Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2013, 14:57   #1
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two
 
Ross R75's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 1,538
Thanks: 137
Thanked 229 Times in 156 Posts
Default KV6 Engine Oil Cooler - Is it actually required?

My 75 2.5 V6 has the original type oil cooler bolted to the front of the sump. As these are a known weak point, I want to remove it altogether.

Is an engine oil cooler actually required on the KV6 or is it a "belt and braces" measure? Either way, I'm going to remove it as its just another possible coolant/oil mixing point.

If its absolutely required (which I don't think it is), I'll replace it with a bar and fin type generic oil cooler. That way, there is no coolant involved and therefore no chance of it escaping into the engine oil.
__________________
Copperleaf R75 CDT 160
Ross R75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 15:00   #2
kaiser
This is my second home
 
kaiser's Avatar
 
75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Johannesburg ZA
Posts: 5,743
Thanks: 0
Thanked 578 Times in 459 Posts
Default

I would think it is mainly belts and braces, as only cars with the automatic boxes have them as far as I am aware.
Since all the plumbing is there from the pump, why don't you just go and get an air/oil cooler and mount it in front of the engine behind the fan or wherever it is convenient.
That's what I would do.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 15:10   #3
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two
 
Ross R75's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 1,538
Thanks: 137
Thanked 229 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I would think it is mainly belts and braces, as only cars with the automatic boxes have them as far as I am aware.
Since all the plumbing is there from the pump, why don't you just go and get an air/oil cooler and mount it in front of the engine behind the fan or wherever it is convenient.
That's what I would do.
Thanks Kaiser. This is the engine oil cooler I'm talking about, there's a separate transmission oil cooler that is part of the radiator. I think the manual cars have an engine oil cooler too.
__________________
Copperleaf R75 CDT 160
Ross R75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 15:21   #4
kaiser
This is my second home
 
kaiser's Avatar
 
75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Johannesburg ZA
Posts: 5,743
Thanks: 0
Thanked 578 Times in 459 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross R75 View Post
Thanks Kaiser. This is the engine oil cooler I'm talking about, there's a separate transmission oil cooler that is part of the radiator. I think the manual cars have an engine oil cooler too.
Yes, I should have said A/C. According to Haynes only cars with A/C have got them.

But, there is nothing that prevents you from doing an air to oil cooler in stead.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 16:57   #5
chris75
Same car since 2005
 
chris75's Avatar
 
2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ellesmere Port , Cheshire
Posts: 3,300
Thanks: 275
Thanked 397 Times in 339 Posts
Default

My manual 2.0 v6 has the oil cooler . I too am unconvinced about the need for it. There is a thread on here somewhere about a member doing his cambelts and I commented that the pics didn't show an oil cooler . Turned out a previous owner had removed and bypassed it , and the car was running fine without it
The thread is here
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ght=oil+cooler
, but unfortunately the OP has removed his content and replies ( presumably due to a dispute )
__________________
Who said it was simples ?

Last edited by chris75; 9th April 2013 at 17:03..
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 18:06   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves
 
SD1too's Avatar
 
Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model. Rover 3500 Vanden Plas (1984).

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Middlesex
Posts: 15,731
Thanks: 825
Thanked 2,439 Times in 2,109 Posts
Default KV6 engine oil cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross R75 View Post
As these are a known weak point ...
I don't think they are. One member's became blocked after a sealing compound had been added to the coolant, and I can only remember one other case of a failure. That hardly amounts to a "known weak point".

You can bet your life that if it wasn't necessary MG Rover would not have fitted it.

Simon
__________________
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble."
Sir Henry Royce.
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 18:54   #7
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two
 
Ross R75's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 1,538
Thanks: 137
Thanked 229 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I don't think they are. One member's became blocked after a sealing compound had been added to the coolant, and I can only remember one other case of a failure. That hardly amounts to a "known weak point".

You can bet your life that if it wasn't necessary MG Rover would not have fitted it.

Simon
I've read quite a few accounts of KV6 oil cooler failure Simon, on 75/ZTs and on Freelanders. I would definitely call it a weak point.

As for being necessary, it depends what you consider to be a necessity. Cooling the oil in an effort to lengthen service life of 10w-40 semi-synthetic oil by keeping it in viscosity range for longer may have been necessary in the minds of the powertrain designer. With my car never going over 4000 miles between oil changes and always using synthetic oil, I see the oil cooler as being far less necessary.

It appears to me that nothing good can come of leaving it on the car. I'm definitely open to education if I'm wide of the mark though.
__________________
Copperleaf R75 CDT 160
Ross R75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 07:54   #8
WarrenL
Newbie
 
Rover 75 Connoisseur

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 16
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross R75 View Post
I've read quite a few accounts of KV6 oil cooler failure Simon, on 75/ZTs and on Freelanders. I would definitely call it a weak point.

As for being necessary, it depends what you consider to be a necessity. Cooling the oil in an effort to lengthen service life of 10w-40 semi-synthetic oil by keeping it in viscosity range for longer may have been necessary in the minds of the powertrain designer. With my car never going over 4000 miles between oil changes and always using synthetic oil, I see the oil cooler as being far less necessary.

It appears to me that nothing good can come of leaving it on the car. I'm definitely open to education if I'm wide of the mark though.
Bit late to this 3 year old party, but I feel compelled to point out that two of my 3 75s are presently suffering from failed oil coolers...

One's an early type on a Cowley Connie, and the other is on a late Mk1 powered by a ZT 190 engine that came from a manual car. Fitted to a manual car too, so two myths exploded as far as I'm concerned. They are a weak point, and they were fitted to manual cars. I'm bypassing both while awaiting new items.
WarrenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 09:47   #9
Lord of Hog
I'm more used to Mitsubishis
 
Lord of Hog's Avatar
 
Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Felbridge, East Grinstead
Posts: 895
Thanks: 227
Thanked 236 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Two failures plus a couple of apocryphal references does not make a weak point / design fault or whatever. The oil cooler on my Cowley 2.5 is still going strong at approaching 94k so even if it failed now I'd consider it reasonable wear and tear. There's enough myth and rumour surrounding the reliability of our cars without conjuring up another one.
__________________


Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 16:07   #10
Organiser
I really should get out more.......
 
ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Walsall
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 1,361
Thanked 569 Times in 460 Posts
Default

I have had two go on me, both the later type leaking oil into the water!

And I know one of the early type also going as I sold the owner involved a used one I had.

Tom.
__________________
Remember a Typhoon is for life not just Christmas! Now plus the Yellow Peril.
Organiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2019, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd