Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th February 2020, 19:02   #11
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

As per last post there is a second spring much weaker than the one shown, this is the spring that will have failed
Trust me on this, I have actually had to do the damn job

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2020, 09:42   #12
peterh

Rover 75 Tourer

Ah now I understand a bit better - a second (invisible) spring!

Many thanks indeed for your suggestions gentlemen.
I'd love to replace that apparently broken or missing spring once I locate where it fits as you did Stocktake, but given the effort you went through to get the old safety catch out (not to mention the effect on your wife ;o) - and the fact that I don't have a replacement spring available, it may have to be Scott & David's "bolt through the grille" solution after all.
Removing the safety catch sounds so easy in the Haynes manual - attach a bit of string, undo the 2 bolts & lower it to below the bumper...! Doesn't say how tricky it is to get back though...Hmmm!
My concern with the 'bolt' method is the possible potential for that loose lifting lever to bounce up & down/rattle/vibrate when travelling along at any speed - I've already got a high-pitched "buzz" which comes into play at about 65mph+ which neither I (nor my garage) can locate and I'd like to avoid adding further noises.
I suppose I can always try that method first and see how it goes.
Anyway whatever...thank you very much indeed for your ideas and explanations, which are hugely appreciated.
My best wishes to one and all,
Peter

Last edited by peterh; 8th February 2020 at 09:47..
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2020, 09:52   #13
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

If it is any help I could stick my ign key blade through the grill and "hook" the lever out and then operate it to open the bonnet I only repaired it as the MOT man threatened to fail my car on it's test if he couldn't open the bonnet

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 10:05   #14
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Default This must be catching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
While the main bonnet catch on the driver's door pillar functions perfectly, it should release a plastic lever which swings out through the grille to make it easy to release the safety catch with a gentle pull. Unfortunately this has stopped happening, so while it's possible to release the bonnet by pushing on the safety catch with a screwdriver, it would be nice to have it working properly.
I've removed the grille and the plastic lever is in place, and can be moved to the correct position, but when I let go it just swings into to a vertically 'down' position. It could be that there should be a spring somewhere which has broken or fallen off but I can't see it - and don't know what I'm looking for!
On this occasion my trusty Haynes manual offers no help and doesn't mention the lever (though it's pictured in place coming horizontally through the grille as it should be when working, in the section on removing the safety catch completely).
Please can anyone offer any advice about what I need to do about this?
With many thanks in advance.
PH
P.S. If there should be a spring attached to the lever, please does anyone have a picture or drawing of what it looks like and how it fits - and any thoughts on sources? Thanks again!
(2002 Rover CDT Club SE)
Mine has just gone there's got to be an easier way of fixing this annoying problem. I'm certainly not taking the number off for that, I always struggle to get the bumper back on

Martyn
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 10:48   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squire View Post
Mine has just gone there's got to be an easier way of fixing this annoying problem. I'm certainly not taking the number off for that, I always struggle to get the bumper back on

Martyn
Martyn.
Get one from a later model and change it out at the Nano, the later ones you just use your fingers between the bonnet and the slam panel, I also think you can do the same with the earlier ones as above albeit a bit fiddly.

Scott's idea looks good, you could even glue a piece if foam between the two points so the arm does not fall inwards.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 14th February 2020 at 10:50..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 14:04   #16
squire
Posted a thing or two

Smile Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Martyn.
Get one from a later model and change it out at the Nano, the later ones you just use your fingers between the bonnet and the slam panel, I also think you can do the same with the earlier ones as above albeit a bit fiddly.

Scott's idea looks good, you could even glue a piece if foam between the two points so the arm does not fall inwards.
Just spent a couple of hours this morning replacing the spring and had success. A fiddly job but I managed it with just the grille off, the hardest part is getting seeing where it hooks on, as most, like mine will be covered in road grime and grease. The spring is quite short and is the other side of the safety claw, it is also easily lost on the undertray. To be honest it took longer making a spring and getting it to the correct length, it's not a strong spring and as said not very big, I was lucky I'd got some springs to work with.

Martyn
Old 14th February 2020, 17:38   #17
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Looking forward to the how to Martyn hope you took plenty of pics
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 18:02   #18
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

When I fitted my stainless mess grille I replaced the “pop through the grille” release with the MG one.
At the same time I refurbished the safety catch along with the two bonnet catches so they would never give any trouble again.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 21:42   #19
squire
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerman View Post
Looking forward to the how to Martyn hope you took plenty of pics
Not the kind of job you can put a "how to" to I'm afraid Scott let alone take pictures of. Once you can see where the spring goes it's very much work it out as you go, there's probably two springs lying on my undertray! Lol.