Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th May 2010, 22:12   #1
sturmovik
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI saloon

Default Probs. with Lowline SatNav.

I wonder if anyone can help diagnose my SatNav problem.

When I bought the car about six weeks back, the original fit lowline SatNav clearly had problems. It would only work very occasionally and the computer in the boot seemed to have a problem with repeatedly ejecting and then taking back in the CD. When I switched it on using the buttons at the top of the Symphony radio, the readout in the centre of the dash would usually state- 'there is no CD in the drive. Please insert CD.' On other occasions, i would get the 'Enter Destination' screen, but the display would appear to freeze and lock up. The computer in the boot showed some minor signs of water damage. I tried cleaning the disc, but it made no difference. Just once or twice the system worked, and I was able to follow a route and get directions and spoken instructions, so at least I know the footwell speaker works.

I decided that the computer was probably terminally damaged, so started watching BMW Mk.3 nav computers on the well known auction site, having read on the forum that any Mk.3 computer would be compatible. I then won an auction for one. The seller stated that it definitely worked and showed a pic of the 2D map display that the computer produced in his BMW car and also invited bidders to see the system working. The computer duly arrived, and I eagerly fitted it, plugging in the blue and mauve multiplugs and the aeriel plug. The power light on the computer duly lit up, and I thought I was up and running. But, when I went to switch on the computer from the top of the radio controls, disappointment awaited. I pressed the on/off switch and got nothing. No little green light, and no SatNav readout in the central message centre.

I thought perhaps this particular BMW Mk.3 was not compatible after all. The label stated it was Hardware version 1.1 and my original Rover unit is version 1.2. I think the seller was probably truthful in saying it was a working unit.
So, I decided to remove the unit and reinstall the original Rover unit, which at least showed occasional signs of life. Then, guess what, refit Rover unit, go to front of car, switch on SatNav and get nothing. On/off switch not illuminating, and no SatNav display in central message centre. The rest of the Symphony radio continues to work fine.

So, what has gone wrong ? The link between the computer in the boot and the SatNav controls on the dash seems to have gone down. Anybody have any ideas ? Could it be a fuse or have I maybe dislodged some wiring while swopping the boot mounted computers ? Is the BMW Mk3 unit compatible ?

I would be very grateful for any possible solutions on this.

Kevin
sturmovik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 22:16   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Firstly sorry to hear of your problems.
The most common fault is the Computer not being shut down properly before removal, this can make the unit dead as a dodo.
the Laser can play up and not read discs properly sometimes helped by using a cleaning disc if not will require replacement tray/laser assembly.
The disc itself may be dirty/marked etc so try another disc to check first.

Check your original unit for water ingress.
Can have a problem with water leaks in the back there,
check all is completely dry and computer not wet at all.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 22:48   #3
sturmovik
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI saloon

Thanks for your quick reply.
I take on board your comments and will certainly try a second disc when I can get hold of one. I think there may have been a leak previously in the offside boot area, but there is not currently any leakage and I cleaned up the computer mounting tray before installation. I also made sure the power light was off before removing the original Rover unit. What I can't understand is why the dash controls will not work at all with either unit now. Although the Rover unit clearly has problems, I could always at least switch on SatNav from the dash getting a green on light, and some sort of Nav display in the message centre. Now, I cannot get anything.
Anybody have any other ideas ?
Kevin
Old 17th May 2010, 22:53   #4
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Hi Kevin,

There is a fundimental difference between the Low Line and the High Line nav computer, both having different part numbers, and the high line needing the addition of a video module to operate (which the low line does not).

The BMW unit from eBay would have been a high line unit, and even if working perfectly, would not function when fitted to your car I'm afraid.

So that leaves you with the issue of finding a replacement low line nav computer. As far as I'm aware, BMW cars only ever had the high line units fitted (but I could be proven wrong here).

My local Rover dealer in Southampton had a brand new low line computer still sitting on their self two weeks ago, if you like I could see if it's still available, and how much they want for it.

In the meantime, does the nav computer itself power up when reconnected to your car (ie) does the red LED light come on in the boot?
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 22:55   #5
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Not sure if Les at SMC Trading still has any of the Lo Line Computers left.
He did still have some brand new ones available.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 23:34   #6
sturmovik
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI saloon

I did conduct a search on this forum before getting the Ebay computer, and I thought I had read that the CD based Mk.3 BMW computer was compatible with the Rover CD based lowline system, the only difference being that the BMW is software updateable, whereas the Rover one isn't. After all, the two units are visually identical. Maybe I got this wrong.

I would be interested in a new Rover unit at reasonable cost if still available, but my fear would be that I would fit it only to find that the dashboard controls and displays still did not work, due to another fault perhaps in the wiring. Both units, when mounted in the boot show a red power light, so I can't understand why even the dash on/off switch no longer responds, when it always previously did when the faulty Rover unit was fitted, prior to my attempt at replacement.

Thanks for suggestions so far,

Kevin
Old 18th May 2010, 07:09   #7
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

So it's not a power issue then, that's one thing we can eliminate. If there is a problem with the wiring, I would suggest it may be at the two multipin connectors as they are the ones that have recently been disturbed. Try wiggling them and see if connection is re-established.

Out of interest is the radio itself operating correctly, they can sometimes get stuck on a particular station and require rebooting to fix. I don't know if it is relavent in this case, but it might help.

Give this a try just in case:

1) Switch the radio on, and within 8 seconds press and hold the "MAN" manual tuning button for at least 8 seconds also.
2) This causes the radio to enter service mode, and will display the units serial number (eg) SN A1234567
3) Now simply come back out of service mode by switching off the radio.

If the radio itself is introducing your problem, this might clear it, if not then maybe the original Nav Computer was on it's last legs, and the act of removal and reconnection has sent it over the edge.

The only real way to be sure is find another Low Line computer to substitute.

I have checked with Viking Rover and they still have the brand new unused Rover Mark III Low Line Nav Computer available (part No: YIB000250), £150.

Contact Nigel Wilde the service manager

Viking House
Herald Ind Estate
Hedge End
Southampton
Hampshire
SO30 2JW
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 01489 780000

http://www.viking-garages.ltd.uk/contact.htm

I also notice that Les at SMC Trading (a member on here) is currently selling new Low Line Switch Packs, if it turns out to be that which is at fault.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT...item1e5937a224

Also, I know, member "Mimbo" on the forums has a low line system and is based in Newbury Berks, he may be able to assist you if you give him a shout.

Sorry I can't do anything myself, I've got the High Line set up in both my cars.

Last edited by Reebs; 18th May 2010 at 10:10..
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 16:34   #8
sturmovik
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI saloon

Thanks Reebs for your detailed suggestions.
I'll double check the multipin connections at the back of the unit to make sure these are securely plugged in. That could certainly explain the lack of response at the dashboard end, if a plug has come adrift or there is a bent pin in the plug. The rest of the Symphony radio appears to be functioning fine as does the glovebox mounted multichanger, but I'll undertake the radio check that you describe in any case. The centre dash Message Centre is also displaying normally apart from any SatNav info. The prices of new Lowline SatNavs don't sound too bad, but hopefully that will prove an unnecessary option. The credit card is still recovering after the expense of a new cooling fan, new thermostat, new strut top mount, and bottom engine mount ! (thanks Jules-excellent service)
I'll report back with any progress.
Kevin
Old 18th May 2010, 18:52   #9
mimbo
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 216 Coupe

Had a very simular problem with my low line sat nav
First problem was the sat nav started playing up, then it started to reject the cd, just kepted on spitting it out every time I put it in

I did how ever had a lot of water in my spare wheel bay, 5-6 cms in fact, the whole place of where the sat nav in the boot was very wet

Found that the chrome seal was not water tight on both sides of the 75, Also sealed in the rear light seals

The best way to test for a water leak I found, Go through a car wash, afterwards, Pull out the spare wheel to look and find any water, I knew that once I had been dry after going through car wash I had fixed the leak

I was very lucky at getting a brand new low line sat nav of e bay for less than 80 quid

Really you need to to find if you have a leak first before you can think about replacing the unit

Could put a wanted thread in the wanted, Look on e bay?

Do let us know how you get on and very good luck

P.James (Member 6589 ) Nuts about the 75
mimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 18:53   #10
mimbo
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 216 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Not sure if Les at SMC Trading still has any of the Lo Line Computers left.
He did still have some brand new ones available.
Was very lucky in getting one from Les when mine went

P.James (Member 6589 ) Nuts about the 75
mimbo is offline   Reply With Quote