Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd November 2021, 23:07   #1
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Default To DMF or not to DMF on a M47R engine.

In another thread I stated that a DMF was not an essential part of the overall drive train in the M47R engine. I also stated that a solid flywheel was a suitable replacement.

If I understand the comments of my statements on this correctly. The reasoning for fitting a DMF flywheel is to protect the drive train.

When talking about the drivetrain are we referring to the big end bearings and crankshaft?
Are we talking about the shafts and bearings and gear train within the gear box?
Are we talking about the differential inner pod joints and external CV joints including the splines the torque is being sent through.

Remembering that the M47R engine has a BHP range of between 112 and 176. Making it the perfect candidate for a Front wheel drive motor car.

It is generally accepted that the maximum BHP where the advantages of front wheel drive begins to wane is somewhere between 180 and 190. Cars developing more than 190 BHP tend to handle better when the drive is through the rear wheels..

A Flywheel is a balanced disk of metal to ensure the smooth and constant rotational motion of a shaft that is being rotated by a series of impact forces.

A solid flywheel is a lump of metal bolted on to the end of the crank shaft the mass of the unit is measured Kg or grams and has a fixed external diameter thus creates a balanced and more constant rotational motion.

A dual mass flywheel is a fixed mass of material which is not mounted on a solid centre mount. The mount has a degree of flexibility. This flexibility allows the flywheel to smooth out the constant banging of the con rods on the crankshaft. This flexible mount also allows the outside diameter of the fly wheel to increase slightly as centrifugal forces increase.

With the above I think I have started the thread requested.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote