Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th October 2015, 19:30   #21
bigbaldbloke
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Connie SE Auto

If it's any consolation, I had an email from Virgin today saying that we're being upgraded to 200Mb.
bigbaldbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 20:51   #22
ChestersDad
Still 75less :-(

1988 Defender 90

Unhappy *@xx

Presumably that's still using 'BT' infrastructure?

ChestersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 21:07   #23
bigbaldbloke
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Connie SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestersDad View Post
Nah,it's their new supadupa cable:

Quote:
Hold on tight

Your speed boost is almost ready!
Your connection speed will increase from up to 152Mbps to up to 200Mbps. It's all thanks to DOCSIS® 3 - the magic in our cables.

Your speed boost will be ready by the end of February 2016.
bigbaldbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 08:04   #24
pm77
Gets stuck in

Volvo XC70 D5 AWD Auto

Quote:
Virgin installed their own infrastructure, well ntl/telewest etc did. That's why BT have to play catch up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaldbloke View Post
Nah,it's their new supadupa cable:
Old 13th October 2015, 13:26   #25
ChestersDad

1988 Defender 90

Thumbs down Oh Well!

Dammit!

No Virgin in this area (and I don't mean what you're thinking!)

Old 13th October 2015, 15:41   #26
Organiser
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Quote:
Dammit!

No Virgin in this area (and I don't mean what you're thinking!)

You could try this?

Tom.

Print this page
Save to disk

Wiltshire farmer builds own 4G mast to boost broadband service

/v3-uk/the-frontline-blog/2422582/wiltshire-farmer-builds-own-4g-mast-to-boost-broadband-service
19 Aug 2015, Dan Worth , V3

Slow internet speeds remain a bugbear for many in the UK, even as the government touts its ongoing funding of rollouts of services across the nation.
But life in the slow lane proved so intolerable for one Wiltshire farmer that he took it on himself to solve the problem with a homemade 4G adapter and his own fibre-optic lines.
As the BBC reports, Richard Guy, from Salisbury, built his own 4G adapter using an assortment of components, including solar panels to power the unit, and then ran fibre-optic cable from the unit to his home.
Guy explained that it works because a 4G signal can be attained in one area of his farm. He put a mast in the ground and attached a 4G adapter to the top, housed in a toolbox to keep it safe. From here he ran fibre-optic cables back to his home 1,100 meters away. A solar panel at the top of the mast ensures that the 4G adapter is always powered up.
This has completely transformed his internet experience, according to Guy, making it possible to do everything from online shopping to finding key government information.
“The 0.8Mbps I had before was very slow for following the pages of Amazon or the Defra website, but with this it’s like lightning. It's like selling a Morris Minor and buying a Lamborghini.”
Suggesting that there may be a little bit of PR-wizardry behind the scenes, Guy also revealed that he intends to take his setup to market with a new business called Agri-Broadband.
“It’s something farmers can take part in. They dig the trenches and build the tower and we apply the technology to it and it all works just fine,” he said.
The idea could well catch on, given that 4G avaiability in remote areas continues to increase and that, for most farmers, digging up their own land is something they do on a fairly regular basis.
However, for the average homeowner or business in a remote area, it may not be the best idea to start churning up public highways and running your own fibre lines.

Print this page
Save to disk

© Incisive Media Investments Limited 2015, Published by Incisive Financial Publishing Limited, Haymarket House, 28-29 Haymarket, London SW1Y 4RX, are companies registered in England and Wales with company registration numbers 04252091 & 04252093
Old 16th October 2015, 19:23   #27
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

I fall out with every provider eventually. Used Zen for years but BT had them over a barrel when my connection went faulty.

Unbelievable how difficult it was to get an engineer visit - all sorts of threats of hell and highwater (and big fees) if it was "my fault". I knew full well it wasn't, not least because it was getting steadily worse and I hadn't changed anything.

Once I got an engineer, he fixed it, quite quickly - a faulty connection on the BT line (surprise!).

I then moved to BT for a variety of odd reasons - but in short I thought I might as well be ripped off first hand instead of by proxy.

Much later had internet issues - limited to certain websites - twitter was full of peeps with the same issues. After BT spent nearly a week denying there was a problem, they admitted it - even put a note on their website - but removed it after an hour. Eventually fixed it - so I figured I'd try Virgin - all ordered online, including date for installation.

Couple of days before install, they phone to say they aren't coming as they need to put some new cables in the road. They have done a lot of work outside, but now the only way I can apparently reschedule the installation (which they cancelled) is to speak to their hopeless call centre. Decided to cancel instead.
Ps3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 08:55   #28
ChestersDad

1988 Defender 90

Thumbs up There are some advantages to living out here!

My phone barely shows 'G' (Android) and takes about 3 mins to get the google search page up - ok for some email headers if you're prepared to wait! There is 4G if we care to drive 35 miles unless I change away from Vodafone.

I'm going to opt for a year's contract using Microwave which will give 20 times what I get now so that'll work right away.....

Good thread to start W44nty - it's nice to hear wots out there!

Old 18th October 2015, 15:18   #29
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I'm getting 54Mbs & paying for 20Mbs from virgin, I saw an email from them a week or so ago saying that they were going to upgrade this autumn again free of charge.
http://www.speedcheckerapi.com/Images/221577516.jpg

Last edited by Lancpudn; 18th October 2015 at 16:18..
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 10:00   #30
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I got another tease email from Virgin media yesterday ......coming soon to your area.........broadband speed upgrade.....free of charge....50 Mbs to 70 Mbs. Please just do it. I just hate the anticipation & waiting.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote