Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th October 2020, 17:56   #11
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Rob,
You have a PM

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 14:27   #12
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

It's been a while but while I had a bit of free time I thought I'd have a faff with my original MK3 GPS CD drive that I thought was damaged..

Anyway, I've now found that one of the CDs you supplied Steve does actually work. No other cd will work on the drive. The cd which works is the TMC 2010 disc. The original 2003 cd doesn't even work.

The head unit displays a message something along the lines of no disc being inserted.

With the 2010 cd inserted (the only one it likes?) I have tried to go into "set" and find the OS or firmware version but nothing is displayed.

Seeing that it appears to currently work albeit with one cd that it appears to prefer, is it worth trying to update the firmware?
I've had a good read and a look about and found a website that did offer v32 download with the bin/cue file etc, burnt the image to cd using imgburn at the slowest speed but with this cd inserted and trying to select the sat Nav option on the screen a message was displayed sorry I can't remember the exact wording but something along the lines of the inccorect cd has been inserted..

Anybody have any ideas on why the software version isn't displayed in the "set" section?

Thanks
Rob
Old 16th August 2021, 11:53   #13
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
It's been a while but while I had a bit of free time I thought I'd have a faff with my original MK3 GPS CD drive that I thought was damaged..

Anyway, I've now found that one of the CDs you supplied Steve does actually work. No other cd will work on the drive. The cd which works is the TMC 2010 disc. The original 2003 cd doesn't even work.

The head unit displays a message something along the lines of no disc being inserted.

With the 2010 cd inserted (the only one it likes?) I have tried to go into "set" and find the OS or firmware version but nothing is displayed.

Seeing that it appears to currently work albeit with one cd that it appears to prefer, is it worth trying to update the firmware?
I've had a good read and a look about and found a website that did offer v32 download with the bin/cue file etc, burnt the image to cd using imgburn at the slowest speed but with this cd inserted and trying to select the sat Nav option on the screen a message was displayed sorry I can't remember the exact wording but something along the lines of the inccorect cd has been inserted..

Anybody have any ideas on why the software version isn't displayed in the "set" section?

Thanks
Rob
Rob, I think you'll find the V.32 firmware is for the Mk IV DVD drive and will not work on the earlier Mk III units, I'm not even sure whether there was an update for the Mk III firmware that was widely available, that is what is causing the error you are seeing when you load the CD into the sat nav drive.

The firmware you have downloaded is designed to create a CD, even though it is for the DVD drive (the Mk IV unit can read both CD and DVD discs).

Given the age of the unit, I think I'd quit whilst I was ahead, the CD drive you have seems to cope with the map CD and it is about the final update to the CD map discs, so I don't think that revised firmware (if available) would include any additional features or functionality - if you require more up to date maps with more features, then the only way to go would be the Mk IV set-up,

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
Old 16th August 2021, 20:30   #14
biffa75
Trader

Thanks for the info Steve after a bit more searching I found that their were further firmware updates up to around 22. But, from what I've found, original rover designated drives are locked and if they don't display the firmware version under the set tab in the head unit main screen, this is a locked ROM drive.

Having used the drive today on our 200 miles drive it worked great anyway so I won't bother looking into any firmware updates.

I find it really odd that the only disc it likes is one of the ones you sent me (huge thanks!) You sent me two discs a 2010 disc and the 2015 disc. It only works with the 2010 disc. No idea why so I think I'll be making a backup of this disc in case anything.happens to it.

Thanks
Rob
Old 16th August 2021, 20:52   #15
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
Thanks for the info Steve after a bit more searching I found that their were further firmware updates up to around 22. But, from what I've found, original rover designated drives are locked and if they don't display the firmware version under the set tab in the head unit main screen, this is a locked ROM drive.

Having used the drive today on our 200 miles drive it worked great anyway so I won't bother looking into any firmware updates.

I find it really odd that the only disc it likes is one of the ones you sent me (huge thanks!) You sent me two discs a 2010 disc and the 2015 disc. It only works with the 2010 disc. No idea why so I think I'll be making a backup of this disc in case anything.happens to it.

Thanks
Rob
Hi Rob,
I have images of the discs stored on my PC, so if I ever need one I create the CD straight from the image, so I'm never creating a 'copy of a copy', OK, the image has been generated from a CD, but it's always a 'first generation' copy, not a copy of a copy of a copy - you get the idea! I could probably let you have a link to the file on my google drive so you could download it and store it on your PC, ready to create another CD should the need arise.

The TMC function on the Mk III only activates if the radio is tuned to classic FM, as they are the carriers of the TMC data (you can see if the TMC function is active as the 'TMC' logo at the bottom of the map screen turns green) if you have the chance to upgrade to the BMW BM24 radio module, which has two tuners, you can set the unit to have one tuner configured to receive the TMC data and the other tuner for your normal radio station of choice, so the TMC data will always be available, regardless of what radio station you are listening to.

The TMC data is useful, only the other day it alerted me to stationary traffic on the M60 five miles further along, giving me time to divert off the motorway,

Steve

Old 17th August 2021, 08:22   #16
biffa75
Trader

Hi Steve,

That's a good idea, I have something similar for the rave info. Virtual discs arranged for quick access.

I'll do this for the 2010 disc, I do find it odd that the drive in the boot won't read any other disc than the 2010 disc you kindly gave me, but it works either way.

I was wondering how the tmc thing worked, I have the three tmc letters at the bottom of the screen (shows a few moments after the head unit loads up) I had the station set to classic FM yesterday and unfortunately it didn't give any info. (200 mile round trip yesterday took over 6 hours!) Castleford to Newcastle under lyme. Should have only taken four hours.

I have been looking for the map disc images to download to try and get other discs to work.

It's nice to have it working so I can keep the original equipment that the car came with. (Just need to fit a digibox to get the TV element working again but that's a job for later on).

Thanks
Rob
Old 17th August 2021, 10:33   #17
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts
Default TMC - Traffic Message Channel

Hi Rob, I can confirm that the Rover Mk3 nav drives are firmware locked and can't be updated.

For more information about TMC, have a look at this post I made some years ago.....

1) What is TMC?

TMC or Traffic Message Channel is a system which allows real-time traffic data to be sent to the vehicle's Navigation system and enables the driver to see via on screen symbols and voice announcements if there are any hold ups, accidents, closed roads, high-winds etc, and where applicable, offers alternative routes to avoid the problem.

2) Who operates the system, and how much does it cost?

In the UK, a company called "itis Holdings PLC", owns the licence and collates the data required to make the system work. The data is sent out via The Classic FM frequency(although it can't be heard), and as such can be received nationally throughout the country.

itis Holdings sell the licence to use the system to car manufacturers, and as a result there is no cost to the end user (ie) it is free.
Currently the following car makers have a licence to use the system: BMW, Ferrari, Ford, Land Rover, Lexus, Toyota, Mercedes, Mini, Subaru, Nissan, Porsche, Renault, Saab, Vauxhall, Volvo and Maserati.....NOT MG ROVER !!!!

3) How can I get TMC to work in my Rover 75 / ZT?

As you can see from the list, BMW can use the TMC functionality in their cars, and of course our Sat Nav systems are the same as those used in BMWs so by default we should all be able to have the system, however, in practice most owners only get the small black TMC letters at the foot of their screens and "function not available" in the menu. This is because in order to make the system active, the correct Map Disc has to be used which includes on it the extra TMC data codes to convert what the Sat Nav receives from Classic FM into symbols & voice announcements.

The official MG Rover Map CDs were originally supplied by "Navteq", and as Rover had not paid itis for the licence, all Navteq discs came WITHOUT the TMC codes on them. (Some discs would have the TMC logo on the front, but that just meant it would work in continental Europe, not here in the UK.

However, if you are prepared to splash out a little more you can get the TMC encoded Map CDs from a company called "VDO/Dayton". These discs have on them, all the codes needed to make the system work.

A Word Of Warning:

The Rover 75 / ZT was fitted with 2 types of Navigation Computer, the original unit known as a Mark 2 looks like this:

and I have found that when a TMC map disc was used in one of these, it caused the Sat Nav to crash frequently. This may be because the early units were produced from 1999 onwards, but itis's TMC system with BMW didn't come about until 2002, and so the the hardware may not have been compatible with their code data. (or perhaps this was just an isolated anomaly with the old mark 2 I was using - although it worked perfectly with a non TMC disc)

The other type of navigation computer, fitted from late 2001 onwards was the Mark 3

And this unit has no problems using TMC enabled discs.

4) So what do you get for your money and how does it look?

Once a TMC disc is inserted, the little TMC letters on the Hi-Line Sat Nav screen will turn from Black to Green. The system has to "borrow" the radio tuner and finds Classic FM automatically if you aren't using it at the time so you don't have to listen or even have it switched on. Otherwise the only radio station you can listen to if you want it to work is Classic (you can always use the CD player or Tape deck)

Once you have set a destination, the map screen will show any traffic incidents as symbols, with a large scale like this:

or if closer like this......and they appear in Red if they lie on your path of travel

When an incident is received, the voice announcement will say something along the lines of "Attention in 12 miles, stationary traffic", it will also show you the distance to the problem, how many miles the problem lasts for, and the distance remaining before your last opportunity to turn off to avoid it......

Also, where available, it will offer you a diversionary route to avoid the problem, just select the red "Diversion" option....

Black arrows appear along the route to show you the direction and length of the affected area.....

You can select from the menu, what items you want the TMC to alert you to, and which you would rather it ignore........

Finally, here is a list of the TMC symbols that you might encounter, and what they mean. (I haven't seen all of these myself though)

Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2021, 12:24   #18
biffa75
Trader

Thank you for information reebs!
This has explained that while i have the TMC letters in black at the bottom of the screen and all the possible delay or warnings are highlighted green, despite listening to classic with the volume low yesterday, the TMC side of things didn't do anything. It could be an original rover disc that as said in your post, rover didn't pay for the TMC codes.
I do at least now, thanks to your post know how it works. Despite my mk3 drive only reading one disc (won't read any other at all not even an original disc) only a 2010 disc Steve sent, it works really well even if It is 11 years behind.
I have just taken my wife to hospital today for day surgery and used the sat Nav in the car and again.. it worked faultlessly
It's strange why it only likes that one disc tho.

Thanks again

Rob

Last edited by biffa75; 17th August 2021 at 12:26..
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2021, 21:49   #19
Howard81
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I never managed to get TMC working on my MK3 unit, despite having several Rover/BMW/Navtech discs including the correct Navtech 2015 final edition disks that were supposed to support it. However, upgrading to a MK4 unit and the latest 2019-2020 disc, it works perfectly and ultimately an awful lot more usable even on the original 4x3 Bordmonitor.
Howard81 is offline   Reply With Quote