Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th June 2016, 09:55   #1
AndyJ180
Regular poster

MGZT-T

Default Possible fuel filter separation -advice needed

My ZTT180 shuddered to a halt recently. The revs started misbehaving and then it stalled. No amount of cranking would get it started again. 40 mins later the AA turned up and of course it fired up straight away - no problem. I was only a few hundred yards from home and had no further problems getting it back home and it has started fine since (though I have not taken it on a longer drive).

The AA chap was stumped, but my garage (inconveniently located about 50 miles away) reckon it is probably FFS. I should add at this stage it has done 100 miles since a hgf repair. I've had a go at getting to the filter assembly to check and I have the rear seat up, but before I go any further I've a couple of questions:

1. On reading around it seems to me that FFS stops the engine firing at all. Given mine will work (if necessary after a rest), can that be the cause?

2. I've not gone in to check because, whilst reading around the subject, it seems the advice is not to go any further if the tank is more than half full. Mine is 3/4 full. Any guidance?

3. I couldn't have gone any further in any case as I can't see how to remove the filter assembly. Again, can someone suggest how it is acutally released?

Thanks in advance! I should add - I'm a complete novice at this.
AndyJ180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 10:45   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

It doesn't sound like typical FFS, which doesn't come and go. Once the filter case has loosened enough to reduce fuel pessure, the engine won't start again. You need to be sure whether your filter is the later type before opening up the tank for further investigation.

With the rear seat out of the way, remove the circular hatch on the nearside floor. This will reveal the top of the filter module. Check whether the white plastic top has two loops or not. If the loops are present it's the earlier filter that doesn't suffer from FFS.

There's a photo of the earlier filter in Posts 5 and 6 here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=110917

This thread shows the later FFS type filter and how to fit the orange clip: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=158626

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 11:08   #3
AndyJ180
Regular poster

MGZT-T

I should have said - it's the later type.

I still can't see how to remove the dark grey ring that holds the assembly in place. The photo doesn't show its removal.

Probably something very simple, but beyond me.
Old 13th June 2016, 11:15   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJ180 View Post
I still can't see how to remove the dark grey ring that holds the assembly in place.
How To:http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=9108

The simplest way is to tap it round using a big screwdriver and a hammer.

TC
Old 13th June 2016, 11:32   #5
AndyJ180
Regular poster

MGZT-T

And any thoughts on the petrol level?
Old 13th June 2016, 12:02   #6
kwak636r
Regular poster

MG ZT T 190 lpg

Question

I'm having similar problems on mine, doesnt sound like the pump is picking up, I have heard about fuel level being a factor but not sure about this, going to get some Jerry cans and top her up.
Also not getting a preasure at fuel rail, but if you take the feed pipe off its backed up
kwak636r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 12:35   #7
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Fuel level applies to diesel when the in tank pump starts failing
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 13:18   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
My ZTT180 shuddered to a halt recently. The revs started misbehaving and then it stalled. No amount of cranking would get it started again. 40 mins later the AA turned up and of course it fired up straight away ..
Andy, don't rush into anything. From your account, you might have a failing camshaft or crankshaft position sensor or fuel pump relay.

Simon
Old 13th June 2016, 13:56   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
And any thoughts on the petrol level?
If you decide to open the tank, the fuel can get everywhere so the danger is obvious. If you can get the car going again, I'd suggest running the level down to minimal before embarking on FFS fixing. But as I said, I don't think it's FFS anyway.

TC
Old 30th June 2016, 14:49   #10
AndyJ180
Regular poster

MGZT-T

Quick update - fuel filter hadn't separated and on inspection the seals were all in good condition. The fuel in the assembly and filter were utterly filthy. Cleaned out and replaced filter as a precaution.

Had a proper rev up of the engine after and am detecting a misfire. Engine also running rough.

Is there one thing that might cause this together with my original stall problem? Am going to check the spark plugs at the weekend, so may then have more to go on.