Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2020, 20:54   #41
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Don’t drill holes!! Dry it out properly and find the source of the leak.

There were no holes drilled at the factory!!
I have to report that my 2004 ZT V8 does have a factory drilled drain hole with a fitted rubber boot hidden under the battery tray. Made me laugh. I think they were starting to realise they had a problem! I've been the owner since new, so it must have been fitted at the factory. This explained why I didn't have a battery submerged in a swimming pool when my sunroof drains failed. The mats were sodden though and there was mould under the boot carpets. The interior was always hard to clear from fogging on the windows.
Like many here I struggled with water leak problems which nearly resulted in me selling the car. This forum totally saved my a*s. The major leak was the sunroof drains, but there was still too much water in the boot. I attacked everything anyone mentioned anywhere and each fix improved things bit by bit. The last thing I got around to was the rear clips. I bought all eight from Rimmers and then shock horror found I couldn't fit them without taking out the rear screen. Or so I thought. You can fit new clips, but you have to fettle them very carefully so they're as short as possible. My old ones got destroyed on removal but the rear screen bonding layer was thick enough to allow me to get away with slipping and carefully squeezing the clips under the glass and seating them fully in the cut outs. I also silicone sealed all the new foam seals on the clips since it's the degrading foam that eventually starts leaking. However, there was still some water ingress despite me buying a new boot seal as well. So in desperation, after much UV light tracing (and cussing), I silicone sealed the entire new boot seal. If a brand new boot seal on a pristine metal fitting surface still leaked, many of the new cars must have immediately leaked via their brand new boot seals. Since I silicone sealed the entire new boot seal fitting surface, mine has remained totally dry. Keep at it and you'll find everything. Mine doesn't need the factory fitted drain anymore fortunately, but it's presence speaks volumes. Good luck.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2020, 16:21   #42
AdmiralWalrus

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks a lot guys!

I will say to you if I solved anything. I hope!
AdmiralWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote