Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th May 2018, 20:06   #1
clarkie46

rover 75 tourer

Question intermittent fault

I have an intermittent fault on electronics. My indicators do not flash on dash but work ok, sometimes i get a warning that a door is open, andmy central locking will open the doors but not close them. I have tried a different dash but this makes no difference. Is it possible it could be the BCU and if i bought another unit would it have to be programmed either used or new.
If i disconnect the battery overnight and reconnect everything works for a few minutes and then reverts back to the faults.
clarkie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 18:02   #2
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkie46 View Post
I have an intermittent fault on electronics. My indicators do not flash on dash but work ok, sometimes i get a warning that a door is open, andmy central locking will open the doors but not close them. I have tried a different dash but this makes no difference. Is it possible it could be the BCU and if i bought another unit would it have to be programmed either used or new.
If i disconnect the battery overnight and reconnect everything works for a few minutes and then reverts back to the faults.
You have a diesel, and one possibility is if you have a FBH fitted and it has had the K-bus wire cut on its connector (something people do to stop the heater acting up ) then that wire needs to be securely insulated and taped up. If it is bare wire and flapping up against something it can cause odd behaviour such as you describe.

It could also be a K-bus short on any other part of the car as well, but worth starting with the fbh.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 18:30   #3
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Check the bonnet open button on the front of the car, these often need a clean and cause the locking issue...
Also disconnect the battery negative for a full 30 mins...

That should reset the busses
Old 12th May 2018, 20:57   #4
RoverDan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Tourer, Limo

You probably have a wet/corroded module somewhere that is corrupting the K bus signals. I had it in my tourer when the parking sensor ECU got wet and corroded due to a small but ongoing water leak.

I too feared the BCU was at fault but that's in one of the driest locations! A T4 session will help track down the offending article, but it may be a case of unplugging units in turn until the culprit is found. When I unplugged my faulty parking sensor ECU, everything went back to normal.

Long description here.

Maybe start by checking for water ingress in the boot - wheel well and side cubbies - and damp carpets throughout. Check any modules nearby any damp...

CDT
auto Club Saloon
CDT
auto Connoisseur SE Tourer
CDT
auto Connoisseur MacNeillie Limousine
RoverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:21   #5
clarkie46

rover 75 tourer

Smile intermittent fault

Thanks very much to all who replied.
Left the car for a few days under the car port where it was warm and dry, reconnected the battery and all faults are gone. Looks like dampness somewhere so i will investigate further in all areas.
clarkie46 is offline   Reply With Quote