Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 23rd January 2011, 15:49   #1
baconbuttyman
Banned

Default Hotpoint Aqualtis AQXXF149PI onboard computer failed after 26 months

We bought a Hotpoint Aqualtis AQXXF149PI in November 2008. the machine has had no probs in that time, yesterday mid cycle it stopped, no fault codes showed up. we phoned the repair line (no extended warranty, but it does carry a 5 yr parts warranty) and they said there was a £90 call out fee, thats each occasion if they couldnt repair it there and then.
The we called a local repair man, they said its probably an onboard computer fault, thats got me thinking, surely that part is designed to last longer than 2 years, this machine cost us nearly £500. could this be an inherent fault.
Old 23rd January 2011, 16:43   #2
Platemaker
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 160, MG ZT 180.

I can't help you but I got so fed up with useless washing machines that I bought a Miele in the end.
I had Hotpoints, Bosch, Indesit and no technician had a good word to say about any of them.

Old 23rd January 2011, 17:42   #3
jamesgreen
Loves to post

MG-ZT CDTI + ROVER 75T CDTI

hi
we have had 2 hotpoints in the last two years comet finally gaveup after 1 year and 11 callouts so we pottered off to comet with there voucher and ordered the so called top of range hotpoint.hmmmmmmmmm wont be buying hotpoint again.
supposed to be a super silent model it is when it is turned off.
Old 23rd January 2011, 18:00   #4
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
I can't help you but I got so fed up with useless washing machines that I bought a Miele in the end.
I had Hotpoints, Bosch, Indesit and no technician had a good word to say about any of them.
I bought our Miele in 1992 and its just beginning to run in.
Old 23rd January 2011, 18:37   #5
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

I was told by a washing machine repair man when we were moving into our flat, "dont buy the new stuff they are all rubbish, too fancy with their circuit boards etc" so someone gave us an ancient hotpoint and it works brill!
Old 23rd January 2011, 21:37   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbuttyman View Post
We bought a Hotpoint Aqualtis AQXXF149PI in November 2008. the machine has had no probs in that time, yesterday mid cycle it stopped, no fault codes showed up. we phoned the repair line (no extended warranty, but it does carry a 5 yr parts warranty) and they said there was a £90 call out fee, thats each occasion if they couldnt repair it there and then.
The we called a local repair man, they said its probably an onboard computer fault, thats got me thinking, surely that part is designed to last longer than 2 years, this machine cost us nearly £500. could this be an inherent fault.
ukwhitegoods is a source of information to help you repair it yourself.

Our Hotpoint died with a failed PCB after about 2 years use, I traced the problem down to a couple of failed electrolytic capacitors on the PCB and replaced them with uprated ones for a few pence. Apparently it is a common failing on the PCB. It has been fine since then, apart from the Filter getting choked a couple of times. Since reporting the cheap fix on UKwhitegoods, a number their members have written to suggest the same cheap fix has also worked for them. The alternative is to send the board off to an independant repairer, who fix them for £110 each.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 23rd January 2011 at 21:39..
Old 23rd January 2011, 22:51   #7
justmicky
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Club SE

We have two Miele washing machines and a Miele tumble drier...............onboard ship here! They are great and have lasted years and considering the abuse they get. Would definately recommend.
Old 25th January 2011, 11:06   #8
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

We got the Whitegoods ISE branded washer.. with 5 yr all inclusive warranty .. its been quite good with a couple of repairs ( free)..

They do one now with a 10 years inc warranty..

but does cost a few quids tho' !!

Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Old 25th January 2011, 14:05   #9
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbuttyman View Post
In England and Wales you have a 6 year warranty (Scotland 5 years) against faulty manufactured goods. Check out Consumer Direct for details. http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/ You need to get a independent report from your repairman stating that it is a faulty PCB and that it is unacceptable for that to fail after such a short time. The retailer will squirm like anything, but in the end the law is on your side (for once). we had a fault on a washer from Argos after 18 months, with CD's help we got it replaced FOC. The report cost me £18 from a local repairman. HTH

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

Old 26th January 2011, 18:32   #10
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post
In England and Wales you have a 6 year warranty (Scotland 5 years) against faulty manufactured goods. Check out Consumer Direct for details. http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/ You need to get a independent report from your repairman stating that it is a faulty PCB and that it is unacceptable for that to fail after such a short time. The retailer will squirm like anything, but in the end the law is on your side (for once). we had a fault on a washer from Argos after 18 months, with CD's help we got it replaced FOC. The report cost me £18 from a local repairman. HTH

The 6 year limit is quite misleading and often mis-quoted (Not by you BTW)
A company is liable to some degree during the 6 year period and thats why companies like hotpoint offer a free 5 year parts gtee. In the small claims court (Where these things quite often end up) they are often seen as already offering more than they need to during the later years and a fair and reasonable callout charge is perfectly acceptable.

That said is 24 Months a good duration for it to last? probably not. Is the company that sold it to you liable? Quite possibly but not the manufacturer beyond the 5 year parts Gtee they have already offered as the sales of goods act covers the contract between the shop and the customer and not the customer and the manufacturer.

It's a minefield.. and I love it.

just fight fight fight and hope you get somewhere but rememebr the fight is with the seller not the manufacturer.

Looking for: 7 seater
Closed Thread