Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 3rd July 2011, 07:22   #11
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Why do you want to move from Talktalk to BT

I will save £312.90 this year also last year and the year before and the year before and the year before that was a saving of over £1000.

I've only had to phone talktalk 2 times over 5 years oh! and the phone number is free.......
Talktalk (original Tiscali) for line, broadband and free calls and we have had it for lots of years. All has been pretty much top notch since we got it and full speed broadband. We have only ever had one hiccup, a BT fault and that took an annoying few days to get TT to sort out with BT.

Before that we had NTL and that really was hell.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Old 3rd July 2011, 08:42   #12
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Sounds like they are all a bit risky to deal with!

TBH, I don't have any real desire to move from Talk Talk to BT for the phone - as said, our phone calls really are minimal

At the mo our broadband is Orange, as Gill has a mobile phone contract with them that gives us free broadband. She's changing her phone soon, so looking at options for BB, and BT have been recommended (for the Home Hub set up). But, as we are with TT for the phone, may make this tricky?

TBH, we might be best off just starting to pay for Orange BB and getting a new router!
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:21   #13
Anthony & Maricel
This is my second home

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1.8L pre production S573 AOX Vin 001493 Feb 1999

We Use orange Phone and BB, it's a very good service also you get a second line with your BB package similar to Skype with orange and the router is easy to set up
Old 3rd July 2011, 16:40   #14
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

Without a doubt BT provide the best service. TT are rubbish and I've loads of customersa who've tried them and moved back to BT.

I pay £5 a month to BT for my Broadband. £3.00 for unlimited calls and £120 per year line rental so £18 a month effectively
Old 6th July 2011, 10:03   #15
craig8661
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 tourer cdt

becuse where so far away from the exchange we was only just able to get broadband on aol we got .5mb moved up the street by 5 houses and they could no longer do the bb.
we moved to o2 started good got about 1mb then after a year it slowed right down to .5mb.
we switched to sky and that was the worst mistake we ever made just short of the year contract i told them to stuff it.
moved the line rental back to bt and took the infinity 40mb download speed its so brill we will never look back also have no downtime like sky or o2 and service has been great.
mods so far synergy 2
heated washer jets
cant really add anything else as it has it all lol
Old 6th July 2011, 10:33   #16
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphshumphs View Post
You should try a company called plus.net. (www.plus.net) I used them for about 15 years, and in that time had no complaints.

The only reason I changed at home, was got a deal from sky otherwise I would still be with them.(I still actually use them at my workplace as sky don't offer business broadband).
+1 for Plusnet!

I've been with them for about 10 years now and on the whole they are very good. The biggest positive for me is that they have a UK call centre and more often then not the person who answers the phone can actually deal with the issue.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:32   #17
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
I have a BT land line and BT DSL modem. I use AOL as my ISP... Sort of.. I don't actually use AOL's software, I prefer to use IE8..

There are undoubtedly cheaper ways to connect, but I have not had any probs getting online for years now, so have left things well alone..

My TV and phone line is with Virgin via cable..
Ummmm............. Why not get your BB from Virgin too? Hell of a lot better than ADSL, up to 100Mb download speeds too! In the 8 years I've been with Blueyonder>VM there's been about 5 occasions I couldn't get online.

If you get all 3 from VM, you can haggle some good discounts.
Old 7th July 2011, 19:33   #18
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I have no problem with Sky whatsoever. Fast and stable at all times of day. The only issues i had were with Openreach setting up the line in the first place.

BT.. well, never again. Expensive, slow, throttled at peak times, the Home hub was rubbish, i had 3, all were faulty, the last one they wanted me to pay for again, i refused and left them.

Its not quite true that all ISPs go through BT systems. Openreach are in control of the exchanges, but BT dont have a say what really goes on.

Never heard anything good about Virgin around here. Incredibly slow whether you have the 50/100Mb service or not, poor customer services, throttled to a ridiculous point at peak times.

Last edited by rovexCDTi; 7th July 2011 at 19:35..
Old 7th July 2011, 20:26   #19
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
Never heard anything good about Virgin around here. Incredibly slow whether you have the 50/100Mb service or not, poor customer services, throttled to a ridiculous point at peak times.
I had a cheeky little 72Gb download this morning, came in at a rock solid 52.4Mb, although you are quite correct about throttling in the evenings & weekends; I only get about 25Mb but thats still faster than most ADSL connections. I think VM are trying to get everyone to upgrade to their 100Mb service.

Agree about their customer services too, fortunately I've not had to call them too often!
Old 7th July 2011, 20:32   #20
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

This is proof that its almost impossible to get recommendations on ISP from a national group, you need local recommendations.

Around here Virgin gets so bad that nothing happens at all in the evenings, everything times out and torrenting is out of the question.

Im downloading stuff now on Sky and getting the max theoretical speed i can for my connection, ive never had that with any other ISP during the evenings. BT basically blocks all file sharing of any sort, legal or not. I was getting maybe 1kb/s with them.

Last edited by rovexCDTi; 7th July 2011 at 20:37..
Closed Thread