Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st December 2017, 21:59   #101
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Nissan NV300 Tekna 170 auto

I sold my 75 around a year and a half ago, I felt it was a fully loaded classy car however with it being a project drive car the build quality internally was in a word "NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD". Since then I purchased a Signum elite, again a nice car with all the toys but maybe not a classy inside as a 75 although slightly better built...the money I have thrown at the Signum's engine / gearbox and other bits to get it to a level that I was happy with is shocking and I am still not happy with it hence why its getting sold one year after purchase for something with cheap running costs and cheap tax, on the other hand the engine and gear box on the 75 seemed bullet proof and apart from servicing there was zero spent on the engine and gearbox, I stopped yesterday to look at a 75 contemp se cdti auto for sale in Broxburn, when I looked inside I thought wow! Granted there was no c/c, h/k or powerfolds but still very nice, I had all that in mines along side that lovely black oak (until I ripped it out for a real wood dash) Perhaps I should have stuck with the devil I knew at the time...

astreus will be along just now to say "I told you so" lol

Last edited by mcd840; 21st December 2017 at 22:31..
mcd840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 23:12   #102
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
Looking at all the various posts and my recent purchase of an 06 Rover 75 CDTi, it seems to me that the Rover 75 at over 10 years old has become a very different car.

The seller of my car was genuine but he did not know the problems he was passing on.

As a start the Rover 75 at over ten years old cannot cope well with rain water (when wet or when frozen). These cars after 10 years old will start to leak around the bulkhead, sunroof, boot and locks. That not only turns the cabin of the car into a paddling pool but plays havoc with the electrics and locking.

We have one of the most sound engine and gearboxes on the Rover 75 but the problems that are now emerging are more awkward to fix than a worn out engine or gearbox (where most back street garages can throw in a s/h unit to an average older car quite cheaply)

I have an enormous job to not only strip out the drenched main carpet in winter, but also be accurate and certain about both the present leaks (there are at least six leaks) and other weak points for potential future rain water leaks before I put the carpets back in.

But from postings on forums there are very many potential rain water leaks (and in addition freezing rain issues) on a Rover 75 that require a proactive approach.

If we look at the postings on forums it is obvious that unless we get a better understanding and be clearer about what is happening to the decade plus old Rover 75 it will no longer be viable for most people.

Happy Christmas

I am surprised that a wet carpet and sticky locks make you feel the car is bad. Over the passed fifty fears I don’t think I have ever had a totally dry older car regardless of make and there have been many.
If the 75 has a sun roof then that is most likely the problem their drains have a habit of leaking. An easy fix.
Saloons have a habit of leaking around their rear light clusters a new gasket is usually a cure, if that doesn’t cure the light leek then make a gasket out of dumdum putty and use it in conjunction with your new gasket this will guarantee a water tight seal.
Locks are dead easy to maintain a couple of squirts of Cabba lock cleaner twice a year on each lock and they will stay operating properly for decades. Yes I know it is a little tin and quite expensive but it is the best. ( used to use it on locker locks in a swimming pool, very aggressive atmosphere and the locks had 30 sprung pins in a 26mm barrel on four planes. Much more than a car lock.)
As to drying out your swimming pool drill some 7mm holes in the floor at the rear of rear foot wells park car on a incline with the rear low and your swimming pool will disappear overnight. Yes through the carpet and floor pan. Then a fan heater in the foot well over night one night each floor well takes 4 nights your carpet will be nice and dry then spray over the bottom of the holes with cavity wax. Just make sure you cure the water penetration before using the heater to dry out the carpet.
Always remember all older cars require preventative maintenance to keep them in tip top condition. I can assure you that your 75 with regular care at the age of 20 is dryer inside than a ten year old Bentley or Aston.
Also don’t forget when it is snowing the amount of water brought into the car on the drivers and passengers feet is not insignificant.
Since I bought my launch car just over 20 years ago now there has always been at least one 75 in the family. At one point there were five in daily use. Thankfully three of them have fled the nest now. There is just the two now one tourer and one saloon, I have no plans to replace either of them in the next ten years by which time I don’t expect to still be driving if I am lucky enough to still be hear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 04:59   #103
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

The Kaba lock cleaner is a good tip alanaslan.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:19   #104
Stu67
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I’ve been very happy with my v6 Rover. As a serial old barge buyer it has lasted well in excess of the 6 months I had intended to keep it, in fact by some 3 years!
OK it’s fairly low mileage at 62k and I look after it, but it’s been great

I must admit I’ve been thinking of moving it on, nothing to do with the car but more to do with the London emissions tax. I’m rare in that I do occasionally use it for work and I’m in and out of the city. Due to Mayor Kahn ever tightening taxation I need to look at something 2006 or newer.

BUT do you think I can find anything that offers the same type of luxury as the Rover Connie SE at anywhere near the cost, absolutely not. The car has been reliable, comfortable and great value. I realistically think I would have to pay 5-6k for something 2006 onwards from someone like Lexus to replace it, so it lives on with me for a while!
Stu67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:22   #105
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Would it not be cheaper to hire for the day when you really do need to drive into "the smoke"?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:41   #106
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd840 View Post
I sold my 75 around a year and a half ago, I felt it was a fully loaded classy car however with it being a project drive car the build quality internally was in a word "NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD". Since then I purchased a Signum elite, again a nice car with all the toys but maybe not a classy inside as a 75 although slightly better built...the money I have thrown at the Signum's engine / gearbox and other bits to get it to a level that I was happy with is shocking and I am still not happy with it hence why its getting sold one year after purchase for something with cheap running costs and cheap tax, on the other hand the engine and gear box on the 75 seemed bullet proof and apart from servicing there was zero spent on the engine and gearbox, I stopped yesterday to look at a 75 contemp se cdti auto for sale in Broxburn, when I looked inside I thought wow! Granted there was no c/c, h/k or powerfolds but still very nice, I had all that in mines along side that lovely black oak (until I ripped it out for a real wood dash) Perhaps I should have stuck with the devil I knew at the time...

astreus will be along just now to say "I told you so" lol

Aha

Broxburn my old hunting ground, having lived in Uphall for several years, don't hear it mentioned in passing very often.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 15:24   #107
Stu67
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Would it not be cheaper to hire for the day when you really do need to drive into "the smoke"?
Not really, at the moment it’s an extra £12 but only operates when the congestion charge is in force mon to fri. From later next year it becomes 24/7. It will see a lot of older cars off the road in Greater London (they are even thinking of extending out to North and South circulars). I will say however I can’t moan as someone who also cycles into town during the warmer months the air quality does need sorting to a degree.
Stu67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 16:09   #108
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Cheltenham is hardly London but I would ban all cars from both places. I’m not trying to save the planet, long live the internal combustion engine but if towns and cities are going to attract people back to them they must pedestrianise as much as possible and make the experience more appealing for us all.
Park and ride in Oxford is brilliant as it is in York as we found out at the National meet this year.
20 years from now I doubt we will be able to drive through any centre.
Old 22nd December 2017, 17:31   #109
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Looking at all the various posts and my recent purchase of an 06 Rover 75 CDTi, it seems to me that the Rover 75 at over 10 years old has become a very different car.
Different to what? Different to new? Of course it is - mine is nearly 15 years old

Quote:
The seller of my car was genuine but he did not know the problems he was passing on.

Quote:
As a start the Rover 75 at over ten years old cannot cope well with rain water (when wet or when frozen). These cars after 10 years old will start to leak around the bulkhead, sunroof, boot and locks. That not only turns the cabin of the car into a paddling pool but plays havoc with the electrics and locking.
Wet? as opposed to dry water? Mine has never leaked around the bulkhead. While it's true that many will leak somewhere or other at some time: it's not a given, and most don't leak in every possible place. Almost every car I've ever had with a sunroof has had leaks related to the sunroof regardless of age. Go back 20 years and most cars over 15 years old were either collectible classics or buckets of rust that leaked like sieves. Many 'modern' cars suffer just the same as soon as water gets into places it shouldn't (but should really be expected too: shame on optimistic designers).

Quote:
We have one of the most sound engine and gearboxes on the Rover 75 but the problems that are now emerging are more awkward to fix than a worn out engine or gearbox (where most back street garages can throw in a s/h unit to an average older car quite cheaply)
In general, and from my experience and what I have read here over the years: apart from a few shining gems - many back street garages can't be trusted to carry out a straight engine replacement with care to detail. Let alone any engine related jobs. Many fail to replace/refit items correctly that need to be removed/loosened to access the part they are trying to repair. E.g - after having an alternator changed I had to return it to the garage to get the power steering pipes refitted with the correct routing - They were rubbing on the radiator matrix!!

Quote:
I have an enormous job to not only strip out the drenched main carpet in winter, but also be accurate and certain about both the present leaks (there are at least six leaks) and other weak points for potential future rain water leaks before I put the carpets back in.
You won't be the first to have to strip out the carpet and dry it. Sounds like you've been really unlucky to get most of the leaks all at once - I'll refer you back to
Quote:
If it's that wet - then he'd have known.

Quote:
But from postings on forums there are very many potential rain water leaks (and in addition freezing rain issues) on a Rover 75 that require a proactive approach.
Yep, sure - there are many potential places any car can leak. Helpfully for the 75/ZT they are all listed here on the forum many with proven solutions to cure them.

Quote:
If we look at the postings on forums it is obvious that unless we get a better understanding and be clearer about what is happening to the decade plus old Rover 75 it will no longer be viable for most people.

Happy Christmas
Well, If you actually read the forum, it's clear that there's plenty of understanding of the problems and pitfalls of 75/ZT ownership - There's a wealth of knowledge here and as yet unwritten but for the asking.

Viable for most people? All cars are holes in the road into which money is thrown. The 75 is no worse, but a lot better than, many of it's contemporaries and a lot of newer cars as well. I do feel for you, if you've ended up with a bit of a 'lemon' but that's always a gamble with any secondhand car 3yrs old or 10 it really doesn't make much difference apart from the purchase price.

Tell us, how much did you purchase your's for and with what mileage? I'm genuinely curious to know.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 17:35   #110
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:

Happy Christmas
A well maintained R75 or ZT is as good a car of that age as ANY and better than most, lemons exist as in every brand, need to buy with care inspect car with great car, most owners looking to sell probably have little knowledge of the car let alone service. It simply boils down to what you want the car to do and personal expectations, just dont buy a 75 just as a cheap run around, you will soon regret it.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote