Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th May 2015, 09:06   #1
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Default Norton Chrome Extension????

Hi there,
I downloaded Norton a few days ago: it came free when I switched to EE Broadband.
I got a pop up this morning telling me that "Your Chrome browser is not protected". "The Chrome extensions are not enabled".

I clicked "install now" but that brought up a list of 5 things that Norton would install. 1 was a Norton toolbar, another was to set Norton Safe Search as the default search setting.

I dont understand the implications of this so my question is, is it a good idea or not?
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 10:36   #2
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
Hi there,
I downloaded Norton a few days ago: it came free when I switched to EE Broadband.
I got a pop up this morning telling me that "Your Chrome browser is not protected". "The Chrome extensions are not enabled".

I clicked "install now" but that brought up a list of 5 things that Norton would install. 1 was a Norton toolbar, another was to set Norton Safe Search as the default search setting.

I dont understand the implications of this so my question is, is it a good idea or not?
Leaving myself open for "flak" here but, I found Norton made browsing slow as it checked every place you visited.
It was about 5 years ago so perhaps they have improved things
All I have now is Microsoft Security Essentials and Advanced SystemCare Pro 8.2 for surfing. The only time I ever get something I don`t want is due to myself trying to download a freebie or two and you get the unwanted crapski that is hard to get rid of.
Ken.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 10:54   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

It's true that a lot of anti-virus products do slow your computer. I've just bought a new laptop and removed Mcaffee even before the free trial ran out, it was causing havoc! I use AVG free and Premium Malwarebytes and they cause no issues. I've downloaded Adblocker too, it's free and very good.
PS, using Google Chrome too, but it's not everyone's first choice browser.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 12:08   #4
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Sounds like donloading this Norton Toolbar and Safe Search might slow things down then. Just what I suspected.

If i don't download it, will I be safe to surf?

The pop up from Norton said that my Chrome browser isn't protected. Is that true or just scare mungering?
Old 28th May 2015, 12:18   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Get rid of Norton & just use Microsoft Security Essentials It's all you need
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 12:31   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Never liked Norton, too intrusive, gets its fingers into everything, never really liked Chrome either for that matter.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 12:40   #7
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Norton & Symantec - I really don't know how these do business at all. Well yes actually I do - they advertise lots. But these are still the top of my hit list for removal when faced with a slow PC. It's getting more difficult to find a really good alternative these days - but just about any of the other major A/V products is better (i.e. just as likely (if not more) to actually catch something before it does damage and less of a slow down factor on your computer).

As far as browser add-ons go - don't (install any of them), unless you have someone really not clued up on web safety using the PC - child under 25, grandmother etc.

You're better off making sure that the browser you are using is up to date and adding as few addons or extensions as possible, and using good web-safety habits.

Most of all avoid anything that adds extra toolbars to browser. Not only will 'safesurf' or such things check every URL you click on before letting the browser load it, it'll send all that data to the A/V vendor for their own use - you'll find it buried in T&C somewhere. How that is compatible with private or incognito (as Chrome calls it) browsing I've no idea.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 12:44   #8
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Get rid of Norton & just use Microsoft Security Essentials It's all you need

Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 12:52   #9
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Norton must be one of the most memory/processing power hungry pieces of software available - and if you let it become your default search engine etc. as it is suggesting - it'll try and run your computing life for you

As other have said, there are lots of other pieces of software which do just as good a job- Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG etc. - backed up with things like Malwarebytes - all of which will use a lot less of your processing power than Norton will.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 13:15   #10
jonathan63
This is my second home

Not happy that I have installed Norton now.

I have just uninstalled the free AVG that was coming to an end.

Okay guys:please suggest a free AV. I already have Superantispyware.