Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2020, 21:52   #1
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 9,424
Thanks: 947
Thanked 1,812 Times in 1,270 Posts
Default Do I need a socket set for impact wrench

Just wondering about the need for a new socket set for use with my impact wrench.

I have used an ordinary 32mm socket with an impact wrench and it was fine so do I need a set designed for impact wrenches?

My impact wrench is 3/4 inch drive but these sets are very expensive, 1/2 inch is much cheaper and I think I have 3/4 to 1/2 inch convertor but this will add an inch or so to the overall length.

This draper set is not too bad but it does not have 18mm or 32mm which I would like
https://www.drapertools.com/product/83092/1-2inch-Sq-Dr-Metric-Impact-Socket-Set-(10-Piece)

So, should I get a set designed for an impact wrench and can you suggest
a good "cheap" set that has more sizes, 16, 18 and 32 should also be in the set as well as the ones in the above set.

thank you

macafee2

oh just found one
https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-...et-439227.html
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2020, 22:17   #2
Mickyboy
THE SPARE PARTS GUY
 
Mickyboy's Avatar
 
MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hernebay
Posts: 4,015
Thanks: 656
Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,004 Posts
Default

Basically you should not use a standard chrome socket with an impact wrench. A normal chrome type socket will sometimes crack or break when used on an impact gun due to how brittle the material is when compared to a impact socket, just pick one up and feel the wall thickness in comparison to a chrome socket,
Contrary to common belief, it's not the torque applied to the socket that causes the biggest issue, more the vibration (ie impact) I use impacts a lot so have a bit of experience so to speak, best advice is look after your tools and they will look after you

Hope thatís of some help
Mick
__________________

T4 Owner
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mickyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 13th February 2020, 22:18   #3
clf
This is my second home
 
clf's Avatar
 
MG ZT CDTi

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: carrick
Posts: 6,472
Thanks: 2,859
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,526 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Just wondering about the need for a new socket set for use with my impact wrench.

I have used an ordinary 32mm socket with an impact wrench and it was fine so do I need a set designed for impact wrenches?

My impact wrench is 3/4 inch drive but these sets are very expensive, 1/2 inch is much cheaper and I think I have 3/4 to 1/2 inch convertor but this will add an inch or so to the overall length.

This draper set is not too bad but it does not have 18mm or 32mm which I would like
https://www.drapertools.com/product/83092/1-2inch-Sq-Dr-Metric-Impact-Socket-Set-(10-Piece)

So, should I get a set designed for an impact wrench and can you suggest
a good "cheap" set that has more sizes, 16, 18 and 32 should also be in the set as well as the ones in the above set.

thank you

macafee2

oh just found one
https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-...et-439227.html
Get the 3/4" for the really stubborn nuts/bolts as you need them. If you add an adaptor you are adding a weakness into the strength, which is what you bought the 3/4" for in the first place. This is how I see it, whether it is true or not, I dont know. And get proper impact sockets for it too. It is a stronger tool, so using 3/4" standard sockets could shatter when used in anger (again remember you got this tool for the stubborn work, so any work it gets will be in anger).
__________________


It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clf For This Useful Post:
Old 13th February 2020, 23:56   #4
SCP440
Posted a thing or two
 
SCP440's Avatar
 
MG ZT-T 260

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Witney
Posts: 1,601
Thanks: 5
Thanked 488 Times in 325 Posts
Default

This seems good value
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-pc-3-4...IAAOSwbI9eAJLz

Yes you must use impact sockets, I used a non impact socket on a job that I did not have the correct size in impact socket and after a few seconds it split wide open.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 10:39   #5
AndyN01
Posted a thing or two
 
Rover 75 diesel tourer

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Tamworth
Posts: 1,056
Thanks: 799
Thanked 482 Times in 322 Posts
Default

Just a general question.

Exactly which nuts are more likely to need the "extra" oomph of a 3/4" impact socket. Over and above a 6 sided flat drive 1/2" socket plus 3 foot long breaker bar (or even short scaffold pole).

i.e which ones am I likely to find especially difficult

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 14th February 2020 at 10:41..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 13:38   #6
SCP440
Posted a thing or two
 
SCP440's Avatar
 
MG ZT-T 260

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Witney
Posts: 1,601
Thanks: 5
Thanked 488 Times in 325 Posts
Default

An impact gun is better than a scaffold pole, it gives multiple hits per second so shocks the nut or bolt loose.

Saying that if you are trying to undo something that has some ''give'' an impact does not work well as the shocks are taken out by the ''give'' so the constant pressure of a scaffold pole works better.

One of the biggest benefits to me is the access. You can get an impact gun especially a battery powered version into a space a lot easier than a socket, extension and scaffold pole.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SCP440 For This Useful Post:
Old 14th February 2020, 16:11   #7
COLVERT
Foreign correspondent.
 
COLVERT's Avatar
 
R75 Saloon.

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: France/or Devon.
Posts: 10,734
Thanks: 2,570
Thanked 1,210 Times in 1,049 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Just a general question.

Exactly which nuts are more likely to need the "extra" oomph of a 3/4" impact socket. Over and above a 6 sided flat drive 1/2" socket plus 3 foot long breaker bar (or even short scaffold pole).

i.e which ones am I likely to find especially difficult

Thanks in advance.

Andy.
!/ End of crankshaft damper.

2/ Ends of drive shafts.

3/ Rear wheel hub nuts.
__________________
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COLVERT For This Useful Post:
Old 14th February 2020, 17:13   #8
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 9,424
Thanks: 947
Thanked 1,812 Times in 1,270 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Just a general question.

Exactly which nuts are more likely to need the "extra" oomph of a 3/4" impact socket. Over and above a 6 sided flat drive 1/2" socket plus 3 foot long breaker bar (or even short scaffold pole).

i.e which ones am I likely to find especially difficult

Thanks in advance.

Andy.
The nuts on the end of the drive shaft are tight and I decided to get an impact wrench bigger then the one I used to undo them.
It was not the 3/4 that was important but the torque it could muster.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macafee2 For This Useful Post:
Old 14th February 2020, 17:17   #9
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 9,424
Thanks: 947
Thanked 1,812 Times in 1,270 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
This seems good value
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-pc-3-4...IAAOSwbI9eAJLz

Yes you must use impact sockets, I used a non impact socket on a job that I did not have the correct size in impact socket and after a few seconds it split wide open.
thanks. The 32 mm one would be the most important from that set.
I was thinking of a set that started of 13 or 14mm. Less then that is a concern of snapping the bolt but if a set went to 12 or even 10 that would be ok

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 17:18   #10
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 9,424
Thanks: 947
Thanked 1,812 Times in 1,270 Posts
Default

advice heeded, I will get a set or two for an impact wrench, thank you for the advice

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2020, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd