Orange Clip) to lock the filter together so it won't separate again.
Has anyone got any orange clips left though TC? Arctic had a couple in November but they both appear to be sold now (link) and Jack had five of the 'White Clip' version (link) but they're all sold now too. I've asked Jack if he's getting any more. I'll buy one if he is.

PS. Here's Rimmers' easy link to the orange clip pdf (TBX0501) - https://rimmerbros.com/ItemFiles/Man...ter%20clip.pdf

Sandra Anne - have you checked to see if there are any members in/near Spalding who can help you? It would be a shame to get rid of Rosie for such a small problem.

Last edited by Blink; 26th February 2020 at 14:24..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 14:45   #7
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

If you're quick ...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WJC000230...wAAOSw9eVXUJ1d

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 14:55   #8
Sandra Anne

Rover 75 connoisseur

Default Omg

I have ordered the clip from EBay and as highlighted and will see if my son can have a go at fixing Rosie for me xxxxThanks again for all your help.
Old 26th February 2020, 15:30   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

If you are unsure, I can possibly pop over on Saturday as I’ll be in Kings Lynn!
Old 26th February 2020, 15:41   #10
Sandra Anne

Rover 75 connoisseur

Default Omg

Trikey what a splendid person you are offering to help us I have ordered the clip as suggested from EBay but not sure if it will arrive for Saturday. We are feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment as our Jeep is at the garage for investigation for staring issues too. Himself is not capable these days so we have to pay for everything to be done.Our son is very good but has very limited time to spare.